Pedro Santana, Joaquin Balaguer
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,913
    Given: 4,641

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    The DR was, and to an extent still is, poorer than 50% of the Anglophone Caribbean with or without Haitian immigrants, and its diaspora is comparable in size to the Cuban one despite not having had a Comunist regime.
    Without said immigrants weighing it down, the DR would be neck by neck with said societies, because you Anglos always like to gloss over the fact that the human indicators done by the UN and other intl. institutions don't separate the said indicators regarding ethnicity, so the deaths due to childbirth that happen in this country due to tending their pregnant women coming to give birth here (attention which is given to them for FREE, btw) are treated on the stats as if they happen to locals, so they predictably tend to worsen the country's outlook, and that's just one aspect. If we measure their impact on habitation and secutmrity the picture gets even worse. As regarding emigration, that is the predictable consequence of the labor market becoming worse due to the overabundance of cheap labor brought by said immigrants, the only point I'd be willing to give you being that it's partly on us, due to the oligarchic nature of this and most societies on this archipielago and mainland.
    "My name is The Patriot, my fatherland is Santo Domingo, my condition is Citizen, my religion is the love of truth and justice, and my occupations are to boldly attack vice and loudly praise virtue".

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by axel.aleman View Post
    Sin las continuas guerras con Haití se hubiera desarrollado mucho más
    Haití deja como buen vecino para mi incluso al país de origen de tu madre
    DR and Haiti haven't been at war with each other for several decades. The truth is that, whatever its recent improvements, DR hasn't really been that wonderful either and its high rates of emigration and (non-imported) poverty prove as much.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Andullero View Post
    Without said immigrants weighing it down, the DR would be neck by neck with said societies, because you Anglos always like to gloss over the fact that the human indicators done by the UN and other intl. institutions don't separate the said indicators regarding ethnicity, so the deaths due to childbirth that happen in this country due to tending their pregnant women coming to give birth here (attention which is given to them for FREE, btw) are treated on the stats as if they happen to locals, so they predictably tend to worsen the country's outlook, and that's just one aspect. If we measure their impact on habitation and secutmrity the picture gets even worse. As regarding emigration, that is the predictable consequence of the labor market becoming worse due to the overabundance of cheap labor brought by said immigrants, the only point I'd be willing to give you being that it's partly on us, due to the oligarchic nature of this and most societies on this archipielago and mainland.
    I don't deny that the Haitian situation is a reason behind the DR's problems, but it is not the reason. Why have so many Dominicans migrated to PR and the US (and still do) if it were so prosperous and wonderful?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

More generally, as I have argued lots of times previously, those who say that Haiti is like it is due to its racial demographics/admixture seem to deliberately overlook the fact that it is such an extreme outlier for the Caribbean and that there are lots of other factors at play too.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Panamanian
    Ethnicity
    Mulato Colonial
    Ancestry
    Canarian Islanders, West African, Panamanian Natives
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    E-M78
    mtDNA
    A2
    Taxonomy
    Pardo: Atlanto Med + minor Berid + Sudanid + residual Centralid
    Politics
    Right wing populism
    Hero
    General Pinochet, General Torrijos, Donald Trump
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,297
    Given: 5,658

0 Not allowed!

More generally, as I have argued lots of times previously, those who say that Haiti is like it is due to its racial demographics/admixture seem to deliberately overlook the fact that it is such an extreme outlier for the Caribbean and that there are lots of other factors at play too.
    Tu sabes bien que ese no es el problema pero te haces
    Sino que son mala gente al extremo, mataron a su población blanca y de raza mixta y lo mismo hicieron parcialmente del otro lado de la isla.
    Odian a los dominicanos por ser de raza mixta también
    A favor de la Unión del Caribe Hispano: Cuba, República Dominicana, Puerto Rico y Panamá

Mi mapa de Ancestros hace 4500 años atras

Como buen panameño tengo: genetica española, aborigen guanche, judia sefardita, amerindia y negra lo unico exotico
    es el asiatico oriental debido a un bisabuelo chino

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by axel.aleman View Post
    Tu sabes bien que ese no es el problema pero te haces
    Sino que son mala gente al extremo, mataron a su población blanca y de raza mixta y lo mismo hicieron parcialmente del otro lado de la isla.
    Odian a los dominicanos por ser de raza mixta también
    I am aware of the brutality of the Haitian Revolution (though ironically it was probably no more so than the Revolution of its former colonial master), but the point is that there are lots of other Caribbean countries which are more-or-less as homogeneously Black that are economically and politically nothing like it.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

I don't deny that the Haitian situation is a reason behind the DR's problems, but it is not the reason. Why have so many Dominicans migrated to PR and the US (and still do) if it were so prosperous and wonderful?
    Dude, Hispaniola without that enctity and its demographic surplus would really be paradise, since Dominguan demographic density would not only be more in agreement with the island's size, but also the impact on the insular environment would be lesser (if one makes the exercise of extrapolation regarding the nation's demographics). On the other hand, if it would be us the one gone, Haiti would still be a shithole, whose demographics would still by necessity do island hopping, cuz that nation is sort of still playing overcompensation over the children they aborted during slavery time. As per the emigration, I already partly conceded above that we arent the last Coca Cola in the desert, but you arent taking into account that the flip side is that we are also one of the countries of the continent with the highest rates of returning immigration, which has translated itself in less political participation in US politics (by contrast with both Cubans and Haitians, which have more representatives than us on the political arena) and the reason is very simple: why bother participating in politics there if one plans on making Aaliyah eventually?
    "My name is The Patriot, my fatherland is Santo Domingo, my condition is Citizen, my religion is the love of truth and justice, and my occupations are to boldly attack vice and loudly praise virtue".

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Dude, Hispaniola without that enctity and its demographic surplus would really be paradise, since Dominguan demographic density would not only be more in agreement with the island's size, but also the impact on the insular environment would be lesser (if one makes the exercise of extrapolation regarding the nation's demographics). On the other hand, if it would be us the one gone, Haiti would still be a shithole, whose demographics would still by necessity do island hopping, cuz that nation is sort of still playing overcompensation over the children they aborted during slavery time. As per the emigration, I already partly conceded above that we arent the last Coca Cola in the desert, but you arent taking into account that the flip side is that we are also one of the countries of the continent with the highest rates of returning immigration, which has translated itself in less political participation in US politics (by contrast with both Cubans and Haitians, which have more representatives than us on the political arena) and the reason is very simple: why bother participating in politics there if one plans on making Aaliyah eventually?
    The DR has been doing well recently, but as you have previously admitted yourself it was pretty poor for a long time (though never comparable to its neighbour, of course). But seriously, while needless to say I am not a racial determinist like more than a few other forum members are, answer this: if even Argentina, with its large European immigrant population, abundant land and natural resources and well-educated population is not exactly a paradise (its period under the sun was pretty brief in the grand scheme of things), what makes you think the DR would be?

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic Caribbean
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Ancestry
    63.08% Eurasian, 28.75% SSA, 8.18% Amerind
    Country
    Dominican-Republic
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Taxonomy
    Pardo
    Hero
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The DR has been doing well recently, but as you have previously admitted yourself it was pretty poor for a long time (though never comparable to its neighbour, of course). But seriously, while needless to say I am not a racial determinist like more than a few other forum members are, answer this: if even Argentina, with its large European immigrant population, abundant land and natural resources and well-educated population is not exactly a paradise (its period under the sun was pretty brief in the grand scheme of things), what makes you think the DR would be?
    If we played the racial deterministic game, then Chile's success vs Argentina wouldnt be able to be explained due to the above being more mestizo, and ergo, supposed to underperform in comparison.

As regarding Hispaniola, I can't help but believe with every fiber of my pardo being that it would be immensely better had us Domis been alone here, cuz we wouldnt only have to deal with that consistently failed quilombo lodged on our West, but by necessity we would have had no other choice than to address our societal disparities by the absence of said existential threat bearing on us. Sounds circular, but you'd get the gist of it once you deeply ponder about it. I am not claiming that we would be THE no. 1 of our Sub-hemisphere before you start jabbing the finger (somehow you cant for the life of you avoid dealing in absolutes), but that we would be on the top three (like pre-revolutionary Cuba apparently was)? definitely.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

If we played the racial deterministic game, then Chile's success vs Argentina wouldnt be able to be explained due to the above being more mestizo, and ergo, supposed to underperform in comparison.
    Indeed, but (1) this elemental understanding seems to be beyond lots of other forum members, (2) at least based on this study, Chile is only a little more successful than Argentina and (3) the two countries have essentially the same genetic elements, only that they differ somewhat in proportion - but they don't have the large SSA admixture DR has.

As regarding Hispaniola, I can't help but believe with every fiber of my pardo being that it would be immensely better had us Domis been alone here, cuz we wouldnt only have to deal with that consistently failed quilombo lodged on our West, but by necessity we would have had no other choice than to address our societal disparities by the absence of said existential threat bearing on us. Sounds circular, but you'd get the gist of it once you deeply ponder about it. I am not claiming that we would be THE no. 1 of our Sub-hemisphere before you start jabbing the finger (somehow you cant for the life of you avoid dealing in absolutes), but that we would be on the top three (like pre-revolutionary Cuba apparently was)? definitely.
    What makes you believe that the DR would be among the leaders of the Caribbean and/or Latin America?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information