Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do immigrants think they are the real deal?

Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,303
    Given: 9,876

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    I love our diaspora but whoever feels Croat should return to his homeland that needs them.

Makes zero sense to be Croat and live abroad, unless it's temporarily. Love isn't showed by declarations and words but deeds.
    Nothing more patriotic to live in your country and be faithful to it in good and bad.
    So makes no sense if szekelys identify themsleves hungarian in Romania? I do understand what you said but i think historical minorities are exception.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,051
    Given: 5,709

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    So makes no sense if szekelys identify themsleves hungarian in Romania? I do understand what you said but i think historical minorities are exception.
    Yes, Szekelys live in their historical land that was Hungary for centuries. They should stay there.
    Bosnian-Hercegovina Croats should stay on their land as well. It is our land.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Northern Italy, Lithuania, Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + CM
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,173
    Given: 7,962

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Incal View Post
    For a while I thought this was an exclusive phenomena with Latin America émigrés (particularly chicanos) but lately I've learned it's a worldwide thing, the other day I found this Italian meme:

So what makes immigrants (or what's worse, their offspring) think they are the real deal (most can't even speak the language lol) compared to the originals who remain and live in the motherland? Cognitive problems? Psi issues? Drugs? What?
    Excellent meme.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Yes, Szekelys live in their historical land that was Hungary for centuries. They should stay there.
    Bosnian-Hercegovina Croats should stay on their land as well. It is our land.
    I agree. In the past, i wanted to go to Germany, but i changed my mind, i would miss Budapest, because its my homeland.

Andid999
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    Uruguayan
    Ancestry
    56% North Italy, 12% Spain, 12% Basque, 12% Lebanon, 6% France, 1% Native American
    Country
    Uruguay
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Taxonomy
    Alpine med
    Politics
    Centre-left
    Religion
    Agnostic - culturally Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,070
    Given: 6,416

2 Not allowed!

Italo-Uruguayan here

A couple of things; first there is difference between immigrants and locals who descend from immigrants. It also depends on the type of immigrant. There are positive and negative types. It's not the same to be descendant of immigrants who came to a new country to do crime, than to the ones who built a country and improved it. Italians (along with other positive immigrants) made Uruguay, Argentina and the south of Brazil to stand out to the rest of Latin America in terms of culture, economics and quality of living. Something that shaped our countries/regions into what they are today. So obviously we take pride into having that as a root culture. Nothing wrong with that. The question here is; why does it bother you?

Also nobody ever competes with the Italians who stayed in Italy, that's nonsense. Now, if you're speaking of people with Italian citizenship who live in Italy but are actually foreigners from a complete different country and culture, then yes, I believe I'm more of an Italian than them, even if I don't live in Italy.

Andid999
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    Uruguayan
    Ancestry
    56% North Italy, 12% Spain, 12% Basque, 12% Lebanon, 6% France, 1% Native American
    Country
    Uruguay
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1e
    Taxonomy
    Alpine med
    Politics
    Centre-left
    Religion
    Agnostic - culturally Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,070
    Given: 6,416

2 Not allowed!

And? The UK gives citizenship to Pakis... Are they british?
    Citizenship isn't everything. Love for the country, history and culture are very important too. I live in Uruguay and my italian isn't the best, yet when I set foot in Florence I felt right at home. Even if I didn't have italian citizenship I would still feel Italian. This sentiment is very common in places that received millions of Italians like Uruguay or Argentina. I don't know what your problem is lol.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 01:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 221

1 Not allowed!

For a while I thought this was an exclusive phenomena with Latin America émigrés (particularly chicanos) but lately I've learned it's a worldwide thing, the other day I found this Italian meme:

So what makes immigrants (or what's worse, their offspring) think they are the real deal (most can't even speak the language lol) compared to the originals who remain and live in the motherland? Cognitive problems? Psi issues? Drugs? What?
    That's a defensive mechanism of a sort. In multicultural countries, or just living in countries where they clearly look and act differently, they are sometimes exposed to non-tolerance due to this.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,477
    Given: 13,190

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    You contradict yourself somehow with the paki comment your first you say it does not matter they are ethnic italians if they are born in peru they are peruvians but then you say pakis born in UK and who speak english are not british but pakis you apply different principles
    Of course because the old world is not the new world and pakis are not italians: Italian descendants might contribute to build a new country (i.e Argentina) while pakis are totally useless in any way or form.

Morti is right. If your ethnic background is mostly italian then you can identify yourself as italian. Thats same in Hungary, the ungarndeutschen have been affected by assimilation, but many of them started to identify themselves as germans again and they start to learn the language what their ancestors spoked. They are such germans like everyone else. Just like assimilated hungarians who live in Romania, Slovakia can be hungarian as well, it depends on their identity.
    Well I can identify myself as a unicorn but that won't make me one, of course someone from italian ancestry will share more things in common with a mainland italian but that doesn't mean they are exactly the same or that the latter will consider the former as equals. Maybe it's different in eastern Europe since you have recently fled (since the 90's) but at least here and Italy is different, the japanese have also the same mindset so it's not an absolute truth.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Zoomer
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Well I can identify myself as a unicorn but that won't make me one, of course someone from italian ancestry will share more things in common with a mainland italian but that doesn't mean they are exactly the same or that the latter will consider the former as equals. Maybe it's different in eastern Europe since you have recently fled (since the 90's) but at least here and Italy is different, the japanese have also the same mindset so it's not an absolute truth.
    I did not say its just question of identity, but depends on your family ancestry too. So if your mom and dad are unicorns then you are definitely an unicorn and does not matter if you dont live in the Unicorn Forest but far away.
    There are significant regional differences between italians in Italy. Just compare Napoli with Venice. So who are the real italians? Southernes or northernes? Nobody, they are all italians in equal way just like colonials. Every ethnicity has subgroups and they can be different, of course the american-italians are different from these who live in Italy, there is no problem with that. It just enriches the italian culture.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Exotic Med
    Ethnicity
    Racial Tragedy
    Country
    Peru
    Politics
    Xenelasia
    Religion
    Chinas con Culo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18,477
    Given: 13,190

0 Not allowed!

I did not say its just question of identity, but depends on your family ancestry too. So if your mom and dad are unicorns then you are definitely an unicorn and does not matter if you dont live in the Unicorn Forest but far away.
    There are significant regional differences between italians in Italy. Just compare Napoli with Venice. So who are the real italians? Southernes or northernes? Nobody, they are all italians in equal way just like colonials. Every ethnicity has subgroups and they can be different, of course the american-italians are different from these who live in Italy, there is no problem with that. It just enriches the italian culture.
    Indeed. Many north Italians don't consider the ones from the Mezzogiorno as equals so imagine the ones from Brooklyn lol

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information