Your mom
    Religion
    Rationalist Materialism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,071
    Given: 12,815

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rothaer View Post
    I also understood Patrick Murphy as a proxy.

You now change the topic the second time.
    I didn't change the topic. You just don't understand what I'm saying.

I first claimed that it would be possible to switch to English in Ireland if that is really wanted and I emphasised that that was my only point.
    To ask a population to completely switch languages is a major change in the life of a people. The transition would be chaotic and would cause an uproar.

In other words, not possible because you're directly fucking with people's lives, and people will react negatively.

It's simply child-like to talk about a major shift in a nation without considering the consequences. I used Israel as the opposite because they have no other option since you're dealing with very different groups speaking their own language and these groups understand that reality and the need to conform.

After you also questioned whether that would be legit to do considering that a lot of people don't care, I told my general take that as long as other people are forced to do something in favour of Patrick Murphy, Patrick Murphy can also well have to stand that things are done in favour for other compatriots. To which degree this is the case in Ireland I don't know. I just said that this could be legit "molestation".
    I understand your argument about using force to get people to do what you want but you fail to understand when you fuck with people's lives directly they will fuck with you right back. You won't win enough people over for your plan to make it mandatory for administrative purposes to speak Gaelic. Yes, what the people think matters, and people don't like their lives directly affected by what they see as unnecessary.

Now you bring up the next question whether the full re-introduction of Irish would be a reasonable aim. It's an understandable next question but I just want to point out that we now are far beyond what I initially commented on. This is no topic of mine and I think that the Irish society will have to decide what to do and likely they have done so in that sense as what is the current state. But they can change their mind, of course.
    I'm sure pissing them off by making a language that most don't speak fluently or understand obligatory if you want to deal with the state would work out fine. I'm sure interpreters will make a great deal of money.

If I'd be an Irish I'd likely be positive to an effective preservation in the same way as the (re-)introduction of Nynorsk in Norway is a sympatethic idea to me. To me the different grown cultures are part of the richdom of the world and I find them often worth being effectively preserved. Not always and things are not black and white. F. i. I'd not support in Germany to ban High German in former Low German speaking areas in order to effectively preserve Low German. I consider the hurtful cultural loss of Low German a reasonable sacrifice for the unity of Germany.
    That's nice.

I'm a German and I don't feel entitled to prescibe other people (ethnicities) what to do in such complicated questions. I just say as a foreigner and European that it after all would be nice to have at least one state left in the world that would care for and maintain a Celtic language as a fully functional and living language.
    What you are is a German who doesn't understand people.
    Last edited by Colonel Frank Grimes; 04-10-2024 at 10:03 PM.

Last Online
    05-05-2024 @ 09:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Zagreb
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 219

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Varda View Post
    Some Nepalis arrived in Serbia, but their number is smaller than in Croatia. Currently most numerous foreigners in Serbia and Belgrade are Russians.
    So it begins.

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Mexican
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,358
    Given: 5,538

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Anyway while I do have that including some sex toys doesn't mean Im into that daily only once in a while everything it's put away on a box.

For the right moment
    I forgot to add that I consider myself an interesting special case, while I do find some women emotionally attractive I find sex with men better and more chemistry.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,062
    Given: 5,709

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
    One second your writing love letters to Budapest and the next you call it a living hell.
    Budapest is exactly both.

Your answers sound schizophrenic and filled with contradiction so it has almost has no meaning. It's all about your mood and the person you are talking to. It's bad that you project your mental health and OWD on others. Get an interest other than TA because you waste tons of time on here. The funniest part is you're the best example I've ever seen of a mentally unhinged Balkanite, the very people you despise and want to disassociate yourself with. What a joke.
    Why are you, a total newcomer here, writing like somebody than was here before?

Jankec noticed well you are probably a sock account of some banned user who is not Hungarian.
    I already have some ideas.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,647
    Given: 4,652

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    More than 10 000 Euros was collected for killed man's family. Collecting is organized by Croats in Ireland, but as far as I understand, many Irish also donated money to help his folks with funeral and everything.
    Ireland is a country governed by the rule of the law, it is not wild west. Croatians are not Ghegh Albanians, Montenegrins, Sicilians or Corsicans to carry out blood feud. Even among Montenegrins blood feud doesn't exist several decades, exception are theur criminal clans. Croatian guy killed in Irealand was not mafia leader. If somebody would kill members of family of the killer he would spend rest of the life in Irish prison, for laughble 10K euros.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,062
    Given: 5,709

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Varda View Post
    Ireland is a country governed by the rule of the law, it is not wild west. Croatians are not Ghegh Albanians, Montenegrins, Sicilians or Corsicans to carry out blood feud. Even among Montenegrins blood feud doesn't exist several decades, exception are theur criminal clans. Croatian guy killed in Irealand was not mafia leader. If somebody would kill members of family of the killer he would spend rest of the life in Irish prison, for laughble 10K euros.
    What are you talking about?

Money is connected to pay for his transport back home, funeral, hospital bills. What blood feud are you talking about?

Croats and Irish usually get along very well.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    What are you talking about?

Money is connected to pay for his transport back home, funeral, hospital bills. What blood feud are you talking about?

Croats and Irish usually get along very well.
    OK, i didn't follow post properly. Because I drank 4 beers. Forget.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,595
    Given: 29,041

3 Not allowed!

Regarding the Irish language every school child learns it. It used to be compulsory for Public Servants to speak Irish but with a lot of different nationalities now in Ireland they have abandoned this.

People that have learned Irish in school have said that the way they learned it was by rote and not very useful for using it fluently or for conversational purposes. The problem is of course that there isn't many people that speak Irish as a first language and the vast amount of teachers teaching it to children are not proficient speakers. Many children do go to Gaeltacht areas to get an more immersive experience. Many people that have learned some Irish do not use it because of the reasons stated above. They don't know how to speak Irish naturally and in conversation.

It isn't that the Irish state has not tried to preserve the language but it is a difficult undertaking to get a population that has been English speaking for generations to learn a language that they aren't going to be using in their career or really need for their daily lives.

To try to revive a language that the majority of people don't speak as their first tongue and is a language that no one speaks anywhere else is an uphill battle. The Irish after all have gained their independence and are quite comfortable in their identity.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Eastern German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,483
    Given: 6,854

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Frank Grimes View Post
    Latin was used across Europe to sing praise to God. Whether you were Irish, German, Italian, French, Spanish, etc.

Needless to say, the majority of people didn't know what they were singing, or understood mass in Latin. Yet, no one is claiming a lack of authenticity because a major part of these people's cultural world was done in a language they didn't even understand. (...)
    Don't say so. That deficiency was even one of the main points of the reformation! And later in Germany, however, there developed a movement within the highest ranks of the society that became aware of how invasive Latin had been at expense of the German language and that wanted to push it back and care for etymologically German expressions instead of Latin derived ones. This movement was in force from the 17th century on and I'd say it was likely strongest at abt. 1900 and at that time representing the majority opinion even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitbearing_Society
    https://fruchtbringende-gesellschaft.de/
    Target: rothaer_scaled
    Distance: 1.0091% / 0.01009085

39.8 (Balto-)Slavic
    39.0 Germanic
    19.2 Celtic-like
    1.8 Graeco-Roman
    0.2 Finnic-like

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatian hinterland
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jankec View Post
    So it begins.
    Better Nepalis and Filipinos than MENA Muslims and SSA, righr?

Page 38 of 125 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread Information