Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default The school where every kid's a genius

Daily Telegraph

THE secret to earning a place at the State's smartest school has been revealed.

Students must have an IQ (intelligence quotient) of at least 145 - equivalent to 240 out of 300 in the selective schools test - to be enrolled at James Ruse Agricultural High.

A genius is often defined as someone with an IQ of 145 or above, so all students at James Ruse, NSW's top selective school, would fall into this category.

The top achiever accepted into a selective school this year scored 267.11 on the entry test - equivalent to an IQ of 156, just four points shy of Albert Einstein's IQ.

James Ruse, one of 21 fully selective high schools in NSW, has the highest entry-test score.

"A profile score of 240 has a most likely IQ equivalent of 145,'' an Education Department spokeswoman said.

That means students accepted by James Ruse are smarter than former US presidents George W. Bush who has a reported IQ of 125, George Washington (118) and Abraham Lincoln (128).

The average IQ is about 100 and a mere 0.1 per cent of the population is considered to have an IQ of 145or higher, giving James Ruse an unbeatable position as NSW's best-performing school.

Its alumni include TV vet Katrina Warren, celebrity hairdresser Joh Bailey, Nova 96.9 host Jabba (Jason Davis), 2008 Man Booker Prize winner Aravind Adiga and ABC election analyst Antony Green.

Students who do not have school assessment scores that can be moderated, and are unable to sit the selective school test because of circumstances beyond their control, are able to provide IQ scores as alternative evidence of academic merit, the Education Department says.

However, IQ-test only applicants this year were very few, the spokeswoman said.

For 2009, 13,336 students have applied for 3522 selective school vacancies.

School captain Pratima Herle and classmate Richard Niall acknowledge they belong to an exceptionally gifted student body but were unaware of IQ scores.

"It doesn't really surprise me,'' Richard said.

"I'm very proud of my school, and we do have very exceptional people. But nobody has ever pointed that score out to me - I never knew that was our ability.''

Pratima said his fellow students did not discuss IQ scores, but were highly motivated and worked hard for their results.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

My city had a school like this, with an IQ requirement, that my sisters and I attended twice a week. It should come as no surprise that even in a city where only 60% of the population was white, the school's population was 100% white. Unfortunately, during my last year there, some government official finally noticed the homogenity, and in the hopes of getting a more diverse student body, they lowered the IQ requirement to something like 120.

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Well, I'll be buggered! I know of this school, but I had no idea the kids needed to be that smart! It is still funded by the State government after all, although it is very much a selective high school.

I've gotta wonder though where all the geniuses are from - and more to the point, who. That area is generally working class, although there are surrounding areas who would move in the middle to upper class realm.

They can come work on my yard, I'm sure that would provide an interesting challenge for them!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Death
    Ethnicity
    Death
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhild View Post
    I've gotta wonder though where all the geniuses are from
    They could come from blue-collar backgrounds. In my paternal family line most of them where farmers. And on my mothers side alse craftsmen. Alto there where a few preachers and prayerhealers in it. And possible a few crusaders (ot confirmed until I do the proper research). To keep my point short, I posted my request to take part in the Mensa-entry test today.

They can come work on my yard, I'm sure that would provide an interesting challenge for them!
    I already envy them.

Fuhrer
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 05:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
    Ethnicity
    ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    Lord Howe Island
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,336
    Given: 685

0 Not allowed!

Quite impressive!!

Banned
    Last Online
    07-06-2012 @ 06:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Region
    City of London
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48

0 Not allowed!

Note that there are no Aboriginals in there...lol.

Thread Information