Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Angry EU judges want Sharia law applied in British courts

EU judges want Sharia law applied in British courts

Controversial: An EU plan is calling for family courts across Europe to hear cases using the laws of whichever country the couple involved have close links to

Judges could be forced to bow to Sharia law in some divorce cases heard in Britain.
    An EU plan calls for family courts across Europe to hear cases using the laws of whichever country the couple involved have close links to.
    That could mean a court in England handling a case within the French legal framework, or even applying the laws of Saudi Arabia to a husband and wife living in Britain (!!!).

The Centre for Social Justice think tank today attacked the so-called Rome III reform as ludicrous.

It warned it would slow down cases, increase costs and lead to unjust results.
    However, in a report it says existing arrangements are 'anti-family'.

Currently, a couple from different EU states can have their divorce heard in the first country where one of them files divorce papers.

Because different states offer varying financial advantages to spouses in terms of division of wealth, the resulting 'race to court' in the best jurisdiction discourages couples from trying to save their marriage, it says.

The report calls for a simpler solution, with each country applying its own laws and cases being heard in the country where the couple have the closest connection.

At least nine EU states - not including the UK - are said to want to push ahead with the Rome III plan.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

If Sharia Law is introduced to the UK, I think it'll be the beginning of the end of our nation as we know it - the same can be said for the European nations that decide to implement it.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

This just shows the ridiculousness of both mass immigration and government control over family affairs:

In theory, it actually makes sense, as it would prevent some problems described in this article which appeared in the The Economist a few months ago:

http://www.economist.com/world/inter...ry_id=13057235

I think it is generally a good idea during a divorce for the courts to apply the law of the jurisdiction where the marriage was performed, I proposed a similar policy dealing with the various US states in the 'gay marriage' thread.

Courts dealing with international transactions (international shipping mainly) often designate in the contract which country's laws should be applied should any dispute arise. American courts have sometimes applied British law (can't remember exact circumstances of the examples I have seen-I think British companies sued in American courts for products liability), and then you had that whole mess dealing with the legal actions arising from the Lockerbie bombing.

Unfortunately, like the gay marriage thing, under the current system we can't allow for the European courts to be using Sharia law, since that will make Europe more welcoming to muslim immigrants. If it was just the odd tourist, diplomat, and other temporary visitor, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula View Post
    This just shows the ridiculousness of both mass immigration and government control over family affairs:

In theory, it actually makes sense, as it would prevent some problems described in this article which appeared in the The Economist a few months ago:
    Yep, I've seen the benefits that Sharia Law could bring if it was introduced here, it's the fact that it's Sharia Law that doesn't sit well with me.

Thread Information