View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
599. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian - Catholic

88 14.69%
  • Christian - Protestant

57 9.52%
  • Christian - Orthodox

48 8.01%
  • Christian - Other

26 4.34%
  • Heathenism - Traditional religion

78 13.02%
  • Islam

37 6.18%
  • Buddhism

4 0.67%
  • Hinduism

5 0.83%
  • Any other - please specify

45 7.51%
  • Non-religious - Atheism and Agnosticism

211 35.23%
Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I bow down to no man or deity, I do bow down to my native culture and would put that culture in front of anything else. I'm not spiritual but I would say that Asatro is closest to my heart. As it is my heritage.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

I'm Lutheran, but I never go to church, I don't pray and I'm not religious at all.

I can be called Agnostic.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

2 Not allowed!

Great thread Loki!

Well being a French Canadian and being of a certain age as well, one cannot come into this life and not be baptised Roman Catholic and go through a considerable number of the rites of the RC Church (the Sacraments of Confession, Communion, Marriage). French Canadian culture and the Roman Catholic Church have been inextricably bound since dot. This has changed some though, since the Quiet Revolution of the 1960's; the Roman Catholic Church has suffered here in French Canada as elsewhere.

All of this to say that despite my being Heathen, I still carry an emotional attachment to the Roman Catholic Church inasmuch as my ethnic identity is that of French Canadian which always presupposes some relationship with the Roman Catholic Church, imho at any rate.

But despite my love for my culture, spiritually I have always had difficulty giving myself over to the Christian mindset that seemed to be my one and only option in life. For the longest time, before professing Heathenry as my 'religion', I called myself a generic Theist, believing in (a) Power(s) greater than myself/us but not having any name nor face. Little did I know that this was really my belief in the power and magic of Life and Ancestral Spirit. And when I did finally stumble upon an 'organised religion' (said tongue-in-cheek of Heathenry of course ) which could effectively, but more importantly, authentically bring my spiritual beliefs in line with my cultural ones, without one compromising the other, my Being had finally found its true Home.

With respect to my own metaphysical thoughts, I guess mine follow Psy's a bit in that I believe that energy/ies is/are the buzz of life, if you will, yet manifested in countless ways. Where my thoughts differ from Psy's perhaps have more to do with how our own individual minds can interpret these energy patterns. Much like a dog can hear some sounds which to the human ear are impossible to be detected, I also believe that the human body is limited in its ability to experience and/or perceive ALL manifestations (ie., different patternings) of energy. To me this has many implications with respect to views on the concept of the multiverse and the after-life, two concepts which I very much DO believe in.

There's probably more that I could rant on about but I'll close it for now.

Again, great thread Loki. Thanks!

Cheers for now!...Aemma
    Last edited by Aemma; 05-01-2009 at 01:27 PM.

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
    There is no god, gods, spirit of the universe, benevolent energy, ghosts, spirits, fairies, unicorns, magic, ESP, supernatural beings, life after death, etc...

There is nature.

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." [Thomas Jefferson]
    I strongly believe in ghosts and spirits. I have seen to much and heard one myself. It was not imagined and I am not crazy. I do not know about a God but I do feel there are Gods of some sort. Nature like Gods. I do feel there are higher powers that we may never know of until the time of death, if even then. I also truly hope for a life after death. And, since I have a strong belief in spirits that leads me to feel there is something after our life on earth's death.

Thorum, this post was not to start a back and forth of why we disagree but just to outline our differences. I respect people's beliefs.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

'Other'

I am God.

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

In the past I have toyed around in various religious concepts. Started out Southern Baptists, went Atheist, then toyed around in Fyrnsidu and Asatru before I finally decided that I would settle with Fyrnsidu and Asatru, I am still in the beginning stages of acquiring knowledge, I'm still reading through the Eddas taking mental and written notes of what passes throughout my mind during reading and absorbing any side notes written throughout the translations. I'm also meddling with the various readings that have come up through links followed from various posters here and at other sites. Overall it's a lot to take in, but I am determined to absorb and utilize the information available.

Reason why I stuck with this is due to my love of heritage and cultural tradition, I am aware that scientific discoveries need to be kept in mind, however I am not willing to completely abandon and old way, I intend to compare and contrast and decide for myself where they compliment and work together (if at all). I also remain open to advice from many perspectives and look into the various sides at my own bidding.

I also see the Eddas now as more of a tale of what others of might have achieved and a sort of outline for potential behavior and achievement for the self, not so much as a literal doctrine (example the Christian Bible).
    Last edited by Barreldriver; 05-01-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-30-2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    United States
    Religion
    The Cult of Odin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

0 Not allowed!

I'm Heathen. I follow in the footsteps of my ancestors. With every step I take we walk the world..

Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 10:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Estonian
    Country
    Estonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

I'd define myself as an Agnostic.

Last Online
    05-17-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-germanic
    Ethnicity
    Cape Bretoner
    Ancestry
    Brittany, Scotland, Norway
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Novia Scotia
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

I chose Heathenism because although Catholicism coloured my life through culture and environment, I never felt truly connected to it. It is hard, though, to escape or not be affected by it to some degree, because if you belong to any of the French Canadian or Gaelic ethnic groups in this country, the Catholic Church is part of your life.

As much as I enjoy and have internalized the Odinist wheel of the year, I still enjoy those foods, activities, and celebrations that are a result of merging either the RC Church or Celtic Christianity with old pagan beliefs. I think many in the heathen community also feel this way but are reluctant to say it for fear of being criticized. Those folks are also my ancestors, and if I am going to revere and respect one, I should do so for all.

up
    Last edited by Solwyn; 05-01-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: redundant grammar
    The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Crazy Coley's Yarnwhority
    Nails By Nicole: my very small portfolio right now!!!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solwyn View Post
    I chose Heathen because although Catholicism coloured my life through culture and environment, I never felt truly connected to it. It is hard, though, to escape or not be affected by it to some degree, because if you belong to any of the French Canadian or Gaelic ethnic groups in this country, the Catholic Church is part of your life.

As much as I enjoy and have internalized the Odinist wheel of the year, I still enjoy those foods, activities, and celebrations that are a result of merging either the RC Church or Celtic Christianity with old pagan beliefs. I think many in the heathen community also feel this way but are reluctant to say it for fear of being criticized. Those folks are also my ancestors, and if I am going to revere and respect one, I should do so for all.

up
    So very true Solwyn! A few of my own close Heathen friends hold their own Christian ancestors in contempt for being or having been Christian. I never understood that. Nor do I subscribe to that notion either. All of my ancestors, Christian and non-Christian alike, are revered, as it should be I believe. Otherwise a person is just yet denying another (and significant) part of themselves. I'm glad that you brought this up since I do believe that the notion of 'the ancestors' can be interpreted as too much of an intangible entity in Heathenry.

Cheers Solwyn!...Aemma

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread Information