European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    It's probably the most practical combat art out there.

No kata... No ethics... No bullshit. How to incapacitate your attacker FAST.

They teach it to the Israeli defense forces in like a week or two... Very simple to learn.
    Sounds alright, I have wondered about it myself. Its nice to see some martial arts that came out of Europe (Czechia) for a change.
    I always lol at its nickname though - Jewjitsu.

Last Online
    10-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Norse
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia and Ireland
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

As long as it's not Japanese Martial Arts or any other competition fight-in-a-straight-line crap, I'm up for it.
    Shoto-Khan was crap. Given, it taught me agility and speed and how to take down an attacker twice my size, it's useless against any real danger. I got lucky.
    Krav Maga sounds like the best way to defend against any form of street attack.
    "Beidh mé tú a leagan síos i measc an féar agus tú grá is breá an ghealach na réaltaí" - A dear friend

Anglicised Continental Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-30-2014 @ 07:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    France, Romania, Austria, Poland.
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordid + Pontid
    Politics
    Conservative-leaning moderate.
    Religion
    Earth-based spiritualist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 59

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    As long as it's not Japanese Martial Arts or any other competition fight-in-a-straight-line crap, I'm up for it.
    Shoto-Khan was crap. Given, it taught me agility and speed and how to take down an attacker twice my size, it's useless against any real danger. I got lucky.
    Krav Maga sounds like the best way to defend against any form of street attack.
    IKMS (Institute of Krav Maga Scotland) offers great classes all over the country. I attended when I was living in Edinburgh. Good stuff.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” -Tyrion Lannister, A Game Of Thrones

Last Online
    02-20-2017 @ 01:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 69

0 Not allowed!

Pankration is the best martial arts, of course

Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-13-2014 @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Carpathid / North - pontid
    Politics
    no, thanks
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Wink

My two eurocents: Krav Maga is not a martial art but a system to get you rapidly and effectively out of sticky situations. The principle behind it is to surprise and overwhelm a potential threat /aggressor by attacking as viciously as you can instead of defending / dodging. Also, it is not supposed to last long and, if the attack doesn't work...well..tough luck.

The Russian "systema" is BS, I was interested in it and even tried a couple of lessons. Looks impressive but it doesn't really work, unless you already have a strong background in other martial arts, and the "spiritual" and historical aspect are a fraud, basically. Spetsnaz don't train in systema, as systema founders claim, and instead they use sambo - a real, legitimate and effective martial art.

Wing Chun... well, I'm not familiar with it, but, from what I've seen, pretty as it may be, has no place in street brawls.

If I'd be a man and martially inclined I'd choose boxing with a little kickboxing or muay thai on the side for self defense

Anglicised Continental Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-30-2014 @ 07:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi
    Ancestry
    France, Romania, Austria, Poland.
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordid + Pontid
    Politics
    Conservative-leaning moderate.
    Religion
    Earth-based spiritualist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 59

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    My two eurocents: Krav Maga is not a martial art but a system to get you rapidly and effectively out of sticky situations. The principle behind it is to surprise and overwhelm a potential threat /aggressor by attacking as viciously as you can instead of defending / dodging. Also, it is not supposed to last long and, if the attack doesn't work...well..tough luck.

The Russian "systema" is BS, I was interested in it and even tried a couple of lessons. Looks impressive but it doesn't really work, unless you already have a strong background in other martial arts, and the "spiritual" and historical aspect are a fraud, basically. Spetsnaz don't train in systema, as systema founders claim, and instead they use sambo - a real, legitimate and effective martial art.

Wing Chun... well, I'm not familiar with it, but, from what I've seen, pretty as it may be, has no place in street brawls.

If I'd be a man and martially inclined I'd choose boxing with a little kickboxing or muay thai on the side for self defense
    I agree that Krav is more about survival than discipline. However, its fundamental drive is to stun your attacker for long enough to allow you to get away.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” -Tyrion Lannister, A Game Of Thrones

Last Online
    10-26-2012 @ 07:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Savage
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

I am at second level of Krav Maga, and training towards my third. I do it mostly beacuse it's good exercise, and I get to do something productive with my friends.

As for it's efficiencity, it does get you prepared for possible attacks, but just at higher levels. At beginner level it's still worthless imo.
    Practiclly, Krav Maga is nothing more but a hundred ways hit another guy in his jewls, and here and there a technique to remove weapons from your opponents grip.

My sensei on the left

Be creative, invent a perversion.

Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-13-2014 @ 01:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Taxonomy
    Carpathid / North - pontid
    Politics
    no, thanks
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Yeah, it's offense as the best defense.

Last Online
    10-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Norse
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia and Ireland
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post

Wing Chun was designed for women and small-boned men. It taught defence against not only fists and feet, but weapons also.

I recommend that you watch the movie "Ip Man". It's about Grand Master Ip, the man that taught Bruce Lee how to fight.
    It's a movie about him during the war when Japan took over China. It illustrates perfectly how effective Wing Chun is against Japanese Martial Arts, and also other forms of fighting and even weapons.
    "Beidh mé tú a leagan síos i measc an féar agus tú grá is breá an ghealach na réaltaí" - A dear friend

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information