Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Nuclear Alert in the Scottish Highlands

Pinhole leak in pipe sparked Dounreay nuclear alert
    Dounreay in Caithness is being demolished in a £2.6bn project Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Nuclear site finds 'minor' leak
    Particle recovery 'could do harm'
    Seabed particles were health risk
    A pinhole breach of a pipe was responsible for the leak of radioactive fluid at the Dounreay nuclear plant, it has been confirmed.

The radioactive liquid effluent leaked inside a treatment facility at the former reactor in Caithness last week.

No radiation was released and no staff were at risk. Work to replace the pipe is hoped to be completed on Friday.

Dounreay Site Restoration Limited said it could rule out similar future leaks but it highlighted safety precautions.

The leak of radioactive caustic liquor came from a tiny hole in a pipeline being used to gradually empty the former fast breeder reactor in Dounreay's famous dome.

About a litre of fluid leeched out of a section of stainless steal pipe.

Safety systems

An investigation by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency has confirmed that it was all retained within a special containment area.

Operators in radiation suits have removed the faulty pipe and it is due to be replaced on Friday.

DSRL said it could not rule out future leaks but the firm highlighted built-in safety systems which are in place.

Dounreay is currently undergoing a £2.6bn decommissioning process.

Radioactive liquid effluent occurs when a reactor and its equipment are cleaned.

The treatment plant at Dounreay removes some radioactivity from the waste liquid as part of the process.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-15300902

I really hope it doesn't affect the enviroment.
    Last edited by Argyll; 10-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,704
    Given: 5,846

0 Not allowed!

We also have a radioactive material on Dalgety Bay. Good times, good times

Scientists 'refused to analyse Dalgety Bay radiation'

16 October 2011 12:08 GM
    MoD analysts were 'not keen to work with samples' from the beach where a number of radioactive particles have been found.

Scientists were so worried about the cancer risk from radioactive samples from a Fife beach that they refused to analyse them, it has been revealed.

The revelation came as a further 50 radioactive particles were found on the beach at Dalgety Bay.

Minutes from a meeting between the Scottish Environment Protection Agency and defence chiefs say that Ron Brown, the principal scientist at the MoD's Hampshire laboratory, told the committee that "MoD analysts are not particularly keen to work with these samples due to concerns over dose rates from high-activity samples".

Sepa told STV News that 33 small particles were found on Saturday and a further 17 on Sunday morning. The examination is set to continue next week and the particles found so far are to be sent for analysis.

Environment Secretary Richard Lochhead described the new information as "disturbing".

He said: "I wrote to the previous Secretary of State for Defence yet again last week calling for immediate action and for the MoD to meet its responsibilities, and I will be contacting the new Defence Secretary in light of this disturbing information.

"Public safety is the number one priority, and the MoD must be completely open and transparent. Foot-dragging by MoD officials must not continue to delay a final clean-up."

The beach is thought to be polluted by at least 100 particles a year. A sectiono hsa been closed off since last week.

The meeting between Sepa and MoD scientists took place in March 2009. The details were revealed in the Sunday Herald.

A spokesman for the MoD said: "MoD has been working with Sepa and the Dalgety Bay Forum to resolve the issues at Dalgety Bay. We have supported Sepa's 2011 headland investigation and continue to support Sepa in disposing of any recovered items.

"The work undertaken to date represents MoD's serious commitment to assisting the Dalgety Bay Forum in finding a longer-term strategy for dealing with the radioactive contamination on the foreshore.

"MoD will continue to work with Sepa, the Scottish Executive and the Dalgety Bay Forum to identify the likelihood of residual risks posed and requirement for any remedial action once the details of the most recent Sepa findings are published.

"Should significant risks present themselves in the interim, Sepa has the necessary statutory powers to address these."

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

I'm always highly skeptical when they say nothing has been released. We had a former nuclear weapons plant near here and they were saying that crap for decades. Ends up a lake downstreak from the place had (literally) glowing fish that were aired on the 5pm local news when people in radiation suits were dredging the lake bottom for cleanup.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld View Post
    I'm always highly skeptical when they say nothing has been released. We had a former nuclear weapons plant near here and they were saying that crap for decades. Ends up a lake downstreak from the place had (literally) glowing fish that were aired on the 5pm local news when people in radiation suits were dredging the lake bottom for cleanup.
    Glowing fish? I want one!

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    We also have a radioactive material on Dalgety Bay. Good times, good times
    This stuff kind of reminds me of the whole nuclear thing in Japan too. I, for some reason, thought that that stuff would make a zombie apocolypse I wasn't EXACTLY thinking, but more of what if

Last Online
    10-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Norse
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia and Ireland
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Actually, they have found radioactive particles at Dounreay outwith the plant.
    There was a documentary on nuclear power, and they visited Dounreay at the beginning of decomissioning. There were radioactive particles found in the sand under the water, as well as ones on the beach itself.
    "Beidh mé tú a leagan síos i measc an féar agus tú grá is breá an ghealach na réaltaí" - A dear friend

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Wildling
    Ancestry
    Cumbria, Scotland, Northumberland, Shetland
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    K1C2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,704
    Given: 5,846

0 Not allowed!

We also have Anthrax Island

Biological warfare testing
    In 1942, during the Second World War, Gruinard was the site of a biological warfare test by British military scientists from Porton Down.

At that time there was an investigation by the British government into the feasibility of an attack using anthrax: to test the vulnerability of Britain against a German attack and the viability of attacking Germany with a British bio-weapon.
    Given the nature of the weapon which was being developed, it was recognised that tests would cause widespread and long-lasting contamination of the immediate area by anthrax spores. In order to limit contamination a remote and uninhabited island was required. After a survey, Gruinard was deemed suitable and was compulsorily purchased from its owners by the British Government.

The anthrax strain chosen for the Gruinard bioweapons trials was a highly virulent type called "Vollum 14578", named after R.L. Vollum, Professor of Bacteriology at the University of Oxford, who supplied it.
    Eighty sheep were taken to the island and bombs filled with anthrax spores were exploded close to where selected groups were tethered. The sheep became infected with anthrax and began to die within days of exposure.
    Some of the experiments were recorded on 16 mm colour movie film, which was declassified in 1997. One sequence shows the detonation of an anthrax bomb fixed at the end of a tall pole supported with guy ropes. When the bomb is detonated a brownish aerosol cloud drifts away towards the target animals. A later sequence shows anthrax-infected sheep carcasses being burned in incinerators, following the conclusion of the experiment.

After the tests were completed, British scientists concluded that a large release of anthrax spores would thoroughly pollute German cities, rendering them uninhabitable for decades afterwards.These conclusions were supported by the discovery that after the biological warfare trials had ended, initial efforts to decontaminate the island failed due to the high durability of anthrax spores. For many years, it was judged too hazardous and expensive to decontaminate the island sufficiently to allow public access. As a result, Gruinard Island was quarantined indefinitely. Visits to the island were prohibited, except periodic checks by Porton Down personnel to determine the current level of contamination.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-28-2012 @ 10:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Pred. Austrian, Serbian
    Ancestry
    Austria, Serbia, Poland, Sweden
    Taxonomy
    Northdick
    Politics
    Silesia Je Moravia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

This is irritating. Is Nuclear power really necessary for such a small nation? Why not harness the power of the ocean and wind? Those alone could provide energy for other parts of the UK as well, no?

Favored by those with impeccable taste Supreme American's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-27-2012 @ 04:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German & Colonial American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Colorado
    Taxonomy
    Kraut
    Politics
    Plenty
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    Actually, they have found radioactive particles at Dounreay outwith the plant.
    There was a documentary on nuclear power, and they visited Dounreay at the beginning of decomissioning. There were radioactive particles found in the sand under the water, as well as ones on the beach itself.
    Well I assume they mean particles that can be chemically traced to the plant itself, as opposed to what they now call "natural" background radiation; that is, remainders of fallout from atomic testing, Chernobyl, and the like.

It wouldn't surprise me. I think it WOULD surprise me if nothing was found there. There used to be a nuclear power plant about 70 miles north of here and back when it was up there was more than one incidence when radioactive steam was released from the plant with measurable spikes in radioactivity on the farmlands just outside the plant fence. Of course, they said it was nominal, no threat, etc. I think they released the stuff on purpose.

Last Online
    10-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Norse
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia and Ireland
    Country
    Scotland
    Region
    Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well I assume they mean particles that can be chemically traced to the plant itself, as opposed to what they now call "natural" background radiation; that is, remainders of fallout from atomic testing, Chernobyl, and the like.
    It was definately from the plant itself. They used to dump radioactive waste into the sea from Dounreay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagergeld
    It wouldn't surprise me. I think it WOULD surprise me if nothing was found there. There used to be a nuclear power plant about 70 miles north of here and back when it was up there was more than one incidence when radioactive steam was released from the plant with measurable spikes in radioactivity on the farmlands just outside the plant fence. Of course, they said it was nominal, no threat, etc. I think they released the stuff on purpose.
    It's possible. Either that or, like the USSR did with Chernobyl, tried to cover it up with half truths.
    "Beidh mé tú a leagan síos i measc an féar agus tú grá is breá an ghealach na réaltaí" - A dear friend

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information