Scottish
    Country
    Scotland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default [SPLIT] How far back can family history be accurately traced

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but why is it in these threads that some people, particularly Americans, seem to honestly believe the incredibly shoddy genealogical "research" they, or some dodgy company have done. Really, just because you share a surname like Smith with some guy from five hundred years ago, does not mean that you're a direct descendant of this that or the other earl duke, lord or assorted famous personages. It's like those moronic "family crests" that people think belong to them because they have a surname like McDonald.

I seriously doubt any layman could carry out remotely reliable pedigree research going back more than two or three hundred years.

Didn't mean to go off on one, but it irks me when all the hyperbole distracts from the authentic and interesting real ancestors that people talk about.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rivalin View Post
    This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but why is it in these threads that some people, particularly Americans, seem to honestly believe the incredibly shoddy genealogical "research" they, or some dodgy company have done.
    I can't speak for anyone else here, but some of our families (mine) have been engaging in genealogical research for upwards of three generations. I also can't speak for those whose ancestors were Protestants, but those of us whose ancestors were Catholics can easily contact the churches where our ancestors lived and obtain a wealth of information through them. People who engage in serious genealogical research are of course not making the mistake of equating our surname to that of some "famous" person back in the middle ages. Using combinations of birth, death and marriage certificates alongside census records we trace our ancestry back, one step at a time. As to more distant lineages, and I can't speak for non French Canadians here, a great many of New France's earliest settlers, although not title bearing nobles themselves, were descended from noble families. It is these ancestors whose lineages can be traced back to the fall of Rome by anyone with a library card, since the royal genealogies of Western Europe have been matters of public record for over a hundred years.

Last Online
    11-01-2009 @ 11:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Ontario
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

Why is it that people, particularly Europeans, feel the need to clutter threads with irrelevant, whiny rants when they see something they don't like?

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but why is it in these threads that some people, particularly Americans, seem to honestly believe the incredibly shoddy genealogical "research" they, or some dodgy company have done.
    Where's the evidence that it's "shoddy"?

Really, just because you share a surname like Smith with some guy from five hundred years ago, does not mean that you're a direct descendant of this that or the other earl duke, lord or assorted famous personages.
    I've never seen anyone on The Apricity do that. Can you highlight a specific case where this has been done?

It's like those moronic "family crests" that people think belong to them because they have a surname like McDonald.
    No one has spoken for the validity of those crests which are peddled by some foreigner on a street corner. No here, not at Skadi, not at Stirpes, nor anywhere else I'm aware of.

I seriously doubt any layman could carry out remotely reliable pedigree research going back more than two or three hundred years.
    You "seriously doubt"? Fortunately, no one needs your approval for the validity of any genealogical research they've conducted. Maybe you stem from a family of unusually-low peasant class, but neither I nor many others have had any trouble tracing well beyond three centuries.

Didn't mean to go off on one, but it irks me when all the hyperbole distracts from the authentic and interesting real ancestors that people talk about.
    It irks me when I see someone has hijacked an otherwise informative and on-topic thread with some baseless, ill-informed rant about something which doesn't concern them.

Can someone please split this topic from rivalin's post?

COGITO - FACIO - FIO Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-19-2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

I think anything beyond the late 1500's is pretty much ridiculous in most cases.

Americans do seem, however, to be able to trace their lineage further back than most Europeans. I think it is because many times in these sorts of cases the person's ancestry is tied to families that were here in colonial times and this time period in American history and these families have been studied extensively. Also, these families tended to keep great records of births, marriages and deaths as well as things like court records and land deeds. As well as the fact that a great deal of early American families, specifically in the North, were quite literate, which goes along with writing down on all this information which has been preserved to this day in many cases.

Once historians and family researchers find all this information about a certain family going to around the 1620's or 1630's many naturally want to make the jump back over to the mother country. Sometimes it is sound, but more often than it should be it is just a bunch of huge leaps of faith. Most of the time this is centered around trying to make royal connections that simply do not exist.

There's no way I am going to believe that I can know with any certainty the names of some ancestor who fought in the Crusades or signed the Magna Carta.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

1 Not allowed!

That depends. Church birth and baptismal records are very useful and a reliable source of information. In this way, my paternal family line is accurately and uninterruptedly documented since the birth of my most distant known ancestor in Northern Germany, in 1596. That was 413 years ago and covers 13 generations. Not all family lines are that easy to trace though, it's true.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Many of the Puritans were middleclass. They had property & in many cases were descended from the younger sons of the gentry, aristocracy or royalty. Many settlers in Virginia (Cavaliers) were younger sons of wealthy landowning families in England. Having property was a prime reason for preserving family records to prove the right of inheritance. And of course those old wills are useful in tracing family lineages.

Just because someone can trace some of their ancestry beyond 1500 doesn't mean they can trace all of their lineage back that far. Some of my New England ancestors descended from landowning aristocrats & royals which is normally the case if you can trace your lineage back that far. But most of my ancestoral lines go blank between 1550-1650. Going back 500-years is around 15-20 generations. At 15 generations you have 32,768 potential 13xgreat-grandparents. If you're lucky maybe you can trace 1 out of a 1,000 ancestoral lines to that point & beyond. So just because someone has traced their pedigree back that far doesn't imply they've documented all of the lineage to that point.

Last Online
    09-24-2009 @ 11:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Country
    Scotland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    Why is it that people, particularly Europeans, feel the need to clutter threads with irrelevant, whiny rants when they see something they don't like?

Where's the evidence that it's "shoddy"?

I've never seen anyone on The Apricity do that. Can you highlight a specific case where this has been done?

No one has spoken for the validity of those crests which are peddled by some foreigner on a street corner. No here, not at Skadi, not at Stirpes, nor anywhere else I'm aware of.

You "seriously doubt"? Fortunately, no one needs your approval for the validity of any genealogical research they've conducted. Maybe you stem from a family of unusually-low peasant class, but neither I nor many others have had any trouble tracing well beyond three centuries.

It irks me when I see someone has hijacked an otherwise informative and on-topic thread with some baseless, ill-informed rant about something which doesn't concern them.

Can someone please split this topic from rivalin's post?
    What a pleasant rebuke, I made a point of not criticising anyone specifically and noting that it is something done by some people. I'm not sure why you felt the need to attack me and my ancestors personally. There are examples in every one of these threads, here and on Skadi of people making claims that are completely unverifiable. I simply noted a personal opinion on something that I found puzzling, I didn't tell anyone what they can or can't post, insult anyone's ancestry, or order the moderators to remove a forum members posts on my personal say so.

It just strikes me as somewhat bemusing that people with ancestries separated from their country of origin several times over (myself included amongst such groups, so this is not some arrogant European rant as you incorrectly concluded) mysteriously seem to be better able to trace their family trees than people whose ancestors have never moved outside a hundred mile radius. Do you really not think it odd that on every internet forum with a couple of hundred members that such a large number seem to be descended from a) Napoleon b) Charlemagne or c) an interesting if improbable combination of the crowned heads of Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    Many of the Puritans were middleclass. They had property & in many cases were descended from the younger sons of the gentry, aristocracy or royalty. Many settlers in Virginia (Cavaliers) were younger sons of wealthy landowning families in England. Having property was a prime reason for preserving family records to prove the right of inheritance. And of course those old wills are useful in tracing family lineages.

Just because someone can trace some of their ancestry beyond 1500 doesn't mean they can trace all of their lineage back that far. Some of my New England ancestors descended from landowning aristocrats & royals which is normally the case if you can trace your lineage back that far. But most of my ancestoral lines go blank between 1550-1650. Going back 500-years is around 15-20 generations. At 15 generations you have 32,768 potential 13xgreat-grandparents. If you're lucky maybe you can trace 1 out of a 1,000 ancestoral lines to that point & beyond. So just because someone has traced their pedigree back that far doesn't imply they've documented all of the lineage to that point.
    Point taken, and it would be pointless to make any claim as to academic credentials on the internet. But if laypeople doing genealogy research saw the results of statistical analysis into error margins on pre-industrial record keeping they wouldn't be so sure of themselves. I'd love to see how many of those who are so sure of themselves have had the immeasurable pleasure of sorting through manor rolls and other mistake ridden primary sources by hand.
    Last edited by stormlord; 04-30-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Charlemagne
    Seriously, I'd be willing to bet that half of all Westerners are descended from Charlemagne. He's in my family tree something like fifty generations back (I think I actually posted that lineage here). But remember, at fifty generations you've theoretically got 562,949,953,421,312 ancestors. Even though there's a great degree of pedigree collapse (something Æmeric has written about here before), the number of real ancestors you've got at that point is staggering. Given the fact that progenitors like Charlemagne had dozens of legitimate and illegitimate children and that this trend continued on until the Industrial Age, it's not only possible, but probably that most people would be related, albeit indirectly, to someone like Charlemagne. Also, remember this, it only takes one single person who has such a link to spread that link around in the beginnings of a community. This is exactly what happened with the French Canadians. There were a handful of nobles who were among the original Acadian settlers who had provable lineages going back to the Capetians (and thus to Charlemagne). Once things were democratized, the Acadian families all bred with each other and have since spread this link to Charlemagne amongst nearly all modern day Acadians.

Last Online
    09-24-2009 @ 11:43 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Country
    Scotland
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Seriously, I'd be willing to bet that half of all Westerners are descended from Charlemagne. He's in my family tree something like fifty generations back (I think I actually posted that lineage here). But remember, at fifty generations you've theoretically got 562,949,953,421,312 ancestors. Even though there's a great degree of pedigree collapse (something Æmeric has written about here before), the number of real ancestors you've got at that point is staggering. Given the fact that progenitors like Charlemagne had dozens of legitimate and illegitimate children and that this trend continued on until the Industrial Age, it's not only possible, but probably that most people would be related, albeit indirectly, to someone like Charlemagne. Also, remember this, it only takes one single person who has such a link to spread that link around in the beginnings of a community. This is exactly what happened with the French Canadians. There were a handful of nobles who were among the original Acadian settlers who had provable lineages going back to the Capetians (and thus to Charlemagne). Once things were democratized, the Acadian families all bred with each other and have since spread this link to Charlemagne amongst nearly all modern day Acadians.
    Indeed, it's a statistical probablity that far back, but very few people, except in some groups, as you mentioned, are actually able to verify anything. Additionally, given the fact that approximately 10% of children are illegitimate, almost everyone's line of descent is almost 100% likely to simply fail within about ten generations, which almost no one takes account of.
    Last edited by stormlord; 05-01-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Indeed, it's a statistical probablity that far back, but very few people, except in some groups, as you mentioned, are actually able to verify anything.
    Yep, which is why you'll never see me say anything about North American genealogy that's not specifically about the French.

Quote Originally Posted by rivalin
    Additionally, given the fact that approximately 10% of children are illegitimate, almost everyone's line of descent is almost 100% likely to simply fail within about ten generations
    Now that's the kicker! One single instance of unfaithfulness can destroy a pedigree and we'd never know otherwise, particularly the further back we're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information