Thread: Mapping the tables of Vasily Deryabin (1949-2009)

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,828
    Given: 828

4 Not allowed!

Default Mapping the tables of Vasily Deryabin (1949-2009)

Took me a while, yikes. Some of these anthropometric characteristics are almost never mentioned on this forum, but they're crucial for the analysis of a racial makeup. The data about facial flatness is especially important because it's the most distinctive feature of Uralic peoples - and based on the collected data, Saami people are pretty hardcore Uralic!

Books used:

1). Ethnic anthropology of modern non-Slavic populations of Eastern Europe. Multidimensional quantitative studying. (1998)
    2). Ethnic anthropology of modern Slavic populations of Eastern Europe. Multidimensional quantitative studying. (2002)

Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    Andean highlander
    Country
    Bolivia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,331
    Given: 2,699

3 Not allowed!

Basically Russians deviate from other Slavs towards a Nordic type in all anthropometric traits.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

3 Not allowed!

Could you write down conclusions you make from this? Would be interesting to read.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    Could you write down conclusions you make from this? Would be interesting to read.

1). Horizontal facial profiling (facial flatness) is the single most important dimension. It's where you can tell that Saamis, Komis, Maris, Udmurts have tons of Mongoloid admixture and are heavily divergent from the rest.

2). Belarusians have slightly less intense beard growth than most Russians, signaling that there are some unknown genetic factors affecting it unrelated to Finno-Permian substrate.

3). Saami have really short faces, noticeably shorter than other Uralic speakers. It's not even an Uralic trait at this point, but something native to their geographical area.

There are more conclusions to be drawn, but this is what I noticed first.

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western Hunter-Gatherer
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

4). Latvians equidistant between Estonians and Ukrainians in hair color. Not consistent with German anthropologists who reported Latvians as blond as Swedes and Norwegians, but consistent with Swedish anthropologist Bertil Lundman and his 1940 map (click here). He even had the same brunet spot in the area of historically attested Curonians. The only mistake he did was extrapolating the pattern from Saamis in Finland to Karelians in Soviet Union, and extrapolating Russians on Belarusians.
    In the footsteps of Lundman, former TA member Finnish Swede claimed that you instantly notice the difference when you cross the border between Estonia and Latvia, and since she never expressed any anti-Latvian bias, I can deem that opinion valuable. Of course, the opinion of a forum member (no matter how well-traveled) and a physical anthropologist are not equal, but in this case they are very much the same.
    It is not impossible that I will have to review the hair color map by shaving 0,2 from all 3 Baltic States as I have already done for Belarus. The initial hair color data for Belarusians was 3,30 and 3,43, but Deryabin wrote in his book that when comparing to Russians it should be reduced by 0,2 due to difference in the used scales. If I will find out that I need to apply the same reduction for Baltic States, it will mean that both Latvians and Lithuanians are lighter-haired than Russians, but the sharp difference between Latvia and Estonia will remain because all 3 Baltic States were studied simultaneously using the same color scale.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 5,709

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Russki View Post
    4). Latvians equidistant between Estonians and Ukrainians in hair color. Not consistent with German anthropologists who reported Latvians as blond as Swedes and Norwegians, but consistent with Swedish anthropologist Bertil Lundman and his 1940 map (click here). He even had the same brunet spot in the area of historically attested Curonians. The only mistake he did was extrapolating the pattern from Saamis in Finland to Karelians in Soviet Union, and extrapolating Russians on Belarusians.
    In the footsteps of Lundman, former TA member Finnish Swede claimed that you instantly notice the difference when you cross the border between Estonia and Latvia, and since she never expressed any anti-Latvian bias, I can deem that opinion valuable. Of course, the opinion of a forum member (no matter how well-traveled) and a physical anthropologist are not equal, but in this case they are very much the same.
    It is not impossible that I will have to review the hair color map by shaving 0,2 from all 3 Baltic States as I have already done for Belarus. The initial hair color data for Belarusians was 3,30 and 3,43, but Deryabin wrote in his book that when comparing to Russians it should be reduced by 0,2 due to difference in the used scales. If I will find out that I need to apply the same reduction for Baltic States, it will mean that both Latvians and Lithuanians are lighter-haired than Russians, but the sharp difference between Latvia and Estonia will remain because all 3 Baltic States were studied simultaneously using the same color scale.
    This fits with XP hair color study and Latvia notably darker than Estonia. It fits with my online observations too despite I never visited Baltic states.

wrote this yestarday:

Latvians and Lithuanians are darker than their hyper northern genetics. Despite being more northern, they are notably less blond than Scandinavians, Estonians, and probably even some groups of Russians and north Dutch.
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...57#post7951457

Thread Information