Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: No pan-Germanic flag - should we design one?

Last Online
    10-09-2016 @ 04:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 139

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner Of Ice View Post
    Cross is pan germanic. I know from playing europa universalis lol
    If you mean THE cross, as in the christian cross, then no. That cross was used as a tool for punishment, which found it's usage in the Roman Republic and Empire. Given the fact that Rome waged war against the Germanic tribes, it would be no wonder that many members of those tribes found their painful death on the cross too, it would be bad to use it as a symbol. Even if you take into context it's symbolism in christianity, that is an israeli man being killed on it by the Romans in Israel, then still it is a disregard to all forms of pre-christian Germanic traditions and heretige, which existed long before the Germanic, and all other people in Europe, were submitted to middle eastern mythology.

If you tho mean some variation of a pre-christian cross, then maybe yes, that could fit.

And yes, Europa Universalis is a great history, geography and heraldics teacher indeed.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-19-2018 @ 01:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,483
    Given: 5,214

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman26 View Post
    I though the modern German flag was the pan Germanic one... after all the German nations merged in 1871. Other nations have Germanic influence... but the German nations already merged and have a flag. Scandinavians are Scandinavian... Dutch and Dutch... Germans are Germans.
    We are talking about Germanic, not German. They are two different things.

German = Referring to the country created in 1871 AD and its populations and language, both before and after the creation.

Germanic = Referring to an Indo-European (meta-)ethnic group with its language (proto-Germanic) and its religion (Germanic paganism) from northern Europe that has existed long before AD.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beitel View Post
    We are talking about Germanic, not German. They are two different things.

German = Referring to the country created in 1871 AD and its populations and language, both before and after the creation.

Germanic = Referring to an Indo-European (meta-)ethnic group with its language (proto-Germanic) and its religion (Germanic paganism) from northern Europe that has existed long before AD.
    Yes, this is exactly it. A pan-Germanic flag serves the same purpose as the pan-Slavic one: to symoblise an entire ethnic group. It is not the question of which country tried to unite all Germanic people or so, it is to represent a Germanic person in Germany equally to a Germanic person in, lets say, the USA.
    We should not confuse ethnicity and nationality. As said, a German referes to a national citizen of the state of Germany, thus it can technically be an ethnic slav, baltid, or something other, while a Germanic person has dominant Germanic genes, but can be the national citizen of what ever country he/she lives in.

To relate directly to the topic, it is odd that there is no offical Pan-German flag, like the blue-white-red flag of the Slavs which was made offical in 1848 in Prague (all tho, a golden kolovrat on a red field would propably be more fitting and reminiscent of the shared pagan history of the slavs). Still, even without a flag, I do believe that the symbols of Germanic paganism should be the best to represent the entire ethnic Germanic group.

Last Online
    08-31-2017 @ 05:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Herrenrasse
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 161

1 Not allowed!

The awesomeness that is being Germanic cant be contained in one single flag.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
    To relate directly to the topic, it is odd that there is no offical Pan-German flag, like the blue-white-red flag of the Slavs which was made offical in 1848 in Prague (all tho, a golden kolovrat on a red field would propably be more fitting and reminiscent of the shared pagan history of the slavs). Still, even without a flag, I do believe that the symbols of Germanic paganism should be the best to represent the entire ethnic Germanic group.
    The blue-white-red Slavic flag was actually taken from the Dutch flag. Also, if I remember correctly the Kolovrat was used earlier by Germanic peoples living in what is nowadays Poland.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,450
    Given: 31,624

0 Not allowed!

No pan-Germanic flag - should we design one?
    better use the Roman Empire's symbols and carry on its tradition, now with a Germanic twist

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beitel View Post
    The blue-white-red Slavic flag was actually taken from the Dutch flag. Also, if I remember correctly the Kolovrat was used earlier by Germanic peoples living in what is nowadays Poland.
    Indirectly yes, the Dutch flag was the inspiration for the Russian flag, and the Russian flag was the inspiration for the Slavic flag. As for the Kolovrat, I am unsure of it's origin, tho, what I do know is that it is associated with the worship of Svarog (smith god and father of the son god) and the endless circle of life and death. It is tho quite possible that it is associated with the sun cross, which appears quite often in European paganism. The interconnectivity of European paganism is something which should be explored with more detail, as it, for sure, can be a fretile base to bring closer the Europeans, especially the ethnic populations which still in decent number hold to their true, native faith (speaking out of my own experience, these would be the Slavic, Germanic and Baltic people)

But back to the topic at hand. A common Germanic symbol would for sure be a common Germanic pagan sign, as it would be reminiscent of the common background of the Germanic people (as mentioned earlier in the case of us Slavs).
    Thinking more about, there should be a Pan-European flag as well, at best represented by some common old, pagan sign, rather than a foreign icon brough to our lands much later. I am sure there might be such a symbol.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,450
    Given: 31,624

0 Not allowed!

Indirectly yes, the Dutch flag was the inspiration for the Russian flag, and the Russian flag was the inspiration for the Slavic flag. As for the Kolovrat, I am unsure of it's origin, tho, what I do know is that it is associated with the worship of Svarog (smith god and father of the son god) and the endless circle of life and death. It is tho quite possible that it is associated with the sun cross, which appears quite often in European paganism. The interconnectivity of European paganism is something which should be explored with more detail, as it, for sure, can be a fretile base to bring closer the Europeans, especially the ethnic populations which still in decent number hold to their true, native faith (speaking out of my own experience, these would be the Slavic, Germanic and Baltic people)

But back to the topic at hand. A common Germanic symbol would for sure be a common Germanic pagan sign, as it would be reminiscent of the common background of the Germanic people (as mentioned earlier in the case of us Slavs).
    Thinking more about, there should be a Pan-European flag as well, at best represented by some common old, pagan sign, rather than a foreign icon brough to our lands much later. I am sure there might be such a symbol.
    or all of you barbarians (germanics, slavs, celts etc) could choose one common flag/sign

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agricola View Post
    or all of you barbarians (germanics, slavs, celts etc) could choose one common flag/sign
    We'll do that if all swarthoids (Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Jews) will also choose one common flag/sing.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Some stylized version of Irminsul could work for a pan-Germanic flag:

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information