South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

0 Not allowed!

Default Assimilation of multiple languages from an early age

I'm interested in learning a little more about the acquistion of languages.

I find accents quite fascinating and how they came to be.

I am sometimes a little disappointed that I do not have an accent in any of the languages I speak.

I speak three languages and have done so from birth. Therefore I speak three languages without an accent. I can think in all three, dream in all three, switch between them easily. I do not remember not being able to understand any of them either.

What I do remember though, is finding words that sound similar. For example the name Claire is pronounced similar to Klee (clover in German). I remember wondering why someone would be called Clover. As I grew older I was the differences became apparent.

What I have found strange though, is when I try to say a word in a foreign language, I do so with a German accent and not an English or Afrikaans one. I wonder why this is? Why would the accent automatically becomes German even though the other two languages feature equally strongly.

There is only one sound in Afrikaans which I struggle with and that is the rolled-r. German has a gutteral r and that takes over the Afrikaans r. But people usually think I am from Malmesbury where they use the gutteral r.

How did I assimilate three languages simultaneously, never mixing them up and not producing an accent?

Magnificent bastard Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-08-2014 @ 02:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, French, Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Ubermensch
    Ancestry
    Germany Austria France Croatia
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Mixed
    Politics
    Freedom.......
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post

I am sometimes a little disappointed that I do not have an accent in any of the languages I speak.

I speak three languages and have done so from birth. Therefore I speak three languages without an accent. I can think in all three, dream in all three, switch between them easily. I do not remember not being able to understand any of them either.

What I do remember though, is finding words that sound similar. For example the name Claire is pronounced similar to Klee (clover in German). I remember wondering why someone would be called Clover. As I grew older I was the differences became apparent.

What I have found strange though, is when I try to say a word in a foreign language, I do so with a German accent and not an English or Afrikaans one. I wonder why this is? Why would the accent automatically becomes German even though the other two languages feature equally strongly.

There is only one sound in Afrikaans which I struggle with and that is the rolled-r. German has a gutteral r and that takes over the Afrikaans r. But people usually think I am from Malmesbury where they use the gutteral r.

How did I assimilate three languages simultaneously, never mixing them up and not producing an accent?
    That is good.

For me it is different, over the phone when I speak:
    • English every one assumes that I am German or Deutch.
    • Serbo-Croatia every one asumes that I am their enemy. (So I given up on speaking it.)
    • Afrikaans every ones assumes that I am English.

Although when I was in England for a week I did manage to do a decent high class accent by the end of my stay.
    Fortune favors the bold.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
    Buddha

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post

All humans have an accent. I guess you mean that your accent is very close to the one regarded as the standard one in each of these languages.

From what you say, I'd infer that your most internalized language is German, even if your command of the other two is just as good.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Thread Information