Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

There were also some non-Germanic peoples living in south Norway just thousand years ago(Svåse or Svási the Finn king of Dovre was obviously not Germanic) and they mixed with the Norse(Svåse's daughter Snøfrid married Harald Fairhair and they had 5 children together)

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Svåse View Post
    There were also some non-Germanic peoples living in south Norway just thousand years ago(Svåse the Finn king of Dovre was obviously not Germanic) and they mixed with the Norse(Svåse's daughter Snøfrid married Harald Fairhair and they had 5 children togheter)
    Yes, the ancestors of the Sami and Finnic peoples extended much further south in Norway and Sweden in the past.
    I always thought that the Norwegians and Swedes would have absorbed a lot of them but the Germanic purity nuts at Skadi always argued otherwise. Some would have fled north, but I think most were absorbed myself.

Last Online
    09-16-2013 @ 09:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Southern Norway and Sweden was inhabited before the Sami arrived in Scandinavia.

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Yes, the ancestors of the Sami and Finnic peoples extended much further south in Norway and Sweden in the past.
    I always thought that the Norwegians and Swedes would have absorbed a lot of them but the Germanic purity nuts at Skadi always argued otherwise. Some would have fled north, but I think most were absorbed myself.
    Well most of the East Norwegian participants on the Eurogenes project score around 1-2% Siberian while Danes and most of the West Norwegians score little to no Siberian at all(modern Saami are usually 5-7% Siberian)

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rødskjegg View Post
    Southern Norway and Sweden was inhabited before the Sami arrived in Scandinavia.
    I thought the Sami were aboriginal to the North with latter input from the Finnics whilst the Germanics were native to the south (via their predecessors' cultures).

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I have a thread about the Saami presence in South Norway here: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42805

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well most of the East Norwegian participants on the Eurogenes project score around 1-2% Siberian while Danes and most of the West Norwegians score little to no Siberian at all(modern Saami are usually 5-7% Siberian)
    Isn't there any better way than looking for Siberian admixture? Have any skeletal remains been tested - do we know any results for the Sami in past centuries? Basically are the Sami diluted Siberians or has the Siberian admixture always occurred at around the same level?

Maybe I've got this wrong but I thought maternally they were aboriginal Euro, paternally Finnic?
    I don't think Siberian admixture is what we should be looking for though, I don't think they should be too different from their Germanic neighbours to be honest. The Germanics in Scandinavia descend from both the aboriginal inhabitants and Indo-European invaders - Sami seem to reflect the aboriginal inhabitants which didn't settle and start farming.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

They have tested the remains of three Swedish hunter & gatherers from Gotland and they were closer to Poles than they were modern Swedes:
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48166

The Siberian I find interesting because it seem to be lacking in the West Norwegians, but show up at 1-2% in East Norwegians, it have to come from somewhere right?
    Last edited by Pallantides; 05-30-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

They have tested the remains of two Swedish hunter & gatherers from Gotland and they were closer to Poles than they were modern Swedes:
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48166

The Siberian I find interesting because it seem to be lacking in the West Norwegians, but show up at 1-2% in East Norwegians, it have to come from somewhere right?
    Well that's Gotland. Islands are always a bit different from the mainland because it was easier to travel by water in the past. I also noticed this in the post:

So I think it's pretty clear we're dealing here with an individual of mostly deep East Mediterranean origin, who's ancestors made their way from West Asia to Europe via maritime routes (settling islands like Sardinia in the process), and then to Scandinavia via Western and Central Europe. They probably picked up their minority, although substantial, Northern European admixture in what is now Germany or Scandinavia. Of course, the other option is that the Mediterranean farmers went straight to Scandinavia by boat.
    I don't think these two individuals will have much to do with the Sami or former hunter-gatherers of mainland Scandinavia. I'd like to see results from Ertebølle remains, that'd be a good starting point.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

That's the Neolithic farmer, he is unrelated to the three Hunter & Gatherers.
    the three Neolithic hunter gatherers appeared largely outside the distribution of the modern sample, but in the vicinity of Finnish and northern European individuals (Fig. 1A). In contrast, the Neolithic farmer clustered with southern Europeans, but was differentiated from Levantine individuals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information