Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

1 Not allowed!

Wise is not the same as experienced. All old people are experienced. Those who have been able to extract profitable conclusions from those experiences and get philosophical responses of some value which are usually transmitted to and/or appreciated by others can be said to have reached a level of wisdom. Some do it late, some do it earlier, some never do.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Be careful what you wish for, Punk! Osprey's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-25-2013 @ 03:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Elvish
    Ethnicity
    Wood-Elf
    Ancestry
    East Anglia-Mother Saxony-Grandpa Tyrol-Grandma
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Politics
    None form the Available
    Religion
    My Own Set of Beliefs
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    I think wisdom is something you have gained with life experience.

Saw the quote a while ago: Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Wisdom is something you cannot learn out of a book. It is knowledge which is not theoretical. We can all read books, but it does not make us wise.

I think wisdom lies in growing and evolving, learning life's lessons, discarding the bad and keeping the good.

Old people are wise. Not because they've read a book, but because they have lived one.
    Quotations from a book?
    Very flashy sayings, but not something striking, atleast to me.
    Death smiles at us all, All a man can do, is Smile Back

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

1 Not allowed!

Wisdom is the opposite of stupidity or ignorance. Definition of wisdom is: the ability to see things exactly as they are. There are other definitions but the meaning of them all is pretty much the same. Now, what does that mean? Really, the apparent meaning is simple, but is that it? Different definition says: seeing reality the way it truly is. Meaning not it's apparent nature but its ultimate nature. I think that's enough to give us a headache. That's enough about the definition, what do y'all think?

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Wisdom, that's in teeth right? Everyone seems to have as much "wisdom" as they have teeth. Talk on it enough and the word may just lose its meaning, if it ever had one.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Arnau View Post
    Wise is not the same as experienced. All old people are experienced. Those who have been able to extract profitable conclusions from those experiences and get philosophical responses of some value which are usually transmitted to and/or appreciated by others can be said to have reached a level of wisdom. Some do it late, some do it earlier, some never do.
    Well said. Experience does not equal wisdom, that's for sure. In other words it's not what look at but how you look at it. Now, what is the right way to look?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Quotations from a book?
    Very flashy sayings, but not something striking, atleast to me.
    Dude, please don't turn it into ego fight. Her post is good, it's the way she sees it. There is nothing wrong with using quotes. Let's stay on topic please.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticwolf View Post
    Well said. Experience does not equal wisdom, that's for sure. In other words it's not what look at but how you look at it. Now, what is the right way to look?
    With eyes wide open.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

With eyes wide open.
    I agree with that! I'm asking ( even though I know the answer, as a Gnostic/Buddhist mix I've studied and practiced it quite a bit ) because it is the key to understanding reality. And it's always better to be Socratic about things and let the seeker to discover the way by asking questions that lead to insight. In other words one can explain things to others but one can not understand them for them. All one can do is point the way, the walking has to be done by the seeker

Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish-Scot 1/8th Italian
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Master Morality/Prussianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    I think wisdom is something you have gained with life experience.

Saw the quote a while ago: Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Wisdom is something you cannot learn out of a book. It is knowledge which is not theoretical. We can all read books, but it does not make us wise.

I think wisdom lies in growing and evolving, learning life's lessons, discarding the bad and keeping the good.

Old people are wise. Not because they've read a book, but because they have lived one.

I have to disagree with you here to a great extent, and this is such a superficial, misunderstood, and underdeveloped formation for what Wisdom is truly and authentically in its nature. I think although wisdom does derive itself from experience that it does not merely come from experience alone. I know many older people, who have operated in different environments and under different conditions to the point where you would be led to believe that the succession of time would allot them with a rich and vibrant perspective.

This could be further from the truth, and instead these people had a very stagnant and narrow vision of reality, which was fixed to the marginal boundaries of their own settings. I find this is the case with the most people, and I am deeply saddened for them due to this. I think the average person is restrained and restricted to deriving his knowledge merely on the basis of what we understand in a everyday sense.

The commonality of his knowledge will lose its theoretical uniqueness, and thus its fundamental substance, which is derived and sustained in the theoretical uniqueness of a perspective. I think that without theoretical knowledge to compliment the succession of time, our concrete applications in a real setting, and psychological/instinctual absorbing of our experience that we are merely left to a world without clear content.

Instead we are constantly in a world of confusing and contradiction where broader understandings can be separated and distinguished from more technical and specific understandings, which are so necessary to deriving and coming to synthesize and affirm the more metaphysical meanings in life. The problem is that the human person basically is determined to be determined by the operations of the brain subconsciously, and any great exertion of theoretical abstraction is not seen as a possibility, but merely a frivolous and trivial operation.

It is true that without experience, concrete application, and a logical basis operating on the modes of society and culture that theory is merely a void that expresses itself in an utterly useless and meaningless manner. I think that many confuse the actual and fixed of reality to be something which exists apriori in the mind, when it takes experience to affirm its potentiality or actuality in the mind.

That is we can not think and theorize about certain things until we experience it, and we can not experience it merely upon the grounds of thinking it without any grounds for such a "thought." Our concept of things is derived from experience, and it is upon our experience that we not only garner the material to make proper assumptions, but also we can induct and acknowledge certain things to be probably true without experiencing them.

That said what is the concept of a thing in reality if we can not understand all of its more technical details, which require some level of theoretical thought. Theoretical thought allows us to identify the attributes, predicates, and properties of the material and objects of our experience, and thus is the grounds upon which we are able to synthesize the broader framework of reason and thus attaining wisdom.

Wisdom does not merely come to us, but necessitates a combination of theory and practice, but inclining more towards a theoretical approach and depending more heavily on it. Practice merely reaffirms that which we intuitively conceived of something, and allows us to realize and validate in a concrete manner and form. If we can not apply something then of what use is our theory, and upon what grounds can it say it is viable and meaningless.

Also our theories of life improve and advance upon the distilling and advancements of the different practices and concrete applications we have made on the objects and materials of life through the mediation of self. I think with a greater deal of self-conscious and practical awareness within the confines of reality and society our theoretical understanding of the world becomes more possible, and this allows us to derive a broader, metaphysical, and wiser conclusion on the more technical and specific realities, encounters, and experiences in life.

Experience is one thing, but being aware and being aware of what we are aware of is just as important to producing wisdom in our individual person, and enhancing our perspective of life. Our wisdom hinges on the constant application and fluxing of our theoretical knowledge with our practical knowledge as it concerns concrete material and objects of the world of the senses.

All else is merely potentiality and sensibility, and ought not to be claimed as real unless naturally determined into existence through the dynamics and operations of reality or until we have verified and synthesized its existence through either affirmation by theory, practice, or a combination of both. The simplicity of life is so much more complex than it is for us, and sometimes we make it too complex for ourselves to come to realize this.

That said I don't think we should ignore, abandon, or become negligent that wisdom is more than just mere experience and the determination of the succession of time onto us as it pertains to our sense-intellect complex perception of the world around us.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,420
    Given: 12,533

0 Not allowed!

Wise is not the same as experienced..
    Sure it is. There's no substitute for experience.
    A yong kid can read all the books in the world he still would lack the wrinkles..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information