Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default The Cornish are Anglo-Saxons

Aberystwyth-born geneticist, Prof Steve Jones, concurs with the latest findings, saying the Welsh and the Irish are among the most homogeneous people in the world - though they remain markedly different from the English.

Prof Jones and colleagues at University College London, spent years creating a genetic map of the Y chromosome, which is passed by males from generation to generation.
    The results show the Welsh are related to the Basques of northern Spain and southern France and to native Americans. All are descended from the Kets people of western Siberia.

Prof Jones, author of Y - The Descent of Man, said the Y chromosomes showed a marked difference between males on the Welsh and English side of the border.
    "This shows that in the Dark Ages, when the Anglo-Saxons turned up, there was the most horrible massacre on the English side. They killed everybody and replaced them.
    "The Welsh Y chromosome is similar to that of the Basques. In the male line, at least, the Welsh and the Basques are survivors or relics of a period before huge numbers of farmers filled Europe from the Middle East.
    "There has been much less inter-breeding in Wales than you might expect. Wales and Ireland have the most homogenous group of males anywhere in the world."

The genetics show that the Welsh are not related to the Cornish, despite the similarity of their languages. "The Cornish are in effect Anglo-Saxons who for a time used a language that was hanging around."
    The genes of Scottish males also showed considerable inter-mixing with outsiders. Prof Jones said genetics provided more reliable clues to the distant past than language. He said the Y chromosome common among Welsh males was an ancient one.

In 2001, scientists at the University of London, led by Professor David Goldstein, discovered that Welsh and Irish Celts were the "genetic blood-brothers of Basques".
    Researchers concluded that the gene patterns of the three races passed down through the male line were all "strikingly similar".
    Basques can trace their roots back to the Stone Age and are one of Europe's most distinct people, fiercely proud of their ancestry and traditions.

The research added to previous studies which have suggested a possible link between the Celts and Basques, dating back tens of thousands of years.
    Source

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

This is quite logical, as the Basques inhabited most of Western Europe before the Indo-European invasion.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    This is quite logical, as the Basques inhabited most of Western Europe before the Indo-European invasion.
    I didn't post it for the theory of Basque inhabitation of Europe, as that has been covered to its death over the years () but mainly to the outright hookey theory concerning the Cornish, etc...

I'm sure Trefelin can fill us in on his thoughts of Professor Steve Jones.

Last Online
    02-28-2013 @ 11:53 PM
    Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Ethnicity
    Quebecois
    Country
    Quebec
    Region
    Quebec
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

The Welsh, the Basquue and the Amerindians are all descended from the Ket?!?!

All you have to do is ignore genetics, archaeology and linguistics and that makes perfect sense.

What a ginormous pile of crap!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wat Tyler View Post
    I didn't post it for the theory of Basque inhabitation of Europe, as that has been covered to its death over the years () but mainly to the outright hookey theory concerning the Cornish, etc...

I'm sure Trefelin can fill us in on his thoughts of Professor Steve Jones.
    I remember reading this a while back - he's a nutjob and I don't understand why he sees the Cornish people as solely Anglo-Saxon. There was a lot of migration from Cornwall to the industrial areas of the UK, esp Wales (hence my ancestry) but not everyone left. In addition to this, Cornwall has been greatly Anglicised but the Celtic population wasn't out-bred. In any case, more recent evidence suggests that England is approximately a Celtic/Anglo-Saxon split.

As for the Ket link, I've no idea how he comes up with this either, I mean they're Siberians for goodness sake - he's clearly delusional.

Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 10:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Estonian
    Country
    Estonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

I guess the relation between Celts and Ket people goes as far as Y-chromosome haplogroup R and haplogroup Q having common origin from haplogroup P.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,943
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Prof Jones, author of Y - The Descent of Man, said the Y chromosomes showed a marked difference between males on the Welsh and English side of the border.
    "This shows that in the Dark Ages, when the Anglo-Saxons turned up, there was the most horrible massacre on the English side. They killed everybody and replaced them.
    Is this the final nail in the coffin for the anti-English "intellectuals", who for decades belittled the Germanic genetic contribution to the British Isles?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-04-2013 @ 08:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    Australian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

0 Not allowed!

I would be very interested in finding out about distributions of mtDNA in the British Isles. Concentrating only on Y chromosomal DNA only tells part of the story. In fact, finding out about autosomal DNA and X chromosome DNA would be interesting too.

Does anyone have any info. regarding maternal inheritance and migration patterns in the Isles? Are they consistent with Y-DNA patterns?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-25-2010 @ 06:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Maybe it might be usable for you..

European mtDNA haplogroups frequency

Banned
    Last Online
    12-12-2009 @ 03:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Briton
    Ethnicity
    British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Staffordshire
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

At the end of the day we are British.

I'm sick of these foreigners telling us what we are.

Let me tell you, I spit on Sweden and Estonia.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about your countries or who the fuck you are.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information