Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wat Tyler View Post
    Gypsy

• itinerant: a labourer who moves from place to place as demanded by employment; "itinerant traders"
    • a member of a people with dark skin and hair who speak Romany and who traditionally live by seasonal work and fortune telling; they are believed to have originated in northern India but now are living on all continents (but mostly in Europe, North Africa, and North America)

The first definition is what we in Britain would call a Gypsy; a Tinker; a Pikey; a Traveller.

The second definition would come under Romanian Gypsy, or Roma Gypsy, and would have a considerably different look to that of a native Gypsy.
    Ah, I only knew the one definition of gypsy. I had figured that the media was trying to portray Roma heritage in the man, which would be going a bit far on the part of the media.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

I believe Charlie Chaplin was part Roma, who are considered an Indo-Aryan subrace, so even if Griffin's ancestry did include gypsies- what's the big deal? This suggestive article is like suggesting David Duke is a hexadecaroon (1/16 black) or had a Jewish grandfather. Pure bunk. The article also seems to imply that Griffin has a bone to pick with all gypsies rather than with the "anti-social and criminal" elements of the Roma community that prey on the citizens of the UK (much as they prey on the citizens in other European nations). God forbid if Griffin points out the tendencies of gypsies to produce criminals- by pointing out the tendencies of gypsies to produce criminals.
    Last edited by Cato; 06-22-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-03-2020 @ 06:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Tronder, KN, NW
    Politics
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 44

0 Not allowed!

And the members of the BNP who happen to be bankers are Jews. Why are the people over at the Daily Express journalists? they should be at the University working as logicians.
    Last edited by Útrám; 06-22-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: gammar
    Due to my heterosexual toxicity, I only do female classifications upon request.

COGITO - FACIO - FIO Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-19-2012 @ 06:21 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamedes View Post
    Roma, who are considered an Indo-Aryan subrace, so even if Griffin's ancestry did include gypsies- what's the big deal?
    Likewise with Pakistanis and Indians. I'm glad we've solved that problem. I was beginning to worry about England's future.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Seuthanan View Post
    Likewise with Pakistanis and Indians. I'm glad we've solved that problem. I was beginning to worry about England's future.
    I don't think that the UK is being overrun with Roma, however.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

The Green Arrow have an update about Nick Griffin's Grandfather.

Here's the truth. The Express said "Habitually lied about his age".

No. Many people genuinely, at that time, didn't always know when they were born, and some census enumerator's grasp of maths was basic, to say the least.

In 1871, George was a travelling salesman, but he did have a business partner. Possibly his sister.

In 1881, he was no longer travelling, and is listed as a dealer. His business supported his family of eight, plus a servant, Kate Goss!

In 1891, his earnings are now supporting a family of eleven, plus a servant (same one as ten years earlier) and an apprentice! He's now listed as a merchant - a step up from a dealer.

By 1901, most of George's children have flown the nest he permanently lived through three censuses, he still has the servant, Kate Goss, Esther has had another child, and one of their adult children, William, is a printer compositor - a good trade to be in.

A possible death date for George is 1912, but as it's a common name, I can't be sure. It certainly seems likely, as the George that died in Devon in 1912 was aged 72, putting the birth year as 1840.

So, he stayed married to one wife, never took money from the parish poor relief, for most of his life he lived in one place in Boutport Street in Barnstaple, Devon and was rich enough to support himself, his wife, ten children, a servant and at least one apprentice.

Not really gypsy material, then!

Banned
    Last Online
    05-24-2012 @ 02:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castillian
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

"His lifestyle would not have fitted with the intolerant views of Mr Griffin and the British National Party which does not accept black people as members."

I'm not sure I follow their logic here. The man roamed from town to town in a caravan selling pottery and occasional lying about his age on the odd census form, and therefore he was a gypsy who was black?

I see.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

LOL! You get that a lot with articles concerning the BNP. You may be reading a piece which actually comes across in a good light for the BNP, but yet the closing sentence will be completely out of the blue and not in context.

"...and the local community have stood firm in the face of adversity, with the BNP as their only vehicle for getting their concerns and opinions to where it matters.

The BNP leader Nick Griffin once denied the holocaust."

WTF?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information