@
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Messiah Richard Dawkins launches children's summer camp for atheists

The author of controversial book The God Delusion is helping to launch Britain's first summer retreat for non-believers.

Richard Dawkins is subsidising the camp which will offer children aged eight to 17 the chance to sing along to John Lennon's Imagine and have lessons in evolution.

The five-day camp, based in Somerset, promises to be 'beyond belief' - the event's motto - and will rival traditional faith-based breaks run by the Scouts and church groups.
    As well as traditional camp pursuits such as trekking and tug-of-war attendees will be given lessons in moral philosophy and evolutionary biology as well as debating otherworldly activities such as crop circles and telepathy.

There will even be a Ł10 prize for the child who can disprove the existence of the mythical unicorn.
    And instead of finishing up the day with a toasted marshmallow and round of Kim-bi-ya budding atheists will belt out 'Imagine there's no heaven...and no religion too.'

Dawkins said the camp was designed to 'encourage children to think for themselves sceptically and rationally.'

The event has been held in America for 13 years and was set up in the UK by Samantha Stein, a postgraduate psychology student from London.The 23-year-old said the 24 places available were now taken and she hoped to expand next year after receiving hundreds more inquiries. She said the camp, to be held from July 27 to July 31, was not intended to convert children but to introduce them to a different way of thinking.

It is not about changing what they think, but the way that they think.

'There is very little that attacks religion, we are not a rival to religious camps.

'We exist as a secular alternative open to children from parents of all faiths and none.'
    The theme of the camp is evolution, to coincide with the Darwin 200th anniversary celebrations this year.

The programme includes canoeing, drama, nature walks, singing and swimming.
    There will also be philosophical and scientific discussion for children who will be taught about evolution and that ethical behaviour is not dependent on religious belief and doctrines.

Christian organisations which run summer camps include the Church Pastoral Aid Society, an evangelical group which operates 100 holiday schemes 'giving young people a chance to meet Jesus Christ'.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

And instead of finishing up the day with a toasted marshmallow and round of Kim-bi-ya budding atheists will belt out 'Imagine there's no heaven...and no religion too.'
    ...finished off with the 20 pro's of race-mixing with Orientals and how to successfully proclaim to be the messiah for the working classes whilst living in the luxury and opulence of the upper class.

She said the camp, to be held from July 27 to July 31, was not intended to convert children but to introduce them to a different way of thinking.
    Isn't that just the same as saying: "We want to convert you, but are too shy and scared to to say so , because we'd be compared with the religions we so virulently hate and despise, yet seem to emulate more and more every day"

The world is going mad

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-08-2012 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

This is an excellent concept and program. I plan on sending my children to Camp Inquiry (Holland, New York) when they are old enough. From their mission statement: "We work toward helping youth confront the challenges of living a non-theistic/secular lifestyle in a world dominated by religious belief and pseudoscience."

The camp is sponsored by the Center for Inquiry which is a great secular organization.

By the way, the book, "The God Delusion", was controversial to no one except religious people...

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-03-2020 @ 06:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    Taxonomy
    Tronder, KN, NW
    Politics
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 44

0 Not allowed!

When you're on a roll you don't stop with a bestseller book, you must have the camp too.
    Due to my heterosexual toxicity, I only do female classifications upon request.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
    I plan on sending my children to Camp Inquiry (Holland, New York) when they are old enough.
    Will you be sending them off with their consent?

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

And then Dawkins and his ilk dare proudly proclaim their version of atheism can by no means be regarded as religion. But this and similar cases clearly prove it can.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamvas View Post
    And then Dawkins and his ilk dare proudly proclaim their version of atheism can by no means be regarded as religion. But this and similar cases clearly prove it can.
    And who is their, and my, God?

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Death
    Ethnicity
    Death
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

A religion in essence does not realy require a God. In this we see Dawkins starting to make a ritualised form of Atheism. Al these things like summercamps with songs promising a world without religion, atheistday's, heck maybe these new atheists will be celebrating Dawkins day in the future, to celebrate the live of their great hero.

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Religion is not necessarily and exclusively about supernatural beings, god(s), angels etc, but can also consist of dedicated and unquestioned (without critical spirit) devotion towards some higher order, dogmas, set of beliefs, of premises, which are considered to transcend oneself, to be "objective" (some political movements/systems have also a quasi-religious character)

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys, now I understand much better. I was ignorant, sorry.

I now I know Atheism is a religion and I am religious, I subscribe to ritualized Atheism, my messiah is Richard Dawkins, I will celebrate Richard Dawkins Day sometime in the future, I will call Richard Dawkins "my great hero", I have a dedicated and unquestioned allegience to Atheism and I am a new Atheist.

Thanks, I was once lost but now I am found...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information