"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

One thing I like about the P30 is that the rear sight doesn't stick up as high as the P99, the profile makes it shorter, and it doesn't have the boxy look to it that the Walther has. It's alot smoother and elegant looking and I just love the look of it. I don't have much of an issue with the 9mm para and I like to squeeze off a clip fairly rapidly down range without having the added kick (like my revolver, ow!) and the lower capacity clips of some of the heavier rounds, and I am also looking at this from a Police Officer's prospective, since I will not be restricted by any laws concerning the amount of bullets I can carry once I graduate. Then I will finally be able to use full clips outside our range when we aren't in class, and I want a pistol that is going to be there with me throughout my future career.

I factored in the Glock as well, which is not popular at all here with Officers. I haven't really understood that because a glock is a really great gun to have and requires alot less maintenance, and the frame is built from materials that are great when you're looking into longevity. But I have a theory that it's a little too 'girly' looking and it has more of a small power-tool feel to it. I don't like the grip to it at all either, but I would like to own one eventually in the future just to finally say that 'yeah I have a glock', but it's not something I am really looking for right now.

The 1911's are a gun that noone carries here. They're an old school gun that was popular in the 80's, along with revolvers, but eventually just died out. I have only fired a 1911 once on the range way back in the day when I got my liscense, and I just didn't have a connection to it. For me when I pick up a handgun, it's like it has it's own animus and it's like a chemistry I have to have in order to go ahead and make a decision to own one, and I just never had that with 1911s..

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Cx4 Storm shoots only pistol caliber so why not just get a pistol?.

Well, with the CX4, I like the fact that you can mount accessories up the wazoo on this gun, which I absolutely love to do, and which I appreciated on guns I've had like the AR. Also, it's frame is built to make it so the positioning of the hands allows for a more steadier shooting experience with better, smoother, and I dare say faster(?) target aquisition. I've only competed twice in Toronto shooting competitions which, as you can imagine, draws alot of tough and experienced competators, and I find that when that sort of pressure is put on me to make good accurate shots, my adrenaline goes up and I tend to get really excited, and when my blood gets pumping, I tend to shake a bit which throws my aim off a wee bit with pistols, which might be an issue though should I ever be required to pull my weapon under a stressful situation. I never had that problem at all with the CX4 in terms of pistol calibres.
    Last edited by Sol Invictus; 07-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Shotguns are my favorite weapon of choice, I've owned many of them over the years, way back when i was a CPSA shooter we shot 1oz 7/8th cartridges, my favorite cartridge was Bianchi no8s, it was easy on the shoulder always consistant, and when you cleaned the barrels out later you would hardly get any residue.
    Sporting, and English skeet were my favorite disciplines.
    My alltime favorite shotgun is a Winchester super grade skeet, i remember paying £369 for it in 1979.

This is a 101 supergrade it's of the same quality as my old one.
    I've decided on a 12-gauge, probably something like an H&R 1871 Pardner Pump (http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp, all the way at the bottom). I want something that's affordable, easy to use and has a good magazine capacity- mainly I want it for protection. My brother suggested a pistol but I've got no reason to take my (shot)gun out of the house, so I don't really want the hassle of a sidearm just yet.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamedes View Post
    I want something that's affordable, easy to use and has a good magazine capacity- mainly I want it for protection.
    Mossberg 500.

I just ordered two side saddles and a heat shield for mine. 8 shots in the the gun and 10 as back up.

Looks like this without side saddles. (Not my picture)

Used Mossberg goes for ~300-350 for basic model.
    Last edited by Ulf; 07-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.

O frabjous day! callooh callay!! Heimmacht's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-11-2022 @ 12:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    The Netherlands , Austria, Hungary, Czech republic, Russia.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordid
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 12

0 Not allowed!

The Glock 17, or newer the Glock 19. Works al the time.
    It almost never breaks down. And because most of the gun is of plastic, its quite light to. The handling is next to perfect. Nicely balanced, and easy to keep clean.

Most European armies use the Glock as side-arm.

It's a 9mm weapon, NATO standard full-metal, semi hollow points, and hollow points can all be used.
    It has a high V0 (mussle velocity) and is accurate up to 35metres (about 38 Yards)

Because it's light, it can be shot in Weaver-standing or single handed.

Banned
    Last Online
    07-25-2020 @ 05:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    UK/Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Celto-Germanic
    Religion
    Chaos-Gnosticism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

Walther PPK all the way!

My favorite pistol, and the one I use at the range the most.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-16-2012 @ 06:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Ancestry
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Taxonomy
    Croatian
    Politics
    Croatia
    Religion
    Croatian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Have you thought of HS2000 or Springfield XD (as they sell it in the US)? I read many reviews and everybody who used it say it's a best buy. Never shot out of it myself though...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Heya Veritas;

My favorite house and carry gun is my Colt .45 ACP M-1911, made in March, 1919, the fellow I got it from carried it in WW II, Korea and Viet Nam. Had a gunsmith check her out for her 80th anniversary, said she was still within factory spec. I also have a Marlin Camp 45 carbine, which uses the same magazines (and a younger M-1911 A-1 from Springfield Armory).

Second favorite is my European American Arms Regulator revolver in .45 Colt.

In a real pinch, I have .44 cap and ball revolver based on the Remington design. If you go this route, get a stell framed reproduction. The brass is prettier, but will shoot loose with heavier loads. You can use Pyrodex pellets and conical bullets for more modern performance.

I like large caliber, low velocity handgun rounds, which are proven at practical distances. I also have all of our defensive handguns loaded with hollowpoints designed for maximum expansion at the velocities and distances we might be shooting.

We have his and hers gun safes.

Otherwise, a pump 12 gauge, mine is a Mossberg 500, 18" barrel, full length magazine with side-saddle, high intensity flashlight. I especially like shotguns, because a good defensive load for protecting the home can be tailored for effectiveness at the short range, plus it will not over penetrate and possibly bring harm to your neighbors.

For the smaller framed individual, some compromise may be needed. A 20 gauge can be effective at house distances. My wife like her 20" Mossberg.

If the preference is for a 9 mm, the Taurus PT 99 has served our needs well for nearly 25 years, and is comfortable for my wife to shoot.

I've found S&W's a bit too big for my hand, have a Model 59, plus a Marlin Camp 9, which uses the same magazines.

You might also check into a surplus CZ 52, single stack 9 mm, for the smaller hand. It is an older single action design, but the safety, I've found, is also a decocker. Very reliable, ours were rebarreled from the original 7.62 x 25 cartridge.

For practice, nothing beats a .22 LR, either pistol (Ruger Mk II stainless) or rifle (too many to list ,-) BUT, you must practice with the ammunition you will be using for defensive purposes. I try anf get to the range at least once a quarter, rotating, which forearms I bring.

HOWEVER you choose, learn the firearm, not just the legalities and marksmanship, but get tutoring in basic field maintenance, too. It will be no good, save as a club, if not properly cleaned and lubricated.

You will also have to think long and hard about the potential that it is a tool with which you can kill.

I've made my decision. But lately, if I feel the need to be armed because of an unusual stirring in the house, I take along a 2 million candle power spotlight, one of those rechargeable ones you can get at the boating supply or sporting goods store. I still walk very quiet for a man with bad knees and a spare tire. I key in on the noise, close my eyes, touch off the spotlight and then use my red lens flashlight to investigate. The one time it was something (last year), the kid had fallen to the ground "...blinded by the LIGHT!"

My wife and I have a simple signal if it is something, I yell "Niner!" She calls the cops. If it's all clear, I call "Calm!" She browbeats me for getting her up in the middle of the night ,-)

Pip - veteran, hunting/firearms safety instructor, gun mechanic and so forth...
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,728
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

In case law and order break down or weapons get legalized I would go for the Walther P5

It's a bitch with little power but it is the standard weapon of the police and I would make sure that I would get my hands on those here:

Standard weapon of the Dutch Army. Glock 17. Why those? When hell breaks loose they might be the easiest to get my hands on.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands