"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-13-2021 @ 01:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American of German descent
    Ancestry
    L. Saxony, Westphalia, Hesse, Baden-Wurtemberg, Bavaria, Saxony, Switerzerland, Bohemia, Galizien
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 311

1 Not allowed!

Default The Physical Anthropology of Frederick Gymer Parsons

IN MEMORIAM

FREDERICK GYMER PARSONS, D.Sc., F.R.C.S., F.S.A., Professor of Anatomy, University of London. 1863-1943

The death of Professor F. G. Parsons at the age of 80 marks the passing of one of the oldest representatives of British Anatomy. To many anatomists in
    the country it also marks the loss of a personal friend whose charm of manner was one of his most outstanding qualities. In the field of anatomy he
    was noted not only for many solid contributions to anatomical science but also for a great deal of laborious but unobtrusive work on behalf of the
    Anatomical Society and anatomical teaching. He had been a member of the Society since 1889, that is to say, two years after its foundation. Indeed, at
    the time of his death he was the oldest member of the Society with a membership record of 54 years. He also acted as its secretary from 1895 to 1898, its treasurer from 1903 to 1908, and its president from
    1912 to 1914.

Parson's academic life was spent entirely at St. Thomas's Hospital Medical School where he started his career as lecturer in biology, and he was lecturer
    and Professor of Anatomy there from 1886 to 1929. His, earliest scientific work was in the field of comparative anatomy, and he first achieved distinction by his studies on comparative myology. Numerous papers on this subject dealing with the muscular anatomy of Carnivora, rodents, edentates, ungulates, etc. were published (partly in collaboration with B. C. A. Windle) in the Proceedings of the Zoological Society. Other important contributions
    on skeletal and joint morphology appeared during the same period in the Journal of Anatomy. The general conclusions which arose from these comparative studies were summarized in a series of outstanding
    Hunterian Lectures published in 1897 and 1899.

In his attitude towards this field of work, Parsons was a pure morphologist, for while he often sought to explain variations in homologous muscles in different mammals on the basis of functional requirements, the evolutionary implications attracted him most. He was, however, no wild theorist. Methodical and careful in his tedious work of manual dissection, he was also methodical and careful in his interpretation of the observations which he made. As a consequence, his work at this phase of his career is the
    more enduring, for his papers contain a vast amount of accurate and systematically recorded data which will always be available to comparative anatomists. In the field of human anatomy Parsons was also a meticulous observer. He published a number of short papers dealing with the topography of soft tissues, among which may especially be mentioned his studies of the caecum, the parotid gland and the cervical fascia. The last named, which was illustrated by careful dissections, demonstrated the absurdities of some of the descriptions of fascial planes in current text-books and played no small part in leading to a much-needed revision.

In 1909 Parsons published a study of the topography and morphology of the human hyoid bone, an element of the human skeleton which hitherto had been curiously neglected in purely descriptive anatomy; thereafter, most of his anatomical papers were concerned with the skeleton. Of special note are his monographs on the characters of the English thigh bone and the proportions and characteristics of the English clavicle. These studies led Parsons from pure topographical anatomy to physical anthropology, and particularly craniology. He had devised a method for constructing average contours of the skull from different points of view, which provided an excellent means for visualizing the appearance of the average of a series of crania, and he used this technique in the systematic study of collections of skulls from Hythe and Rothwell. It has always seemed to me surprising that this method has not been more widely adopted, though a similar (but less effective) procedure was later advocated by Bennington and Pearson in Biometrika.

Later, Parsons made a systematic study of the skeletal remains of the early Anglo-Saxon population of England, and these records are particularly important as a basis of reference fot future workers. In 1928 he published an atlas showing the contours of sixty-six Anglo-Saxon skulls which he had collected from various parts of the country. During the last war, Parsons seized the opportunity offered by prisoners of war to ascertain some objective facts about the racial constitution of the population of Germany, and he was able to show that, except in the coastal districts and along the valley of the Rhine, the so-called 'Nordic' element is very slight indeed.

Parsons's main interest in the physical anthropology of past populations of this country lay in its bearing on the constitution of the present population.
    In 1921 he published an important paper on the Long Barrow race and its relationship to the modern inhabitants of London, and he later developed
    his ideas in an unusually interesting book on The Earlier Inhabitants of London. In 1927 he was elected President of the Anthropology section of the British Association which met at Leeds, and his presidential address was entitled 'The Englishman of the Future'. In this address he drew attention
    to certain changes in the physical proportions of the English population which seemed to him to be taking place. Among other things he concluded that the shape of the skull shows progressive changes particularly in the direction of an increase of the proportional height, and he adduced evidence to show that these changes must be regarded as part of a definite evolutionary process.

From a pure physical anthropologist Parsons in later years became more and more of an antiquarian. His life-long association with St Thomas's Hospital
    led him to, make a special study of its history, and the results of his historical researches were published in an outstanding work of three volumes,
    which were completed in 1936. After his retirement he continued his antiquarian interests and published several short papers of archaeological interest in local journals.

To the teaching of anatomy he made many contributions. Among these may be specially mentioned his publication (in collaboration with William Wright) of a practical dissecting manual in 1912. The purpose of this book was to relieve the ordinary student of a great deal of cumbersome and unnecessary
    topographical detail and to focus his attention on the really important features of human anatomy. This book was regularly used in certain
    medical schools, but the time was not then ripe for it to displace the more elaborate manuals which it was commonly regarded as necessary that the
    student should wade through. The work which Parsons did for the Anatomical Committee of London in his position as Secretary over a period of many years will be remembered with gratitude by his colleagues, for during this time he did very excellent service for the maintenance of the supply of dissecting material.

In this short account I have endeavoured to give a general survey of the fine record of solid scientific work which Parsons has left behind him. A proportion only of his published works have been mentioned, and a reference to past numbers of the Proceedings of the Zoological Society, the Journal of
    Anatomy and the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute will show how productive he was in the fields of anatomy and physical anthropology.
    I should like now to give a more personal impression of this distinguished man. Parsons was essentially a craftsman. He loved working with his hands, and he was marvelously skilful with his scalpel and forceps. Many of his dissections will permanently adorn the museum of his own medical school, and
    some had the honour of being accepted to take their place among the exhibits in the Hunterian Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons. One of his hobbies was wood-carving. His own house was decorated with exquisite carvings of his own creation and he also applied his talent to his anatomical work in the construction of teaching models and in preparing models to show the average proportions of those elements of the English human skeleton which he studied. With his manipulative skill he always seemed to be far more interested in the actual preparati" on of material for his studies than in any
    scientific result which accrued from them. Indeed, he started each piece of work with no fixed preconceived ideas and was perfectly content to allow
    his data to speak for themselves. Thus he avoided one of the pitfalls likely to beset the comparative anatomist whose main object is to elucidate evolutionary processes, for he was careful to avoid phylogenetic
    speculations of wide implications. In the field of anthropology, also, Parsons seldom figured in the controversies which were apt to be rather common in his time, for his attitude to theoretical hypotheses was careful to the extent of being often rather colourless. I remember an occasion on which (with the late Professor Seligman) he was reading a paper on the palaeolithic skull from Cheddar before the Royal Anthropological Institute. In rising to reply to some criticism regarding the probable antiquity of the remains, Parsons made the remark 'I assure members of the Institute that my regard for this skull is purely platonic.' At a time when the echoes of the somewhat acrimonious controversy on the Piltdown skull had not yet died afway, this remark naturally evoked a good deal of amusement. Yet it illustrated very well the attitude of detachment and objectivity which marked all his scientific work.

At one time he came in for a certain amount of criticism from the biometrical school on the ground that the mathematical treatment of his metrical
    observations was inadequate. However, he quite frankly disclaimed any particular aptitude as a biometrician and pointed out that the published
    data of his measurements were available to anyone who might wish to analyse them by the technique of the biometrical school. He was also somewhat scathing (and not altogether unjustly) of the type of mathematician who, without any biological training or insight, was wont to treat skeletal elements as so many geometrical figures without any
    reference to the functional factors which might play a part in determining their proportions.

At St Thomas's Hospital Medical School, Parsons was for many years the central figure, and many of the activities of the School were developed on his
    initiative and with his support. As friend and adviser his opinion was always being sought by his colleagues and pupils on all manner of problems, whether concerning administrative policy or purely personal affairs. He had an extraordinarily balanced outlook on life and he was gifted with an
    unusually acute sense of humour. These characteristics enabled him to put many difficult situations in their proper perspective, both for himself
    and for others who sought his advice. His life was not without personal tragedy. The sudden death of. his wife from an accident in 1915 was a grievous loss to him, and his friends knew well enough how deeply it affected him. Yet his philosophy of life endowed him with a resilience which enabled him to surmount the disaster and to carry on with his life's work with an amazing fortitude.

When he finally retired from St Thomas's Hospital, Parsons settled down in Princes Risborough. He had a house built in a beautiful situation on the slopes of the Chilterns. It was always a delight to visit him there and to stroll with
    him through the beautiful beech-woods of the Chilterns, for he always seemed happy and contented and his conversation was full of amusing reminiscences. He spent a great deal of time in his garden, and from time to time he continued actively to maintain his antiquarian interests by local archaeological studies. Indeed, with his garden, his country walks and his interest in local archaeology he seemed to revel in his retirement. Unfortunately, military exigencies compelled him to leave the home he had made, and soon after the beginning of the war he went to live in Thame. But,
    as always, he accepted the situation philosophically and found happiness in his new surroundings without any regrets. He lived there with his son and
    daughter-in-law.

With the final opportunity available to me before I was compelled under the restrictions of war to lay up my car, I paid a visit to Parsons at Thame in the
    summer of 1942. I am glad I did so, for this was the last time I saw my old teacher and friend. My outstanding memories of this visit are first that his
    vigour seemed unabated and his contentment with life as great as ever, and secondly, the great joy which he derived from the companionship of his
    little grandson.

W. E. LE G. C.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NWJmNTI4&hl=en

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    L. Saxony, Westphalia, Hesse, Baden-Wurtemberg, Bavaria, Saxony, Switerzerland, Bohemia, Galizien
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default On Some Saxon Bones from Folkestone (1911)

On Some Saxon Bones from Folkestone

WE know very little of the stature and physique of our Saxon forefathers. It is true that a fair number of their skulls are in different museums, but of the rest of their skeletons hardly anything seems to be known. Apparently the subject is of little interest since, during the last century and a half, over 1,300 graves of Saxons have been opened in Kent alone and many hundreds of others elsewhere in England, and yet I know of only one complete skeleton of a Saxon available for study, and that is not in any of our great anthropological museums or universities, but in the comiparatively small and little known museum of Folkestone.

There is an impression, founded on the writings of ancient historians, that the Saxons were very big and strong men, but impressions of this kind are not always trustworthy and, as in the time to come people may be more interested in the evolution of our race than they are at present, it seems advisable to record what I can of the bones found in the latest Saxon burial ground investigated.

CONCLUSIONS.
    The present contribution is a small and imperfect one, but, apart from the skulls and a few thigh bones, it is, I believe, all the actual knowledge we have of the stature and physique of any of the Saxon peoples.
    It is on this account very necessary not to overrate its importance, but to bear in mind that what seems true for these Folkestone people need not be true for Saxons in other parts of England.

The following conclusions seem to me legitimate:--

1. That this burial-ground was used in pre-Christian times by those Saxons who lived near the southern part of the Kentish coast during the sixth century. There is some evidence that another exists at Hythe, five mniles to the south (of course quite distinct from the bones in the church there), while those t,o the north lie on the downs between Canterbury and Dover. I should think it probable that this cemetery served some thirty square miles of country.

2. The burials are of the " grave row " type, such as those recorded from the neighbourhood of Bremen.

3. The arms, ornaments and orientation of the bodies, and especially the characteristic earthen flask, show that these people had the same burial customs as those found in the other Kentish burial-grounds and were therefore, presumably, Jutes.

4. The female skulls and bones showed no points of difference from those of the males except in the normal sexual signs. This seems to me an important point to notice when larger series come under observation, because how far the Saxons intermarried with the conquered British is a debatable and hitherto quite unsettled point.

5. I cannot at present say whether these Jutes or Kentish Saxons have any craniological characteristics distinguishing them from Saxons found elsewhere in England, but I am gradually accumulating evidence on this.

6. These people had long, fairly high and narrow heads, their foreheads were well shaped, not receding, and probably rendered more effective-looking by the marked frontal eminence in both sexes and the rareness of prominent supraciliary eminences in the males. Their jaws were strona and wide at the angles with sound, strong, deeply-ground down teeth. Their noses were rather broad, though I can learn little of their shape from this particular collection.

7. They were a lithe, singularly well built though somewhat slender race, often showing traces of the platymeria and platycnemia, characteristic of agility; of medium height (about 5 feet 6 inches for the men and 5 feet 4 inches for thle women), wlhile the women approached the men in stature and physique more closely than is the case in inodern skeletons.

8. With the exception of one case of osteo-arthritis in the head of a femur no traces of disease were noticed in the bones.

The full text with all diagrams and photos may be found here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...MGZkYmIy&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default On Some Bronze Age and Jutish Bones from Broadstairs (1913)

ON SOME BRONZE AGE AND JUTISH BONES FROM BROADSTAIRS

THE following paper is meant, in the first place, to describe the details of some bones found at Valetta House, Broadstairs, in 1911, but, as some of these are undoubtedly of bronze age people, I have measured as many other bronze age skulls as I could, for comparison. Since the Broadstairs bones are now placed in the museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, this paper is, in part, a description of the bronze age bones therein at the present time.

Among the bronze age burials at Broadstairs were those of several Saxons, accompanied by many arms, coins, and ornaments.

These skeletons, coming from the Isle of Thanet, I have ventured to call Jutish, and I have been able to compare them with those of another Jutish burial ground near Folkestone, an account of which I published in this Journal, vol. XLI, 1911, p. 101.

CONCLUSIONS.

A. Bronze Age People.

These people have high, short, and broad skulls, with rugged features and prominent supra-orbital margins. Their eye sockets are shallow from above down- wards, and their faces are long. Their palates are particularly well formed, and their teeth large.

The cubic capacity of the male skulls is about 1500 c.c., rather below that of modern Europeans.

The stature of these people does not seem to be as tall as is generally believed. The material I have been able to gather points to 5 feet 7 inches as the average for the males, but I have too few records to suggest aniy definite average for the females.

The men were strongly buiilt, but not particularly broad-shouldered; the three of whose clavicles I have records averaged during life about 15 inches across the shoulders, perhaps a little more, if, as I have reason to believe, their deltoid muscles were very well developed.

The evidence at my disposal makes me think that an abnormal lengtll of forearm was one of the characteristics of this race, at least this was the case in three skeletons out of four, including the one at Sunderland (see Appendix).

Many of the femora were platynieric and the tibia platycnemic, and a squatting facet was present at the lower end of the tibia in every bone perfect enough to show it. These chanaes I am not at present inclined to regard as of any racial signifi- cance, but merely as an indication that chairs and tables were not in general use.

The femora of two skeletons showed an extraordinary amount of twisting of the shaft.

B. The Jutes.

The examination of these remains confirms the report which I presented to this Institute on Jutish skeletons from Folkestone (Journ. Boy. Anthrop. Inst., vol. xli, 1911, p. 1 01).

The skulls were narrow and long, but certainly not low, and they contrasted markedly with those of the bronze age in havingt high orbital apertures.

The average height of the men was 5 feet 61 inches, and of the women 5 feet Skches [sic]. This small difference between the heights and also, apparently, the physiques the two sexes is the most noticeable thing I have found in the examination of utish skeletolns, aiid reminds us of what we believe to be the conditions at present xisting among the younger members of our own upper classes.

The graceful, clean appearance of the long bones, already noticed in the Folke- stone reinains, was just as marked in these, and was largely due to the straightness of the bones, and to the comparatively small size of the bony ends.

Platymeria and platycnemia were quite commoin, as at Folkestone, and squatting facets were found on every available tibia. This last point, unfortunately, was not looked for at Folkestone.

Both the bronze age people and the Jutes seem to have been very subject to rheumatoid or osteo-arthritic changes in the bones as life advanced.
    The full text with all diagrams may be found here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NmUwMjk5&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default The Cheddar Man (1914)

The full text with all diagrams and photos may be found here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ODczNTVl&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default Sexual Differences in the Skull (1919)

Sexual Differences in the Skull

MORE than a year ago one of us worked out the average contours of 80 male and 30 female, eighteenth century, skulls from the Clare Market district, though there was then no time to work out or call attention to the sexual points of difference between them.

As a matter of fact there was no way of being sure how far they were rightly sexed because few anatomists have the chance of testing their capabilities in this way on a series of skulls of known sex.

Still we propose to take the two series of tracings as a starting point and to see hether any of the differences between them are repeated in other series.

CONCLUSIONS

From the material at present at our disposal we have come to the following conclusions about the English skull.

1. That the female skull is shorter in proportion to its breadth than is the male by 2 per cent. and that this difference is not fully accounted for by the greater development of the frontal sinuses in the male.

2. That in those series of artificially sexed skulls in which this proportion is markedly departed from the sexing has probably been unsuccessful.

3. That the facial index does not differ in the two sexes.

4. That the female skull is lower in proportion to its width than the male, by from one to two per cent. when the auricular height is taken.

5. That the female skull is some 8 mm. narrower in the width of the palate than the male.

6. That the zygomatic arches are wider in proportion to the maximal breadth of the skull by 4 per cent. in the male than in the female.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...YjY0MzBj&hl=en
    Last edited by mvbeleg; 04-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default Anthropological Observations of German Prisoners of War (1919)

Anthropological Observations of German Prisoners of War

EARLY in 1918, through the help of Colonel Marett Tims, I received permission from the War Office to make observations on the wounded prisoners of war in the Belmont Hospital near Sutton, in Surrey, and in the war hospital at Dartford, in Kent. Every help was given me by the Commandants of these hospitals as well as by their medical staffs, and I am very grateful for the kindness and courtesy they showed me.

Later on I was allowed to measure a number of British wounded soldiers in St. Thomas's Hospital for comparison, and I have also a number of observations on my own students which I have gradually accumulated.

I decided to concentrate my attention on the cranial index, the facial index, the hair and eye colour, and the stature, but I soon found that with wounded prisoners, many of whom were in bed, the stature was very difficult to obtain. As, however, the stature of all the prisoners of war in England is recorded and preserved in the Information Bureau in Wellington Street, I have obtained my statistics from there, as well as a good deal of extra information about hair and eye coloration.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZTMwNTBm&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default On the Long Barrow Race and Its Relationship to the Modern Inhabitants of London (1921)

ON THE LONG BARROW RACE AND ITS RELATIONSHIP TO THE MODERN INHABITANTS OF LONDON

IN Biometrika (Vol. iii, 1904, p. 242) the late Dr. Macdonell, speaking of the White- chapel series of skulls, says, " The great average length, the comparative narrowness, and the resulting degree of dolichocephaly are, of course, not the only distinguishing marks of the Whitechapel crania, but they are those which strike the most casual observer. They lead us at once to ask, where can we find anything which In the least corresponds to these English characters ? The answer appears to be, only in the Long Barrow crania of this and other countries. They agree with nothing else on the Continent with which we are acquainted. Our crania do not accord with Anglo-Saxon, with Romano-British, or with Round Barrow British, but are in general appearance and biometric constants remarkably close to the Long Barrow British."

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZTg1NDUz&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default The Brachycephalic Skull (1924)

The Brachycephalic Skull

THE present paper is a study of brachycephalic skulls, partly carried out by comparing dioptographic sketches one with another and partly by reducing the whole series to composite sketches from three points of view. Some anthropologists prefer averages, others groups in contrast, and as probably both have sound reasons for their preference, we may hope to learn something from each method.

SUMMARY.

The material at my disposal seems to suggest the following conclusions:--

(1) That the brachycephalic skull is both shorter and broader than the dolicho-cephalic, but that its decrease in length is greater than its increase in breadth.

(2) That the dolichocephalic skull is longer by increased growth in its posterior part.

(3) That the brachycephalic skull is wider chiefly by growth in its temporal regions.

(4) That short European skulls are usually more prognathous than long ones.

(5) That when the nasal width is compared with the whole area of the face, brachycephalic skulls are distinctly broader-nosed than dolichocephalic are.

(6) That when the orbital height is compared with the whole area of the face the orbital openings are not so high in the brachycephalic as in the Nordic skull.

By the advice of some of my colleagues, I have carefully refrained from discussing the possible causes of any of these changes. Should the records be verified and become accepted facts, I shall be equally glad if they strengthen or weaken any existing theory.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NzBhYjU2&hl=en

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default Alveolar and Facial Prognathism (1930)

Alveolar and Facial Prognathism [in Anglo-Saxons]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00554-0167.pdf

Thread Information