Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 534
    Given: 572

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brännvin View Post
    Don't forget that Albanians became Europe's only Muslim-majority culture, with the Bosnians only about half Muslim.

From the euroheritage.net

Sorry but I had to post..
    -

In October 2003, police arrested Kastriot Myftari, author of the book "Albanian National Islamism" on charges of inciting religious hatred against Muslims. The book contained the author's attacks on Islam and his advocacy for converting Muslims of Albania into Catholics. According to the prosecutor's office, several statements in the book demeaned and distorted the Islamic faith. The prosecutor had asked the court for 6 months imprisonment for the author. But as a result of pressure from western embassies in June, the court acquitted Myftari of all charges.The case of Myftari has not been the only case when the amicable relationship among religions has been distorted in Albania. In November 2005 a speech from Albania's president in London, aroused huge public protests from Muslim organizations and The Muslim Forum of Albaniathat accused the president of insulting Islam. While in early 2006 the attempt from the government to place a statue of Mother Theresa in the entrance of Shkodra and the attempt to convert the Fatih Mosque into a church, led again some Muslim organizations and intellectuals to denounce their state's attempt to Christianize the politics of Albania and ignore the feeling of Muslims. However, the statue was placed in Shkodra and the Muslims claimed that they were misinterpreted.

http://en.allexperts.com/e/i/is/islam_in_albania.htm

http://vargmal.org/ pagan and atheist albanian site.

In December 2003, a male Muslim student was prohibited from having his diploma photograph taken because he had a beard

The times are changing. Hopefully it will wipe out the muslim fanatics and thereby make them denounce the arabic moon god and rather show interest in paganism. The religious communities are not that large, and people really don't care what they say. Religion is viewed as hippocritical by many and therefore many are atheist or agnostic.

There is also building of many new churches. Greeks are planning on building a huge church in Tirana:

http://www.dailyfrappe.com/Default.a...ookieSupport=1

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-28-2018 @ 09:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
    Skenderbeg is Montenegrin Djuradj Crnojevic!

Are you Malisor?
    - Thats your opinion.

Yes i am from the Malsia e Madhe region of Albania.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

From Malsia e Madhe region:

[youtube]mBuTOkmlFKo[/youtube]

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Song about Çerçiz Topulli, nationa hero from Gjirokaster that led ressitance movement against the ottomans:

[youtube]WnFVwv9z89U[/youtube]

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

More from malsia:

[youtube]EGTlcKL2eHQ[/youtube]

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I'll post more later.
    Last edited by Bari; 08-11-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Hatchling
    Last Online
    10-15-2010 @ 03:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Albanian author Ismail Kadare wins Spanish literature prize:

Albanian writer Ismail Kadare was awarded Spain's Prince of Asturias literature prize on Wednesday in recognition of the social commitment in his work.

Describing him as one of the greatest authors in world literature, prize organizers said Kadare "represents the pinnacle of Albanian literature and, without forgetting his roots, has crossed frontiers to rise up as a universal voice against totalitarianism."

The 2009 award announced Wednesday is one of eight Asturias prizes bestowed each year in areas such as the arts, the sciences, international cooperation and communication.

Kadare's writings first attracted attention during the years of Enver Hoxha's repressive communist regime. A novelist, essayist and poet, his work gained greater international fame after he was granted political asylum in France in 1990.

Born in 1936 in Gjirokaster, Albania, a southern city where Hoxha was also born, Kadare's most popular novels include "The General of the Dead Army, "The Palace of Dreams""The Concert."

A regular nominee for the Nobel literature prize, Kadare won the first International Booker award in 2005. His books have been translated into more than 40 languages.

As a boy, Kadare witnessed World War II and the occupation of his country by fascist Italy, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, until Hoxha established his dictatorship in 1944, the foundation said in a biographical note.

A noted scholar of Albanian traditions and the oddities of the Balkan state, his works are often set around historic events affecting his country such as the break between Albania and the former Soviet Union, Catholic and Orthodox rivalries and the split between Tirana and Beijing, it added.

Kadare lives in Paris although he is known to travel regularly to Albania.

The Asturias awards include a €50,000 ($70,000) cash stipend and a sculpture by artist Joan Miro. The prizes are named after Spain's Crown Prince Felipe, whose formal title is prince of Asturias, a region of northern Spain.

Canadian author Margaret Atwood won the 2008 Prince of Asturias prize for letters.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e034051D22.DTL

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Albanian national slogan:
    "Mos shikoni kisha e xhamia .Feja e shqyptarit âsht shqyptaria!"meaning:
    "Churches and mosques you shall not heed. The religion of Albanians is albanism."

Pashko Vasa, Albanian poet and writer from Skhoder in Northern Albania.

Last Online
    01-05-2010 @ 05:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ibero-romanic
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dardhan View Post

Albanian author Ismail Kadare wins Spanish literature prize:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...e034051D22.DTL
    Ismail Kadare is one of my favourite writers; I recommend to read Broken April, it's about the Kanun, the ancestral system of blood laws in Northern Albania. Ther description of the customs of the mountain people and of the landscape of the area are excellent. Kadare is well known in Spain, because the translator, Ramon Sanchez Lizarralde (who lived in Albania during Hoxha's regime - he was then a communist militant) is one of the major expert in literary translations in Spain.

Reading Kadare is a good way to know this mysterious (for other europeans) country

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Samhället
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Ismail Kadare is one of my favourite writers; I recommend to read Broken April, it's about the Kanun, the ancestral system of blood laws in Northern Albania. Ther description of the customs of the mountain people and of the landscape of the area are excellent. Kadare is well known in Spain, because the translator, Ramon Sanchez Lizarralde (who lived in Albania during Hoxha's regime - he was then a communist militant) is one of the major expert in literary translations in Spain.

Reading Kadare is a good way to know this mysterious (for other europeans) country
    Edith Durhams book about her travels to the mountains of Northern Albania i find quite interesting.

The most important fact in North Albania is blood-vengeance, which is indeed the old, old idea of purification by blood. It is spread throughout the land. All else is subservient to it.

"What profit is life to a man if his honour be not clean?" To cleanse his honour no price is too great. And in the mountains the individual is submerged tribe. He is answerable, too, for the honour of his mehala, sometimes indeed of his whole fis.

Blood can be wiped out only with blood. A blow also demands blood, so do insulting words. One of the worst insults is the marrying of a girl betrothed to one man, to another. Nothing but blood can cleanse it.

Abduction of a girl demands blood, as does of course adultery. This does not appear to be common. It entails so much blood that "the game is not worth the candle." The blood taken need not be that of the actual offender. It must be male blood of his house or tribe. The usage differs in various districts, and will be noted in the accounts of them.

A man is answerable, too, for his guest, and must avenge a stranger that has passed but one night beneath his roof, if on his journey next day he be attacked. The sacredness of the guest is far-reaching. A man who brought me water from his house, that I might drink by the way, said that I now ranked as his guest, and that he should be bound by his honour to avenge me should anything happen to me before I had received hospitality from another.

Blood-vengeance, slaying a man according to the laws of honour, must not be confounded with murder. Murder starts a blood feud. In blood-vengeance the rules of the game are strictly observed. A man may not be shot for vengeance when he is with a woman nor with a child, nor when he is met in company, nor when besa (oath of peace) has been given. The two parties may swear such an oath for a few weeks if they choose, for business purposes. There are men who, on account of blood, have never been out alone for years.

When the avenger has slain his victim, he first reaches a place of safety, and then proclaims that he has done the deed. He wishes all to know his honour is clean. That he is now liable to be shot, and, if the blood be taken within the tribe, to heavy punishment also, is of minor moment to him.

In the Dukaghini tribes the council has power not merely to burn his house, but to destroy his crops, fell his trees, slaughter his beasts, and condemn him to leave his land unworked. An incredible amount of food-stuff is yearly wasted, and land made desolate.

The house is perhaps not merely the home of himself, his wife and children, but that of a whole family community, forty or fifty people. The law is carried out to the last letter. It crushes the innocent along with the guilty; it is remorseless, relentless. But "it is the Canon and must be obeyed."

A man can save his house only if he can return to it and defend it successfully for three days, so that no one can approach near enough to set fire to it. A "very brave man" was pointed out to me in Berisha, who has three times been condemned to have his house burnt, and each time saved it thus. A man can also save his property by inviting to the house the head of another mehala, who must then declare himself house lord and take command. The house is then, for the time being, his; he summons his own men to defend it, a regular battle may take place, and the house be saved. But it is usual at once to call a council of Elders to stop the warfare. In such a case it is usual to burn only the house, and spare the crop and other property (Berisha).

The Canon of Lek has but two punishments, fine and burning of property. Neither death nor imprisonment can be inflicted. Prison there is none. Death would but start a new feud. And Lek's object appears to have been to check feud.

In the case of a man accused of murder, and arraigned before the Elders, should it occur that they cannot come to any agreement as to whether he be guilty or not, a new trial can be made. But the Lord of Blood rarely waits for this. He prefers to shoot the man that he accuses, and by so doing renders himself liable to house-burning, and to being shot in his turn. Sometimes the Ghaksur (taker of blood) flies and shelters with another tribe, leaving his burnt-out family to shift for themselves. Or his relations take him in, help pay his fine–for the honour of them all is cleaned by the blood-taking–give him, one a sheep, another an ox, and he helps work their land till free to work his own again, and so he makes a fresh start. I have met men burnt clean out three times, but now in fairly flourishing condition.

Any house to which a Ghaksur flies for shelter is bound to give him food and protection; he is a guest, and as such sacred. The Law of Blood has thus had great influence in mixing the population of all the western side (at least) of the Balkan peninsula, Montenegrins have for centuries fled from "blood" into Albania, and Albanians into Montenegro. A large proportion of the Serbophone Moslems of Podgoritza are said to derive from Montenegrins, who refuged there from blood in the days when it was Turkish territory. According to the Canon a man is absolute master in his own house, and, in the unmodified form of the law, has the right to kill his wife, and any of his children. My informants doubted whether the killing of the wife would be tolerated now. She would be avenged by her own family. A man may, however, kill his wife with the consent of her family. A case in point took place, I was told, recently. The wife of a mountain man left him and went down to Scutari, where she lived immorally with the soldiers, thereby blackening the honour of her husband, and of her own family.

Her husband appealed to her brother (head of the family), who gave him the cartridge with which he shot her and cleaned the honour of them all. Had she eloped with a man, he would have been held guilty and shot. She would not be punished, as the man would be held to have led her astray. But in the above case her guilt was undoubted. It is very rare that a woman is killed. To kill a married woman entails two bloods–blood with her husband's and with her own family.

A woman is never liable for blood-vengeance, except in the rare case of her taking it herself. But even then there seems to be a feeling that it would be very bad form to shoot her. I could not hear of a recent case. I roused the greatest horror by saying that a woman who commits a murder in England is by law liable to the same punishment as a man. Shala is a wild tribe; it shoots freely. But a Shala man said, "It is impossible. Where could a man be found who would hang a woman? No mountain man would do it. It is a bad law. You must be bad people." He was as genuinely shocked as is a suburban mission meeting over the sacrifices of Dahomey. The tribe cannot punish bloodshed within the family group, e.g. if one cousin in a communal house kill another. The head of the house is arbiter. A man said naïvely on this subject, "How can such a case be punished? A family cannot owe itself blood?" To him the "family" was the entity; the individual had no separate existence. Marriage is arranged entirely by the head of the house. The children are betrothed in infancy or in utero . Even earlier. A man will say to another with whom he wishes to be allied, "When your wife has a daughter I want her for my son." A wife is always bought. The infant comes into the world irrevocably affianced, and part of the purchase-money is at once paid. She can marry no other man, is sent to her unknown husband when old enough, and the balance of the price handed over. The husband is bound to take her, no matter what she is like, or fall into blood with her family. The girl may–but it requires much courage on her part–refuse to marry the man. In that case she must swear before witnesses to remain virgin all her life. Should she break this vow, endless bloodshed is caused. If her father sell her to another it entails two bloods–blood between her family and her first betrothed's, and blood between her husband's and her betrothed's. Should she make a run-away match there is triple blood, as her family is at blood also with her husband's. In such cases the woman is furiously blamed. "She knew the laws, and the amount of blood that must be shed."

The most singular part of the business is the readiness with which most youths accept the girl bought for them. I never heard of one refusing, though I met several "Albanian virgins," girls who had sworn virginity to escape their betrothed.

The Catholic Church is making strenuous efforts to suppress infant betrothal by refusing to recognise it under the age of fourteen, and trying then to be sure that the girl consents, but as yet little progress has been made. By the Canon a man could divorce his wife by cutting off a piece of her dress and sending her home thus disfigured. The Church has not quite suppressed this among the Christian tribes. It is said to be a common practice among the Moslems. A man though married may take his brother's widow as concubine one month after his brother's death, also his uncle's or cousin's widow. Children of such unions are reckoned legitimate by the people, and may even be considered to be those of the first husband. In Maltsia e madhe this custom is now extinct; but in Dukaghini and Pulati, in spite of all the priests, it is quite common. Throughout the Moslem tribes this practice prevails; otherwise it is said to be rare for a Moslem tribesman to have more than one wife at a time.

(I was told in Montenegro that a hundred years ago it was not uncommon for a man to have two wives. Possibly it was this same custom.) Should a woman bear her husband only daughters, the family on his death have the right to turn her out penniless, though they have sold all the daughters at good prices. A woman believed capable of producing only daughters is valueless, and cannot hope to marry again. Should her own people be too poor to take her in, her lot is most miserable. On this point humaner feelings are beginning to prevail. The birth of a daughter is still considered a misfortune. Yet I was assured everywhere that there were more men than women in the land, and young marriageable widows when for sale are snapped up at once, often fetching more than maidens.

The rule as to whom a childless widow belongs seems to vary in different parts. In Kastrati and in Vukli (Maltsia e madhe) I was told she was the property of her father or, in case of his decease, his next heir male. Should she have children, she must remain with her husband's family to bring them up. The children belong to the family–not to her.

In Dukaghini, should she not be taken on as concubine by a member of her husband's family, his family and her family share the price for which they sell her again.

No man may strike a woman but her husband–or, if she be unmarried, her father. To do so entails blood.

A woman in the mountains, in spite of the severe work she is forced to do, is in many ways freer than the women of Scutari. She speaks freely to the men; is often very bright and intelligent, and her opinion may be asked and taken. I have seen a man bring his wife to give evidence in some case under dispute. I have also seen the women interfere to stop a quarrel, but where the family honour is concerned they are as anxious that blood should be taken as are the men.

The fact that a wife cannot be obtained without paying for her among the mountain tribes is one of the frequent causes of abduction.

In Maltsia e madhe a girl who has sworn virginity–"an Albanian virgin"–can, if her father leave no son, inherit land and work it. At her death it goes to her father's nearest heir male. These women as a rule wear male dress and may carry arms.

The practice of women wearing male dress existed also in that part of Montenegro known as the Brda, which includes those tribes that are according to tradition allied by blood to those of Albania. Medakovich, a Russian traveller, records meeting one at Rovac in 1855. She had sworn virginity and ranked as her father's son, he having none.

In Dukaghini, though I met several Albanian Virgins, I neither saw nor heard of an instance of a maiden in male dress.

Space does not permit further details. I have given sufficient only to make the following travels comprehensible.

We crossed the border of Kastrati and Hoti. The church of Bridzha showed a solitary speck of white high up at the end of the valley. It seemed miles from anywhere. I asked if any house of those clustered at the mountain's foot would give us a midday meal. To the Bariaktar's house, said the Kastrati guide decidedly, we would not go, because he was a Moslem. But he knew a large Christian house where we should be well entertained.

It was a mass of planks and poles, for the owner and the men of his house were busy enlarging it. We entered up a crazy ladder, through a hole in the wall, and plunged into a huge cavernous blackness lighted only through broken roof-tiles, by three Jacob's ladders of sunlight, up which smoke-angels twirled and twisted. The two tiny loopholes at the further end showed only as stars in the gloom

Our welcome was warm. Cushions and sheepskins were strewn for us, and a woman cast a great faggot on to the fire that glowed red under a huge hood at the far end of the room. Slowly, as my eyes grew used to the plunge from dazzle to darkness, I took in the wonderful scene in detail.

It was a vast room–so vast that, though stacked with goods, the twenty-seven persons in it only made a tiny group at either end. Far away at the great hooded fire the women, silhouetted black against the blaze, were making ready the midday meal.

The red flare danced on the smoke-blackened rafters of the roof. Rudely painted chests, twenty or more, containing the belongings of the family, were piled and ranged everywhere. Arms and field tools hung on the walls and from the tie-beams on wooden hooks. Flour and much of the food-stuffs were in large hollow tree-trunks–dug-out barrels. An indescribable jumble of old clothes, saddles, bridles, cartridge-belts, was strewn over all in wild confusion.

The bedding–thick sheets of white home-woven felt, pillows of red cotton, and plaited reed-mats–was stacked on the chests.

The floor was of thick, short, axe-hewn planks; the mighty walls, against which nothing less than artillery would be of any use, were of bare, rough stone. Dried meat hung from above, and long festoons of little dried fish for fast-days.

It was more like a cave than a house. There was something even majestic and primeval in its size, its gloom and chaos. Nor did even cavemen live with much less luxury.

At midday the men trooped in from building. Coffee and rakia flowed. The sofra (low round table) was brought and a large salt sheep-cheese, cut in chunks, put in the middle, to help down the rakia.

The Kastrati man was specially pressed to drink; his presence caused great mirth. The "joke" was a peculiarly Albanian one. Not only was Kastrati at blood with Hoti, but Kastrati had blackened the honour of the very house in which we were sitting, so bitterly, that the whole of both tribes was involved. Except with safe-conduct of a Hoti man–or under the protection of a stranger, as was the case–my gay young Kastrati could not have crossed the border-line save at the peril of his life. But he had chosen to come right into the lion's jaws, and the "cheek" of him pleased every one immensely. All drank healths with him, he was the honoured guest, and they discussed pleasantly how many bloods would be required before peace could be made. The house-master was quite frank; five was the number he thought necessary. And the Kastrati thought that five would satisfy them too. He was told, however, that this visit was all very fine, but that, though he might carry out his bargain and take me as far as Bridzha, he was to go no farther. I asked rather anxiously how he was to get back, as I did not want to have to return in order to shelter him. They laughed and promised him safe-conduct. It was "all in the game."
    Last edited by Bari; 02-08-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information