Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

1 Not allowed!

Default Is beauty only skin deep?

All stereotypes are true, except... III: "Beauty is only skin deep"
    They say beauty is only skin deep, which means that beautiful people are no different from ugly people except for their appearance. This is the second stereotype or aphorism that evolutionary psychology has overturned. It turns out that beautiful people are genuinely different from ugly people, because they are genetically and developmentally healthier.

In my last post, I explained that the standards of beauty are culturally universal and innate. There are three main features that characterize beautiful faces: the geometric feature of bilateral symmetry, the mathematical feature of averageness, and the biological feature of secondary sexual characteristics. They all indicate genetic and developmental health of beautiful people.
    Bilateral symmetry. Attractive faces are more symmetrical than unattractive faces. Bilateral symmetry (the extent to which the facial features on the left and the right sides are identical) decreases with exposure to parasites, pathogens, and toxins during development, and with genetic disruptions such as mutations and inbreeding. Developmentally and genetically healthier individuals have greater symmetry in their facial and bodily features, and are thus more attractive.
    For this reason, across societies, there is a positive correlation between parasites and pathogen prevalence in the environment and the importance placed on physical attractiveness in mate selection; people place more importance on physical attractiveness when there are more pathogens and parasites in their local environment. This is because in societies where there are a lot of pathogens and parasites in the environment, it is especially important to avoid individuals who have been afflicted with them when selecting mates.
    Averageness. Facial averageness is another feature that increases physical attractiveness; faces with features closer to the population average are more attractive than those with extreme features. In the memorable words of Judith H. Langlois of the University of Texas, who originally discovered that the standards of beauty might be innate, “attractive faces are only average.” Evolutionary psychological reasons for why average faces in the population are more attractive than extreme faces are not as clear as the reasons for why bilateral symmetry is attractive. Current speculation is that facial averageness results from the heterogeneity rather than the homogeneity of genes. Individuals who have two different copies (or alleles) of a gene are more resistant to a larger number of parasites, less likely to have two copies of deleterious genes, and at the same time more likely to have statistically more average faces with less extreme features. If this speculation is correct, it means that, just like bilateral symmetry, facial averageness is an indicator of genetic health and parasite resistance.

Secondary sexual characteristics. Unlike the geometric concept of bilateral symmetry and the mathematical concept of averageness, the biological concept of secondary sexual characteristics differ for the sexes. For men, features that are considered to be attractive are indicators of high levels testosterone (such as large jaws and prominent brow ridges). For women, features that are considered to be attractive are indicators of high levels of estrogen (such as large eyes, fuller lips, larger foreheads, and smaller chins). This is probably why women instinctively tilt their head forward and look up (making their eyes and forehead look larger than they are and their chin smaller than it is) when they want to appear attractive. (Think of the way Princess Diana was typically photographed). Similarly, men instinctively tilt their head back (making their jaw appear larger than it is and their brow ridge more prominent than it is) when they want to look attractive. For both sexes, faces that typify higher levels of sex-typical hormones are considered to be attractive.

Far from being only skin deep, beauty appears to be an indicators of genetic and developmental health, and therefore of mate quality; beauty is a “health certification.” More attractive people are healthier, have greater physical fitness, live longer, and have fewer lower back pain problems (although some scientists dispute these findings). Bilateral symmetry measures beauty so accurately that there is now a computer program that can calculate someone’s facial symmetry from a scanned photograph of a face (by measuring the sizes of and distances between various facial parts) and assign a single score for physical attractiveness, which correlates highly with scores assigned by human judges. A computer program can also digitally average human faces. Beauty therefore is an objective and quantifiable attribute of individuals, like height or weight, both of which were more or less “in the eye of the beholder” before the invention of the yardstick and the scale.
    source:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-only-skin-de
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

0 Not allowed!

Beauty is more than skin deep. A pretty face is not everything. A friendly smile can make most people beautiful.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

1 Not allowed!

My post from "Beautiful European Women" thread:
    For me beauty has two dimensions (for both genders) - physical one including the so called healthy look - face symmetry; skull shape; skin, hair and teeth condition; nose, eye and ear shape; harmonic body development.
    Second one is spiritual - the so called aura, charm, intellect and behavior.
    The perfect, complete beauty is the combination of two types
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Oh yes, the aura is important.

Even the most shallow, superficial men will admit that a pretty woman who appears to be an "empty shell" is less sexy than a more average woman who possesses the charms and knows how to use them.

For more intelligent people, beauty is important but character and smarts are more important. Besides, beauty fades away and when you reach your 30s you stop caring about sexual attractiveness so much and start looking for a partner on the basis of maturity and reliability.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Well great, I'm hardly ever sick and my body is strong, guess I'm a real beauty, hurray for me.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Sicilian Italian, with distant Lebanese, Syrian and French ancestry
    Ancestry
    Mediterranean Basin
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Sicily
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Anatolid/Dinarid
    Politics
    Conservative
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,623
    Given: 1,541

0 Not allowed!

^Man people were more proper and elegant back then here.

Beauty is both outwards appearance and skin deep!

Banned
    Last Online
    07-29-2023 @ 05:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    --
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Quebec City
    Y-DNA
    --
    mtDNA
    --
    Taxonomy
    --
    Politics
    --
    Religion
    -+
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,244
    Given: 1,444

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Odelia View Post
    ^Man people were more proper and elegant back then here.

Beauty is both outwards appearance and skin deep!
    If science were sports psychology would be the little leagues and physics would be the New York Yankees. All real science has to follow the laws of physics. It is funny to see people take this shit seriously when not even physics is entirely immune :

Last Online
    02-22-2024 @ 04:27 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Uralic-Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Religion
    Axis Mundi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 1,587

0 Not allowed!

Tabiti:
    For me beauty has two dimensions (for both genders) - physical one including the so called healthy look - face symmetry; skull shape; skin, hair and teeth condition; nose, eye and ear shape; harmonic body development.
    Second one is spiritual - the so called aura, charm, intellect and behavior.
    The perfect, complete beauty is the combination of two types
    Good post.

I will probably never be good at phenotyping, because I don’t believe in it.
    Looking as German as I do – people project another identity upon me which renders my real identity invisible.
    This used to bother me a lot, but now – I don’t really care anymore.

Since it had only been the indigenous who have ‘seen’ the discrepancy of my identity and appearance, I came to the conclusion that “whites” or Westerners do not perceive – they only project. (Well, that was when I felt really pissed off about it).

Though it is true (in my experience) that indigenous and “white” or Westerners are taught to perceive differently.
    Very early in my childhood I learned to regard a person’s energy field (or call it aura or ‘energetic double’) as more important than the physical manifestation.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/French Canadian/Ukrainian
    Ancestry
    About 1/2 British/Irish/Scottish, 1/4 French Canadian, and 1/4 Ukrainian (SW Ukraine) + a few other
    Country
    Canada
    mtDNA
    T2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,283
    Given: 12,797

1 Not allowed!

I personally still believe beauty is only skin deep. When I compare the conventionally attractive and not conventionally attractive people I met, both were just as likely to be mean or bad people despite society assuming pretty people are nicer.

And same for with intelligence, despite people assuming beautiful people are smarter from my experience they are not smarter than less attractive people, and I've actually met some shockingly stupid pretty people.

People also assume beautiful people are more social which is a strange stereotype, this one I actually think is slightly true since pretty people have more social interactions but I've encountered introverted attractive people too who hated people's expectation to be social.

I think the main reason why beautiful people are seen to have more positive attributes is due to the halo effect, which I believe raises there confidence and gives the illusion that they are superior.

I'll admit I believe it is possible they are genetically healthier, but I am skeptical.

And physical fitness meh.....I'm not considered conventionally attractive by most and very physically fit, I also have no health problems.

I really wish beauty was defined more by people's personality, morals, and talents but society is obviously far from that.
    Anyways people are welcome to disagree with me lol I welcome debate on this
    =(^.^)=

Also I don't do classifications currently, sorry.

Thread Information