Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The beginning of time was a real point in time: proof!

Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 04:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    English-Irish-Scottish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Noxcho View Post
    You are assuming in your argument that time does in fact exist and is not merely a byproduct of man's perception of the universe.
    Perception is a process and therefore requires time. If you're going to argue against time's existence, you'll therefore have to refrain from the use of all verbs.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Stefan; "meta-ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ethnicity
    Stefan; "ethnicity" is a spook and I don't mean the slur.
    Ancestry
    Britain, Germany, Iberia, France, West Africa, Carribean natives, etc, etc.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Taxonomy
    Pseudoscience
    Politics
    Individualist Anarchist - influenced by Tucker/Stirner/Proudhon/Warren
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Burzum fan View Post
    How so?
    They're both infinite processes.

Infinite processes remained theoretically troublesome in mathematics until the late 19th century. The epsilon-delta version of Weierstrass and Cauchy developed a rigorous formulation of the logic and calculus involved. These works resolved the mathematics involving infinite processes.[31]
    While mathematics can be used to calculate where and when the moving Achilles will overtake the Tortoise of Zeno's paradox, philosophers such as Brown and Moorcroft[4][5] claim that mathematics does not address the central point in Zeno's argument, and that solving the mathematical issues does not solve every issue the paradoxes raise.
    Zeno's arguments are often misrepresented in the popular literature. That is, Zeno is often said to have argued that the sum of an infinite number of terms must itself be infinite–with the result that not only the time, but also the distance to be travelled, become infinite.[citation needed] However, none of the original ancient sources has Zeno discussing the sum of any infinite series. Simplicius has Zeno saying "it is impossible to traverse an infinite number of things in a finite time". This presents Zeno's problem not with finding the sum, but rather with finishing a task with an infinite number of steps: how can one ever get from A to B, if an infinite number of (non-instantaneous) events can be identified that need to precede the arrival at B, and one cannot reach even the beginning of a "last event"?[4][5][6][32]
    Today there is still a debate on the question of whether or not Zeno's paradoxes have been resolved. In The History of Mathematics, Burton writes, "Although Zeno's argument confounded his contemporaries, a satisfactory explanation incorporates a now-familiar idea, the notion of a 'convergent infinite series.'"[33] Bertrand Russell offered a "solution" to the paradoxes based on modern physics,[citation needed] but Brown concludes "Given the history of 'final resolutions', from Aristotle onwards, it's probably foolhardy to think we've reached the end. It may be that Zeno's arguments on motion, because of their simplicity and universality, will always serve as a kind of 'Rorschach image' onto which people can project their most fundamental phenomenological concerns (if they have any)."[4]

Last Online
    07-27-2018 @ 11:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    -
    Country
    Macedonia
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Taxonomy
    -
    Politics
    -
    Religion
    .!.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,543
    Given: 903

0 Not allowed!

What's wrong with the theory that time started with big beng? even Hawking in his book 'a brief history of time' support this theory.

Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 04:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    English-Irish-Scottish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arb View Post
    What's wrong with the theory that time started with big beng? even Hawking in his book 'a brief history of time' support this theory.
    Nothing, but this is an exercise in metaphysical thinking. Of course we can also see if the logical conclusions we reach through metaphysical arguments fit with scientific evidence. If they don't, we know someone's screwing up. Luckily my arguments do happen to fit the Big Bang theory.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Noxcho View Post
    You are assuming in your argument that time does in fact exist and is not merely a byproduct of man's perception of the universe.
    Kant described time as a "mode of perception" and, IMO rightly so. The following paradox militates against the existence of time as a Ding an sich.
    Take the shortest interval of time you can imagine , say 10^-100 second.
    Whatever happened just 10^-100 sec ago is already in the past; it's over and done with.

Whatever is about to happen 10^-100 second from now HASN'T happened yet. It is still in the future. The present is only the interval between 10^-100 second ago and 10^-100 second from now or 2 X 10^-100 seconds. But, if we had chosen an even smaller unit of time, say 10^-1000000 second, the duration of the present would be only 2 X 10^-1000000 second. Clearly, then, the actual duration of the present would be ZERO.

THE PRESENT DOES NOT EXIST ! However, if the present does not exist,
    WHEN DOES ANYTHING HAPPEN ? What is the time in which I, e.g., can DO anything ? I can't do anything before it happens and I can't do anything after it has happened, and, in fact there being no time in which for it to do so, it can't happen at all.

If the present time doesn't exist and nothing can happen, surely we are justified in assering that TIME DOES NOT EXIST. Perhaps it is just a strategem which we have invented in order to organise and make sense of
    our experience.

"Chronon te genesthai eikona tou aidiou" - Plato
    "Time was created as an image of eternity"
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

What could even a (smart and curious) man raised by wolves have figured out about time on his own?
    He would probably figure out that there was a pattern in his day concerning the distance between certain things that he would call 'time'. He would notice that the sun sets at a certain time (but varies) and it takes a certain amount of 'time' to cook chicken, etc. I don't know what else to say, I can't remember when I first learnt of 'time' so I can't really put myself in this persons mind.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

By the way, if you believe that time itself began, where did it come from? Usually atheists seem to think time itself predates the (traceable) universe, which began with the big bang.
    It didn't come from anywhere. It began with the big bang. There was nothing before the big bang, no particles, no time, no mass, not energy. What brought on the big bang (from what I was taught in school) were certain subatomic particles that could appear and disappear rapidly at any random time. This is where 'something can come from nothing'.

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default All well and good, BUT

Perception is a process and therefore requires time. If you're going to argue against time's existence, you'll therefore have to refrain from the use of all verbs.
    Then, how do you avoid the paradox that the duration of the present is ZERO ? That is my point: that assuming the reality of time leads us into an irresolvable paradox.

"INTELLEGO VT CREDAM" - ?
    "This is not my time; this is not my world; these are not my people." - Martin H. Francis

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Northern Italy, Lithuania, Scotland
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid + CM
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,173
    Given: 7,962

0 Not allowed!

How so?
    Take a jumping ball as an example. If it loses 50% of its energy everytime it jumps, it will jump each time less an less, but will never stop jumping, even if the jump becomes imperceptible.

But this is a quantum mechanics problem. It doesn't apply to a macro-system, so don't worry about that, this is just to you to visualize what Stefan said.

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Medvjed View Post
    It didn't come from anywhere. It began with the big bang. There was nothing before the big bang, no particles, no time, no mass, not energy. What brought on the big bang (from what I was taught in school) were certain subatomic particles that could appear and disappear rapidly at any random time. This is where 'something can come from nothing'.
    How do you know there was nothing? Where is the proof of that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information