Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we call the Italians 'swarthy'?

Lovecraftian in Design Vesuvian Sky's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 03:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    I fucking incinerate your heroes.
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,687
    Given: 1,192

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Yes. And because people think of Vinny and Pauly D as "Italian" (both look mixed race, idc if someone brings up that they are not), I have not once (going by looks) been correctly identified as even partially Italian American.
    Actually this goes back to a conversation you and I had a while ago. Italy by region has various degrees of physical variations among its people.

But what people forget is that there's the sub-racial types of Italy and then there's "Joisey!" which is not the the best representation of Italianess at all IMO.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvian Sky View Post
    Actually this goes back to a conversation you and I had a while ago. Italy by region has various degrees of physical variations among its people.

But what people forget is that there's the sub-racial types of Italy and then there's "Joisey!" which is not the the best representation of Italianess at all IMO.
    This is true. But to see two or three people on the same show claiming to be "Italian" who all look so strange, is testament to the fact that modern "Italian Americans" are mixed with other things.

Lovecraftian in Design Vesuvian Sky's Avatar
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 03:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lovecraftian
    Ethnicity
    Great Old One
    Ancestry
    Oceanic
    Taxonomy
    Chtulhid
    Politics
    N/A
    Hero
    I fucking incinerate your heroes.
    Religion
    I am religion.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,687
    Given: 1,192

0 Not allowed!

This is true. But to see two or three people on the same show claiming to be "Italian" who all look so strange, is testament to the fact that modern "Italian Americans" are mixed with other things.
    I was surprised to learn not to long ago that allegedly Italian was the 5th largest claimed ethnicity. This was the breakdown from a now defunct wikipedia page:

1. Han Chinese
    2. Bengalis
    3. Germans
    4. Russians
    5. Italians
    6. Punjabi
    7. Yamato
    8. French
    9. Telugu
    10. English

I suspect though this article was deleted for possible quality issues but if not the appearance of Italy I said to myself had to be due to mixed Italian ethinicites particularly if we factor in Brazil and all other 'New World diasporas'.

defunct article link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Banned
    Last Online
    01-14-2024 @ 11:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Armeno-Lappanoid
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    Anti-Communist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Because not only are most Italians of southern Italian descent in the US but also, today's famous "Italians" are mixed with darker ethnicities and do not look Italian (like the people on Jersey Shore) which has removed Italians from "dark white" category to a only someone white one. It's ridiculous.
    Yeah, Italian Americans do seem to mix a lot. But I met Northern Italians who had Carla Bruni's same colouring and were not swarthy at all. People couldn't believe they were Italian.

If you go to some websites for black people, they even claim that original Italians from both Southern and Northern Italy are mixed with them! It's totally absurd, considering that neither are.

Still, I think that when we address those "dark white" Italians we should at least specify that we mean Southern Italians. Otherwise we are buying into the Jersey Shore propaganda that equals Southern Europeans to latinos, and encourages us to think of all Italians in those terms in order to further destroy our European general image, culture and heritage. As a preservation forum, we should be above that and we should portray Europeans the way they really are.

By the way I know what I am talking about because I dated a Northern Italian girl, and believe me when I say I don't personally dig swarthy

Matthias Corvinus
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno Ugric
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Szekler, Germans
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Hero
    Matthias Corvinus, Hungaria Kapitany, Franz Joseph
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,248
    Given: 1,489

0 Not allowed!

Italians in general are not swarthy at all. Esp. Northern Italians are looking very similar to Swiss and Austrians.
    Prodigies appear in the oddest of places

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,070
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

The only "swarthy" Italians are Calabrese and Sicilians and it's not so much the coloring that is notable but the facial features sometimes (pointy noses, large downturned eyes).

Banned
    Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 04:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ancestry
    Benitez
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Benitez
    Politics
    Europa league
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,495
    Given: 1,101

0 Not allowed!

Northern Italians have their own good percentage of swarties.

BTW the genetic difference between people from Campania and Emilia Romagna is too much small to create a big difference in pigmentation in the eyes of most North Central Euros.

Matthias Corvinus
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno Ugric
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Szekler, Germans
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Hero
    Matthias Corvinus, Hungaria Kapitany, Franz Joseph
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,248
    Given: 1,489

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Capelli View Post
    Northern Italians have their own good percentage of swarties.

BTW the genetic difference between people from Campania and Emilia Romagna is too much small to create a big difference in pigmentation in the eyes of most North Central Euros.
    But so have Swiss and Austrians as well. Still the vast majority is light pigmented and Alpine, Dinarid, Nordid even Keltic Nordic looking
    Prodigies appear in the oddest of places

Banned
    Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 04:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ethnicity
    Benitez
    Ancestry
    Benitez
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Benitez
    Politics
    Europa league
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,495
    Given: 1,101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlicht View Post
    But so have Swiss and Austrians as well. Still the vast majority is light pigmented and Alpine, Dinarid or even Keltic Nordic looking
    Yes of course. Mine was obviously a provocation for the OP who thinks that Carla Bruni is a typical North Italian.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

"We" don't.