Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 318

7 Not allowed!

Default European Heroes Of The Struggle Against Turks

Post about famous or less known European heroes fighting the horde. A moderator make the thread sticky please.
    5 Stages of Grief:

Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening." Maniot is on top of me.
    Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair?!" (either referring to God, oneself, or Maniot perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")
    Bargaining: "Just let me stay to post another day Maniot, please."
    Depression: "I'm so sad, why are you picking on me Maniot?"
    Acceptance: "It's going to be OK." There is always Skadi.

Last Online
    08-10-2022 @ 10:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Default i go first...

János Hunyadi
    "Hammer of the Turks"

János Hunyadi was born in around 1387. Not much is known about Hunyadi's early life. Initially he was a knight at the court of king Sigismund and, together with his brother Jován, Hunyadi served the king commanding a force of 300 soldiers. He become immensely rich and raised himself from the ranks of the lesser nobility into those of the aristocratic elite. Eventually, thanks to his outstanding personal qualities, he become the most powerful man in the country.

During the 13th and 14th centuries, large numbers of Vlachs, Serbs, Germans and other peoples settled in the country's uninhabited regions. They lived under serfdom, with the head of a family receiving 40 "holds" (1 hold = 1x42 English acres) of land and their leaders 80 holds, which they were free to dispose of as they wished. The leaders, of these settlers were freemen and as time went by most of them rose to the ranks of the Hungarian nobility. This was the case with a Vlach called Serbe, who had settled in Transylvania in the county of Hunyad. Serbe was János Hunyadi's grandfather and since he lived in Hunyad he adopted this as his surname. János Hunyadi's father Vajk became a Catholic and member, of the lesser nobility, indeed he was actually a courtier and in time of war, at the head to battle.

János Hunyadi's great series of victories against the Turks began in 1441 when he became vojvode of Transylvania and mobilised the military forces there in a successful defence of the region. In 1441 he attacked the forces of the bey Ishak, who had invaded Serbia. Following a minor defeat, in 1442 Hunyadi won another decisive victory and in September of the same year he destroyed the forces of the ottoman Turks.

This series of victories, the news of which resounded throughout Europe, encouraged the young King Ladislaus I, aided by other states, to take advantage of the Sultan's embroilment in Asia and begin a campaign against him. In the autamn of 1443 an army almost 35.OOO strong, made up of Hungarians, Poles, Bosnians and Serbs, marched through Serbia into Bulgaria. The vanguard of this army, which was led by János Hunyadi and Miklós Újlaki, inflicted defeats on the different parts of the Turkish army one after the other. The united forces of the royal army then decisively defeated the Turks in Moravia. The way was now clear as far as the Balkan Mountains. However, the Sultan's forces fiercely defended the Zlatica Pass, and finally in the bitter cold of winter the royal army was forced to turn back. Hunyadi had the task of covering the withdrawal and defeated the emboldened Turkish forces on a further two occasions.

The Sultan Murad II was surprised by this turn of events and offered such favourable peace terms that it was impossible to reject them. This peace settlement was also advantageous for the Serb prince György Brankovics, for by the terms of the agreement the Sultan promised to restore his lands to him. The Hungarians signed this peace but had previously vowed to continue fighting. They were encouraged to do this by the papal representative Cardinal Cesarini, who promised that a Christian army would close the Bosporus making it a relatively easy matter to defeat the smaller Ottoman forces, who were occupying the European side, reaving the Balkans once more in the hands of the Christians. This plan was very tempting and neither Hunyadi nor the King could resist taking part. After signing the peace agreement the Sultan fulfilled all its terms and returned a whole series of Serb castles to Brankovics. The Serb prince was taken aback by the deception practised by the Hungarians and realised it could bring about his downfall. In consequence, not only did Brankovics not participate in the campaign but he also refused to allow the royal armies to march through his lands. At the Bosporus, however, it was not a Christian army that awaited them but the Sultan. The allied fleet had not been able to blockade the Bosporus. On November 10th 1444, the day of the battle, despite facing superior Turkish forces, Hunyadi and the Hungarian army attempted the impossible. During the battle the King recklessly broke through hoping to secure a victory but he and his entourage were killed. With the death of the King the army disintegrated. The battle was lost but Hunyadi and his Knights managed to escape.

When he became viceroy Hunyadi continued to struggle with all his might against the Turks. In 1448 in a battle fought over two days. the Hungarian forces suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of the Sultan, with Hunyadi himself only escaping with great difficulty. After a number of skirmishes on July 3th 1456 Sultan Mehmed II began the siege of Nándorfehérvár the most important link in the chain of border. The Sultan's thirst for conquest was insatiable.

The greatest help was provided by Pope Calixtus III, who organised a collection of money to finance an army to do battle with the Turks. In addition the Pope also gave instructions that throughout Christendom the church bells should be rung to remind Christians that they, should pray for the relief of Nándorfehérvár and for the survival of Hungary. The custom of ringing church bells at noon, which is still abserved throughout the Catholic world today, dates from this time.

Scarcely ten days after the beginning of the siege Hunyadi arrived with his army, intent on relieving the beleagured castle. The position seemed hopeless but, nevertheless, Hunyadi and his men managed to break through the Turkish lines and enter the city, which had suffered great damage from the Turkish cannon. The Turks continued to bombard the city for another week until on July 21st the Sultan ordered his men to storm the city. During the fierce fighting the janissaries actually managed to break through and enter the city but Hunyadi and his heavy cavalry drove them out again. One of the Turks hoisted a flag on one of the walls of the city as a sign of victory but a brave knight named Titus Dugovich in an act of self-sacrifice tore the flag from the wall and plunged to his death. The Turks suffered enormous losses and were forced to withdraw to their camp. The next day the Christian forces, encouraged by this turn of events, captured a hill, from which they were able to repulse the Turks when they counterattacked. Hunyadi also came to their aid and by means of a during manoeuvre was able to seize the Turks cannon and used them to attack the flank of the Turkish army. The Turks were then seized by panic and fled in confusion.

News of this victory was greeted with fervent celebrations throughout Europe. Hunyadi, however, scarcely three weeks after his historic victory died of the plague, along with many of his Knights. Even in the last days of his life he was writing letters with the aim of recapturing Constantinople and driving out the Turks.

http://www.budpocketguide.com/Touris...ngarians16.asp
    5 Stages of Grief:

Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair?!" (either referring to God, oneself, or Maniot perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")

Last Online
    11-21-2016 @ 08:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nothing
    Ethnicity
    Empty
    Politics
    Political Atheist
    Religion
    Nothing
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkophagos View Post
    Post about famous or less known European heroes fighting the horde. A moderator make the thread sticky please.
    Hahahahah Make this thread sticky?

Last Online
    09-11-2015 @ 12:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    Roman
    Ancestry
    Pontos
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Pontid
    Politics
    Fascist/Pan-European
    Hero
    Ioannis Metaxas & Georgios Papadopoulos
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 922
    Given: 562

0 Not allowed!

I agree. This MUST be made a sticky.
    Fascist Army
    "Fascism means first of all defending your nation against the dangers that threaten it. It means the destruction of these dangers and the opening of a free way to life and glory for your nation." -Corneliu Codreanu

Kiremil, ket!
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 10:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turanian
    Ethnicity
    Turk, from Caspian Sea to Balkans! ;)
    Ancestry
    Father: Ahıska Turk+Terekeme/Qarapapaq Mother: Anatolian Turk+Balkan Turk+Some Crimean
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    I2-L68(Southern Caucasus/Caspian)
    mtDNA
    H2a3(Central Asia)
    Taxonomy
    Alföldi Turanid+Pontid+Dinarid
    Politics
    Left-wing Nationalism on a pan-Turkist, Kemalist way.
    Hero
    Atatürk, Mohammed(pbuh), Sultangaliyev, Attila, Mehmed II, Mansur Yavaş!!
    Religion
    Quranist Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 630
    Given: 301

3 Not allowed!

Some info about Janos Hunyadi:

A contemporary Hungarian historian Johannes de Thurocz, similarly flattering his king, wrote in the Chronicle of the Hungarians (Chronica Hungarorum) that the Hunyadi family was of Hunnic origin, even calling Matthias Corvinus the "Second Attila".[20]

Source : TEKE ZSUZSA: HUNYADI JÁNOS • 1407 k.–1456, 10. évfolyam (1999) 9-10. szám (93-94.) (Rubicon History Magazine, Hungarian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hunyadi

Before someone mentioning Vlad Tepes:

The dynasty was named after Basarab I, who gained the independence of Wallachia from the Kingdom of Hungary.
    Basarab I's name was originally Basarabai and lost the ending -a when it was borrowed into Romanian.
    The name is likely of Cuman or Pecheneg Turkic[1] origin and most likely meant "father ruler". Basar was the present participle of the verb "to rule", derivatives attested in both old and modern Kypchak languages. The Romanian historian Nicolae Iorga believed the second part of the name, -aba ("father"), to be an honorary title, as recognizable in many Cuman names, such as Terteroba, Arslanapa, and Ursoba.
    Basarab's father Thocomerius also bore an allegedly Cuman name, identified as Toq-tämir, a rather common Cuman and Tatar name in the 13th century. The Russian chronicles around 1295 refer to a Toktomer, a prince of the Mongol Empire present in Crimea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Basarab

Even our enemies were either Turks or Turk wannabes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabgu View Post
    There is no ethnicity called "Anatolian", and no such thing as "Anatolian Greek genes" or "Armenoid genes".. It is a political rhetoric to cause identity erosion.. Eastern Huns are considered to be the ancestors of modern day Turks and they were a hybrid of Asiatic and Caucasian, but more dominantly Caucasian.. Hun was not an ethnicity itself, but a large tribal confederative structure.. That is why Turks already had a rich genetic pool before the full conquest of Anatolia region..

Last Online
    11-21-2016 @ 08:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nothing
    Ethnicity
    Empty
    Politics
    Political Atheist
    Religion
    Nothing
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

You guys are really good trolls. Making this thread sticky is like all Greeks admitting they are Turanid.

Kiremil, ket!
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 10:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turanian
    Ethnicity
    Turk, from Caspian Sea to Balkans! ;)
    Ancestry
    Father: Ahıska Turk+Terekeme/Qarapapaq Mother: Anatolian Turk+Balkan Turk+Some Crimean
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    I2-L68(Southern Caucasus/Caspian)
    mtDNA
    H2a3(Central Asia)
    Taxonomy
    Alföldi Turanid+Pontid+Dinarid
    Politics
    Left-wing Nationalism on a pan-Turkist, Kemalist way.
    Hero
    Atatürk, Mohammed(pbuh), Sultangaliyev, Attila, Mehmed II, Mansur Yavaş!!
    Religion
    Quranist Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 630
    Given: 301

0 Not allowed!

Moved thread to history section. However I'll watch this thread with some chips and beer

I am waiting for Greek-Albanian fight and a Serbian intervention about Skandarbeg's nationality
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabgu View Post
    There is no ethnicity called "Anatolian", and no such thing as "Anatolian Greek genes" or "Armenoid genes".. It is a political rhetoric to cause identity erosion.. Eastern Huns are considered to be the ancestors of modern day Turks and they were a hybrid of Asiatic and Caucasian, but more dominantly Caucasian.. Hun was not an ethnicity itself, but a large tribal confederative structure.. That is why Turks already had a rich genetic pool before the full conquest of Anatolia region..

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Turkish idiots had to fuck with this thread, why am I not surprised? Anyway back on topic:

Ivan the Terrible

The name 'Ivan the Terrible' conjours up images of senseless cruelty and paranoia. Yet, for many in Russia, he is a national hero. Ivan appears to be a man of huge contradictions - a man of God who personally tortured his victims and beat his own son to death; a hardened despot who often behaved like a coward, asking his ally, Elizabeth I of England, for political asylum; a man who believed himself chosen to save the souls of his people, but who brutally put thousands to death in carefully orchestrated purges.

Born in 1530, Ivan was only three when he inherited the Russian throne following his father's death. At the age of seven, tragedy struck again when his mother was poisoned by nobles at court. By his early teens, he was already displaying some of his uglier traits. He would throw live animals from towers and appeared to derive pleasure from doing so.

Ivan was crowned Russia's first Tsar at the age of 17. Three weeks later he married, having chosen his bride in a national virgin competition. Virgins over the age of twelve were brought to the Kremlin to be paraded before him. He chose Anastasia, the daughter of a minor noble, and their marriage proved to be a very close one.

Ivan had huge ambitions for his new Imperial dynasty. He launched a holy war against Russia's traditional enemy - the Tartars - showing no mercy to these Muslim peoples and decimating their cultural heritage. In June 1552 Ivan personally led his newly formed army of 100,000 troops down the Volga toward Kazan, the fortified capital of khanate. Ivan besieged the Tartar stronghold in late August and waited for its surrender. He had come equipped with more than 150 heavy artillery pieces and a group of German military engineers who were experienced in reducing large fortifications. On October 11, these engineers successfully mined the fortifications, which soon brought victory to Ivan. After Ivan's victory over Kazan he received, from his troops, the second part of his name that still remains today. This name that he received is Grozny, which has been taken to mean "the terrible" or "the dread," but most accurately translated as "the awesome."

Two years later, in 1554, a second Tartar stronghold, Astrakhan, yielded to another Russian army.

Ivan's victories over Kazan and Astrakhan extended the Russian nation to the Caspian Sea in the south and to the Ural Mountains in the east, adding nearly 1,000,000 square kilometers to Ivan's realm.

Looking to further expand his empire, Ivan targeted Livonia, a small, Baltic-coast nation. Ivan started this conquest in January 1558. By May, Narva and its Baltic seaport were secured and Ivan promptly set about expanding the seaport's harbor to welcome large trading ships from Europe. With the Livonian monopoly on trade between Russia and Western Europe broken, merchants from as far away as Holland and France rushed to Narva to negotiate trade agreements with the Russians.

Ivan's conquest of Kazan and later Astrakhan and Siberia gave birth to a sixteenth century personality cult glorifying him as the Orthodox crusader. As a result, Ivan annexed two of the three Tatar states in Russia--Kazan (1552) and Astrakhan (1556)--the first non-Slavic states in the empire. Thus Russian control of the Volga River and access to the Caspian Sea. Expansion to the east, beyond the Ural Mountains, also began during this period. Before Ivan's death Russia had established itself in Siberia. In addition, trade contacts with the English, French, and Dutch were begun.
    5 Stages of Grief:

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 01:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 895
    Given: 497

2 Not allowed!

Fighting Turks is bad for your psychological health and/or your immortal soul. The story of Vlad Tepes the Dracula is well known, but the "Blood Countess" Elizabeth Bathory was the wife of a nobleman who also fought against the Turks.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Vassil Levski

Vassil Ivanov Kunchev, Levski, whom the present-day Bulgarians consider their greatest national hero of all times and epochs, was born in Karlovo, a prosperous center of craft-industry in 1837. At the age of twenty four he took the vows of a deacon. The lot in store for the young Bulgarian was obviously not the one of a monk living in resignation to the world. In 1862 he fled to Serbia and enlisted as a volunteer in the Bulgarian legion raised by Rakovski. The legion took part in the Serbo-Turkish hostilities. Between 1862-1868 Levski participated in almost all Bulgarian armed assaults against the Ottoman empire.
    Karlovo
    The revolutionary theory which took form in Vassil Levski's mind towards the end of the 60s, turned out to be a leap forward for the Bulgarian liberation movement. Levski viewed the national liberation revolution as a concomitant armed upheaval of the whole Bulgarian population in the Ottoman empire. It followed that this uprising had to be well-prepared in advance, with all adequate military training and proper coordination on the part of an internal revolutionary organization branching out into committees in each living area. That organization was supposed to operate independent from the plans or the political combinations of any foreign powers which, as known by previous experience, had brought only trouble and failure to the national revolutionary cause.

Levski also determined the future form of government in liberated Bulgaria - a democratic republic, standing on the principles of the Human and Citizen Rights Charter of the Great French Levski as a legionnaireRevolution. That was the only document hitherto known to guarantee the individual freedom of expression, speech, and association. In their essence Levski's ideas tallied with the most radical ideas of the European bourgeois-democratic revolution.

In more practical terms, in 1869 Levski addressed himself to the task of setting up local committees. By the middle of 1872 he had scoured the Bulgarian lands with the dedication of an apostle, and succeeded in establishing a strong network of committees in hundreds of Bulgarian towns and villages which were in constant contact with and subordination to the clandestine government in the town of Lovech. They provided weapons, organized combat detachments, and got traitors and Turkish officials punished.

In May 1872, the Bulgarian Revolutionary Central Committee and the Internal Revolutionary Organization, convinced that a coordination of the efforts would be for the general good, merged into one organization. Revolutionary uplift overwhelmed the whole country.

This enthusiasm was short-lived as only a few months on, in the autumn of that year, during a robbery of a Turkish post-office meant to procure money for weapons, the Turkish police picked up the trail of some committees in northeast Bulgaria including the organization headquarters in Lovech. Numerous arrests of revolutionaries followed, threatening the organization to fall through. Karavelov demanded that Levski should immediately rise the Bulgarians in revolt. Levski, who was in Bulgaria at that time and was well-aware that the Levski's capturepopulation was yet unprepared, refused to fulfill the order and tried to take into his charge all documentation belonging to the organization - a safety precaution against its getting into Turkish hand, which could destroy the movement completely. Unfortunately, he himself fell in the hands of the Turkish authorities who put him on trial and sentenced him to death by hanging. Levski was sent to the gallows in Sofia in February 1873. The death of Vassil Levski - a generally recognized leader of the national revolutionary movement, caused temporary crisis. The Bulgarian Revolutionary Central Committee was groping for new ways and means. A number of revolutionaries undertook actions without coordinating them with the underground headquarters, while others sank into apathy.
    5 Stages of Grief:

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information