Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 75

2 Not allowed!

''There are two merits that glorify a person. For a man, to be courageous, and for a woman, to be virtuous. Besides these two, there is another merit that glorifies both man and woman. So much loving the homeland to be ready to sacrifice his life if needed. Turks are such courageous and virtuous people. That is why you can kill a Turk but you can never defeat them.''

Napoleon Bonaparte

Ch. VII: On War, Napoleon: In His Own Words (1916) edited by Jules Bertaut, as translated by Herbert Edward Law and Charles Lincoln Rhodes

Last Online
    08-10-2022 @ 10:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 965
    Given: 318

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagnificent View Post
    ''There are two merits that glorify a person. For a man, to be courageous, and for a woman, to be virtuous. Besides these two, there is another merit that glorifies both man and woman. So much loving the homeland to be ready to sacrifice his life if needed. Turks are such courageous and virtuous people. That is why you can kill a Turk but you can never defeat them.''

Napoleon Bonaparte

Ch. VII: On War, Napoleon : In His Own Words (1916) edited by Jules Bertaut, as translated by Herbert Edward Law and Charles Lincoln Rhodes

5 Stages of Grief:

Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening." Maniot is on top of me.
    Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair?!" (either referring to God, oneself, or Maniot perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")
    Bargaining: "Just let me stay to post another day Maniot, please."
    Depression: "I'm so sad, why are you picking on me Maniot?"
    Acceptance: "It's going to be OK." There is always Skadi.

Kretschmonaut Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-22-2018 @ 10:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    българин
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Discordianism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,090
    Given: 4,184

0 Not allowed!

Good thread! Subscribing.

Last Online
    12-23-2013 @ 08:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Faroese
    Ancestry
    Golden Horde, Ilkhanate, White Horde
    Country
    Faroes
    Region
    Sami People
    Y-DNA
    C-M217 Faroese (acctualy I dont know)
    Taxonomy
    Tungid/North Sinid (Balto-Alpinoid/West Baltid-Borreby/Dinaroid by SNPA, but I know better)
    Politics
    Anything Grand Khan wants
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,030
    Given: 1,893

0 Not allowed!

Lol, I could make this really full, but first to see Morski's contribution.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    Good thread! Subscribing.
    Don't you just subscribe. Contribute with bulgarian heroes.

Lord Byron

By 1823 Byron had grown bored with his life in Genoa with his paramour, Countess Guiccioli. When the representatives of the movement for Greek independence from the Ottoman Empire contacted him to ask for his support, he immediately accepted, placing his fortune, enthusiasm, energy, and imagination at the service of the Greek cause.

On July 16, Byron left Genoa on the Hercules, arriving at Kefalonia in the Ionian Islands on August 2. He spent Ł4000 of his own money to refit the Greek fleet, then sailed for Messolonghi in western Greece, arriving on December 29 to join Prince Alexandros Mavrokordatos, leader of the Greek rebel forces. In Kefalonia he met a Greek boy, Loukas Khalandritsanos, whom he employed as a page and with whom he developed an emotional, and possibly a sexual, relationship.

Mavrokordatos and Byron planned to attack the Turkish-held fortress of Lepanto, at the mouth of the Gulf of Corinth. Byron employed a fire-master to prepare artillery and took part of the rebel army under his own command and pay, despite his lack of military experience. But before the expedition could sail, on February 15, 1824, he fell ill, and the usual remedy of bleeding weakened him further. He made a partial recovery, but in early April he caught a violent cold which the bleeding -- insisted on by his doctors -- aggravated. The cold became a violent fever, and he died on April 19.

The Greeks mourned Lord Byron deeply, and he became a national hero (Viron, the Greek form of "Byron", continues in popularity as a boy's name in Greece). His body was embalmed and his heart buried under a tree in Messolonghi. His remains were sent to England and, refused burial in Westminster Abbey, were buried at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Hucknall, Nottingham. At her request, Ada, the child he never knew, was buried next to him.

In later years, the Abbey allowed a duplicate of a marble slab given by the King of Greece, which is laid directly above Byron's grave. In 1969, 145 years after Byron's death, a memorial to him was finally placed in Westminster Abbey.

Upon his death, the baronage passed to a cousin, George Anson Byron (1789–1868), a career military officer and Byron's polar opposite in temperament and lifestyle
    5 Stages of Grief:

Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair?!" (either referring to God, oneself, or Maniot perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")

Finnish nationalist
    Last Online
    02-21-2018 @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Ancestry
    Häme
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878)

Finns also fighting against turkie

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-02-2022 @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    North Sea
    Country
    China
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,289
    Given: 6,248

0 Not allowed!

Lodewijk Sigismund Vincent Gustaaf van Heiden

Login Heiden was a Dutch Admiral who commanded a squadron of the Imperial Russian Navy in the Battle of Navarino.

Born in Zuidlaren, in the north east of the Netherlands, van Heiden was the second son of Imperial Count Sigismund Pieter Alexander van Heiden, Lord of Reinestein and Laarwoud, Drost of Drenthe, and Baroness Marie Frederique van Reede. He is the only Dutch naval hero to have come from the landlocked province of Drenthe.
    Count Lodewijk van Heiden married Anne-Marie Akeleye, daughter of Captain Johannes Akeleye, a Danish-born sea officer in Russian service. They had four children, including their younger son count Frederick Heiden, the future Governor-General of the Grand Duchy of Finland.

Lodewijk van Heiden joined the Dutch Navy at the age of nine, and was promoted to Lieutenant-at-sea at sixteen. He made several journeys to the Dutch overseas territories during his six years in active duty. He remained a faithful Orangeist and accompanied Stadtholder William V on his flight from Scheveningen to England. Upon his return to the Netherlands he was captured and locked up in the ill-reputed Gevangenpoort prison in The Hague. Despite being questioned harshly several times he always refused to give any details on William's passage. He was set free after two months on the initiative of the French general Pichegru. He then resigned his commission and returned to Zuidlaren.

In 1795, van Heiden, or Geiden, as he became known in Russia, offered his services to the Russian Emperor. He was appointed Captain-Lieutenant at sea at only twenty-two, and quickly rose through the ranks. He operated in the Black Sea until 1803; during that period, he was promoted to Captain at sea 2nd class. After marrying van Heiden settled in Estonia, then one of the Russian Baltic provinces.
    In 1808, van Heiden was promoted to Captain 1st class and was awarded command of the Russian flotilla in Viborg in the 1808-09 war against Sweden following Russia's alliance with Napoleon after the treaty at Tilsit in 1807. He defeated a Swedish galley fleet in the Battle off Sandöström together with Lieutenant-Commander Pyotr Dodt. The Swedish flotilla retreated to Aland whereas the Swedish and British high sea fleets continued to control the Baltic Sea. Afterwards, van Heiden was made Squadron commander in the Grand Duchy of Finland.

In 1826, Geiden was given command of the Russian fleet in the Mediterranean (with Mikhail Lazarev as deputy). On 27 October 1827 he was the commander of the Russian squadron in the Battle of Navarino against the Turks during the Greek War of Independence - one of the most important sea battles of that war. It ended with the defeat of the Turko-Egyptian fleet and the destruction of the feared artillery at the fortress of Navarino. Geiden narrowly escaped death when the quarter-deck where he was standing was shattered by a cannonball. The victory meant promotion to Vice-Admiral and several more decorations. His international prestige grew: the Greeks considered him their redeemer from the Turks. In Athens one of the roads to Victoria Square is named after van Heiden. There is also a statue, and in 1927 his portrait was on a Greek stamp.

At the height of his fame, respected everywhere and by everyone, decorated with numerous European medals, he was summoned by the Tsar to become military governor of Kronstadt (on the Island of Kotlin in the Gulf of Finland between Estonia and Saint Petersburg) and Reval (Tallinn, then and now capital of Estonia). The population loved him and, as the Greeks did, called him Bebu (Father).

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    Maniot
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Stevan Sindjelic

At the beginning of the 19th century the crucial thing for the renewal of the Serbian state was the liberation of Nis from the Turks. The Serbian leader Karadjordje, in his talks with the representatives of Russia, as well as in his talks with Napoleon and the Turks, pointed out that Nis had to belong to Serbia. The Serbian insurrection army headed towards Nis in order to take it and go ahead towards Old Serbia and Kosovo. Karadjordje's suggestion was to use the whole army to liberate Nis, while the rest of the commanders demanded to attack Nis from four different points. The latter was accepted. On April 27, 1809, the Serbian insurrection army with its 16,000 soldiers approached the villages of Kamenica, Gornji and Donji Matejevac, near the town of Nis with Miloje Petrovic as Commander-in-chief. The Serbian soldiers made six trenches. The first and biggest was on Cegar Hill with voivoda Stevan Sindjelic at the head. The second one was in the village Gornji Matejevac (near the newly rebuilt Latin Church) with Petar Dobrnjac as the commander. The third trench was north-east to Kamenica, with voivoda Ilija Barjaktarevic. The fourth trench was in Kamenica with Miloje Petrovic as the chief commander. The fifth trench was in the mountain above Kamenica and under the control of voivoda Pauljo Matejic, while the sixth one was made in Donji Matejevac. Miloje Petrovic's request to attack Nis directly was not accepted. The demand was to wait and to besiege the town. Meanwhile the Turkish army was reinforced with 20,000 soldiers from Adrianople, Thessalonica, Vranje and Leskovac.

The Turks attacked the trench of Petar Dobrnjac on 30 May. The following day, on May 31, 1809, the most prominent trench on Cegar Hill, under the command of Stevan Sindjelic, got attacked. The battle lasted the whole day. As Milovan Kukic witnessed, "the Turks attacked five times, and the Serbs managed to repulse them five times. Each time their losses were great. Some of the Turks attacked, and some of them went ahead, and thus when they attacked for the sixth time they filled the trenches with their dead so that the alive went over their dead bodies and they began to fight against the Serbs with their rifles, cutting and sticking in their enemies with their sabers and knives. The Serbian soldiers from other trenches cried out to help Stevan. But there was no help," as Milovan Kukic said, "either because they could not help without their cavalry, or because Miloje Petrovic did not allow it. Anyway, when Stevan Sindjelic saw that the Turks had took over the trench, he ran to the powder cave, took out his gun and fired the powder magazine. The explosion was so strong that all the surrounding was shaken, and the whole trench caught in a cloud of dense smoke. Stevan Sindjelic who up to that moment had reached everywhere, helping and encouraging everybody went into the air." Three thousands Serbian soldiers and more than double of that on the Turkish side were killed on Cegar Hill.

At the end of the summer 1809, after the battle on Cegar Hill, the skulls of the killed Serbian soldiers were built in a tower, Skull Tower, on the way to Constantinople. It was done by order of Turkish pasha Hurshid, the brutal Turkish commander of the town of Nis at that time. Rectangular in its base, 3 meters high, Skull Tower was built out of 952 skulls of the Serbian heroes as a warning to the Serbian people. In 1833, on his way back from Constatinople, French poet Alphonse de Lamartine stopped for a moment in front of Skull Tower. He was shocked at the sight of it and wrote down in his book, later published as his travel accounts Journey to the East, the famous words: "My eyes and my heart greeted the remains of those brave men whose cut off heads made the corner stone of the independence of their homeland. May the Serbs keep this monument! It will always teach their children the value of the independence of a people, showing them the real price their fathers had to pay for it." In 1892, a chapel was built over the skulls which now protects 58 skulls left. Skull Tower represents a unique monument of this kind in the world, and it faithfully depicts the true nature of the Turkish crimes against the Serbian people.

The place where Battle on Cegar Hill had happened was first marked on July 4, 1878 with the following inscription: "To voivoda Stevan Sindjelic and his undead heroes who lost their lives on May 19, 1809, in their attack on Nis. Knez Milan M. Obrenovic IV and his brave soldiers redeemed them on December 27, 1877 by conquering Nis." Today's monument in the shape of a tower - a symbol of the soldiers' fortification - was erected for the fiftieth anniversary of the liberation of Nis from the Turks, on June 1, 1927. In 1938 a bronze bust of Stevan Sindjelic was positioned in the semi-circle niche of the monument.
    5 Stages of Grief:

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-02-2022 @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    North Sea
    Country
    China
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,289
    Given: 6,248

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shoot_oneself_in_the_foot

Actually, I know better parts in Dutch history:

Since you're half-Polish(and for sure someone will mention Sobieski):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonezköy

I'd not attack people who saved my forefathers from both sides
    This topic is called European Heroes of The struggle Against Turks. What you post is irrelevant and offtopic. I am glad that a dutch admiral helped the greeks.

''I'd not attack people who saved my forefathers from both sides.'' What do you mean?

Kiremil, ket!
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 10:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Turanian
    Ethnicity
    Turk, from Caspian Sea to Balkans! ;)
    Ancestry
    Father: Ahıska Turk+Terekeme/Qarapapaq Mother: Anatolian Turk+Balkan Turk+Some Crimean
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    I2-L68(Southern Caucasus/Caspian)
    mtDNA
    H2a3(Central Asia)
    Taxonomy
    Alföldi Turanid+Pontid+Dinarid
    Politics
    Left-wing Nationalism on a pan-Turkist, Kemalist way.
    Hero
    Atatürk, Mohammed(pbuh), Sultangaliyev, Attila, Mehmed II, Mansur Yavaş!!
    Religion
    Quranist Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 630
    Given: 301

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hevo View Post
    ''I'd not attack people who saved my forefathers from both sides.'' What do you mean?
    Alliance with Ottoman Empire was beneficial for Dutch Kingdom, since we kept Spaniards busy. On the other hand, while whole World was watching, Ottomans were supporting Polish freedom fighters against Muscowites and Njemacs. I do not think one Dutch who was already serving Russia instead of his own country changes the historical truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabgu View Post
    There is no ethnicity called "Anatolian", and no such thing as "Anatolian Greek genes" or "Armenoid genes".. It is a political rhetoric to cause identity erosion.. Eastern Huns are considered to be the ancestors of modern day Turks and they were a hybrid of Asiatic and Caucasian, but more dominantly Caucasian.. Hun was not an ethnicity itself, but a large tribal confederative structure.. That is why Turks already had a rich genetic pool before the full conquest of Anatolia region..

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information