PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Reasons for "extreme" East European nationalism here on TA and elsewhere
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons for "extreme" East European nationalism here on TA and elsewhere

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Russian, Jew, Polish, Serbian, Yakut, Finn.
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,877
    Given: 3,578

1 Not allowed!

Default Reasons for "extreme" East European nationalism here on TA and elsewhere

I got this answer from a member in another topic and made me think, here is what SILNI wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by SILNI View Post
    You don't believe that there patriotism left in slavs , do you? I can assure you that you are mistaken. Nationalism is on the rise in every slavic country. In fact slavic countries are strongholds of nationalism in europe nowdays. Economy is bad I admit , but we do not lack radicalism , nationalism and what is most important hatred toward enemy. Do not deceive yourself. Slavs are not West. We are not dead yet.
    The way I see it: nationalism (not to be confused with patriotism) is a trait which is typical for mostly poor people (in this cases countries, since clearly all East European countries are poor, let's not fool ourselves here). In my opinion nationalism is a psychological defense mechanism against the reality, in this case reality being that Eastern Europe is WAY less developed than Western Europe. In this particular answer nationalism being a defense mechanism is particularly obvious in the last sentence "Slavs are not West, we are not dead yet".

So what's the reason for East European nationalism, is it really self deceit ? "we are poor, we are way less developed, but if we keep telling each how great we all are, we will feel better about ourselves despite of our countries being underdeveloped and poor" ?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-17-2023 @ 08:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Maltese
    Country
    Malta
    Religion
    Zen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 6,583

0 Not allowed!

Nationalism will keep most East Euro countries protected from multiculturalism.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Malta1066Falzon View Post
    Nationalism will keep most East Euro countries protected from multiculturalism.
    No it wont, Russia is not really poor thanks to the oil bubble, and despite the nationalism it's being overran by central Asians.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-04-2023 @ 05:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 959
    Given: 1,498

0 Not allowed!

Well the Germans and the Austrians here are also big time nationalists, so I fail to see the causality between being poor and being a nationalist.

It just takes different forms in Western and Eastern Europe, maybe.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Permafrost View Post
    Well the Germans and the Austrians here are also big time nationalists, so I fail to see the causality between being poor and being a nationalist.

It just takes different forms in Western and Eastern Europe, maybe.
    Most Germans and Austrians nationalists are delinquents, while Eastern Europeans seen here are typical East Europeans.

And it is a matter of poverty: look at the collapse of Greece and it's fascist party's sudden rise, look at poverty Germany after world war 2 and the rise of nationalism.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-17-2023 @ 08:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Maltese
    Country
    Malta
    Religion
    Zen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 6,583

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Acquisitor View Post
    No it wont, Russia is not really poor thanks to the oil bubble, and despite the nationalism it's being overran by central Asians.
    Underline 'most'. Russia is huge, it aint easy to keep such a border under control.

Last Online
    11-21-2013 @ 03:44 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Fallen Aryan
    Ethnicity
    Mediterranean
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

I got this answer from a member in another topic and made me think, here is what SILNI wrote:

The way I see it: nationalism (not to be confused with patriotism) is a trait which is typical for mostly poor people (in this cases countries, since clearly all East European countries are poor, let's not fool ourselves here). In my opinion nationalism is a psychological defense mechanism against the reality, in this case reality being that Eastern Europe is WAY less developed than Western Europe. In this particular answer nationalism being a defense mechanism is particularly obvious in the last sentence "Slavs are not West, we are not dead yet".

So what's the reason for East European nationalism, is it really self deceit ? "we are poor, we are way less developed, but if we keep telling each how great we all are, we will feel better about ourselves despite of our countries being underdeveloped and poor" ?
    Yes you are right, they have to learn how to be more cosmopolitans
    Like Israel for example.
    Wait, there is something wrong here .

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    03-25-2024 @ 10:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    American-
    Ancestry
    Anglo/Slavic
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,406
    Given: 1,560

0 Not allowed!

Yeah we can be as nationalist as we want because unlike jews we actually have our own nation(s).

Last Online
    03-26-2014 @ 10:03 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Sea Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English-American
    Ancestry
    Our Mother the Mountain.
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b1-Disles
    mtDNA
    U5a2
    Politics
    Ethnonationalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 55

0 Not allowed!

There are more poor nationalist than rich because there are more poor people than rich. Also rich people are probably more likely to push globalism as a means of increasing their own wealth. It is nothing to be proud of when you have sold your own people out to make a buck.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Belgium
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nihtgenga View Post
    There are more poor nationalist than rich because there are more poor people than rich. Also rich people are probably more likely to push globalism as a means of increasing their own wealth. It is nothing to be proud of when you have sold your own people out to make a buck.
    I think there is also a hidden inferiority complex involved, since subconsciously people understand that their country's poverty is the fault of their nations.

I know quite many Belgians irl, and not a single one is a nationalist, (sure there must be some but I dont know any).

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information