Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are most of the people attracted to similar looking or the is the opposite?

Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aztec
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Y-DNA
    WTF!!!
    mtDNA
    WTF!!!
    Taxonomy
    Depijmented indijena
    Religion
    Hail Satanas
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,313
    Given: 1,960

1 Not allowed!

Default Are most of the people attracted to similar looking or the is the opposite?

Well, I'd like to know your opinion since many of you have been debating about this topic. Do you find normal or weird that you're attracted to people who is physically different to you?

I've found a study which demonstrates that we're attracted to those who resemble our parents, is it true? or what do you think about that?

Study demonstrates sexual attraction to those who resemble our parents, ourselves

(PhysOrg.com) -- Researchers reporting in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin last week say people are drawn to others who resemble their parents or themselves. This may explain why incest taboos are found in many cultures - to counter a natural tendency.

University of Illinois psychologist, Chris Fraley, said there had been a century-long debate on whether incest taboos are psychological or cultural adaptations designed to suppress a biological urge. In the early 20th century Sigmund Freud, a psychoanalyst, proposed it was psychological, while Edward Westermarck, a sociologist, proposed it was cultural. Westermarck thought there was a critical time in childhood during which people would not find attractive people who were raising them or raised with them.

Most modern researchers think Westermarck was correct, but a new study led by Fraley suggests there may also be a psychological component in which we align ourselves with our kin, who are genetically close to us.

The research involved three experiments. In the first, volunteers were shown pictures of strangers’ faces and asked to rate them on sexual attractiveness. They were unaware that they were also being shown photographs just before the strangers’ faces, and these were flashed so quickly they could only be processed subliminally. Half the volunteers were flashed a picture of their opposite gender parent, while the remaining subjects were flashed a picture of an unrelated person.

The results of this experiment were that those who were exposed to a picture of their parent generally found the stranger's face more sexually attractive than those who were shown the photo of an unrelated person. A second experiment used images of two faces morphed together. The control group was shown images of faces of strangers morphed together, but the other subjects were shown faces that were composites of a stranger's face and (unknowingly) up to 45% their own face. They then rated the sexual attractiveness of the morph.

In this experiment the subjects shown images containing their own face found the picture more sexually attractive.

In the final experiment the volunteers were again shown composite pictures, and half were told the composites included their own faces, while the rest were not. In fact none of the composites contained the subjects’ faces. They were again asked to rate their sexual attractiveness.

The results showed the subjects who believed the composites contained their own image rated it as less sexually attractive than those who did not.

Fraley said all the experiments support Freud’s argument that we are subconsciously attracted to features reminiscent of our own, and cultural aversions to incest were developed to override the “primitive drive.” So when we are aware of the relationship we are not sexually attracted, but when the awareness is bypassed we are in fact more sexually attracted to our kin.

Another explanation for the results is that our brains can simply process familiar images more easily, and Fraley said further experiments are needed to test this idea.

More information: Westermarck, Freud, and the Incest Taboo: Does Familial Resemblance Activate Sexual Attraction? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. Published online before print July 20, 2010, doi:10.1177/0146167210377180 © 2010 PhysOrg.com

Read more at: http://phys.org/news199509031.html#jCp
    Discuss

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican Coyote
    Ethnicity
    Coyote
    Ancestry
    Coyotes
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    RepublicQuebec
    Taxonomy
    wildly coyote
    Politics
    Anti-Angloism/Protestantism, Pro-Hispanism/Catholicism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 748
    Given: 2,199

0 Not allowed!

It depends. I am attracted to mestiza women, but I am also very attracted to Mediterranean women.

Matthias Corvinus
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finno Ugric
    Ethnicity
    -
    Ancestry
    Szekler, Germans
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Hero
    Matthias Corvinus, Hungaria Kapitany, Franz Joseph
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,248
    Given: 1,489

0 Not allowed!

Yeah for sure, this is an an evolutional principle, thats why you see so many blonde couples and in general
    couples who resemble each other. Humans always primarily look for their equivalent or someone who looks very close to their parents to reproduce. Only if people don`t achieve to find a partner corresponding to this anthpological rule they comfort with so. looking different.
    Prodigies appear in the oddest of places

Last Online
    02-28-2014 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    JA
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Not really idk it depends in the person . My type of guy it's like Taylor Lautner , Johnny Depp yet they don't resemble my father or any family member . Also I'm attracted to every race as long as they have a good looking face . The person who I'm with right now, he's British / French . I'm none of those
    The good life, it feel like Atlanta
    It feel like L.A., it feel like Miami
    It feel like N.Y., summertime Chi, ahh
    Now throw your hands up in the sky

Last Online
    09-23-2015 @ 07:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Ireland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 252

0 Not allowed!

opposite!!!! opposite!!! opposite!! I have a lot of Irish mates, and they are all also for the most part very intruged when they see an exotic looking beautiful brunette. They would probably be more intrigued by her rather than an Irish woman on a night out, who they are used to.

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

0 Not allowed!

There is only one rule: there are no rules! You are born with a specific taste and whatever external influences there are they are shaped early on in your childhood. There is nothing anyone can do about what they like, except for eliminating ego all together, we are talking about a handful at the most individuals who have enlightened minds anywhere on the planet at any given time, they have no preferences whatsoever.

So in conclusion two very important statements:

1)You like what you like.

2)It is what it is.

That's all there is to it. You can build a lot of very complicated theories about it, a lot of people make good living doing just that, but it boils down to the two above mentioned statements.

That's it!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-11-2013 @ 01:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 132

1 Not allowed!

Calling dr. fraud, I'm attracted to different looking people than myself, I think it's natures way of discouraging inbreeding. BTW something that sets "Europoids" apart from others is their variation, hell I don't even have the same eye color as either of my parents.

Fuhrer
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 05:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
    Ethnicity
    ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    Lord Howe Island
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,336
    Given: 685

0 Not allowed!

Similar but not "Too Similar"

Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aztec
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Country
    Mexico
    Y-DNA
    WTF!!!
    mtDNA
    WTF!!!
    Taxonomy
    Depijmented indijena
    Religion
    Hail Satanas
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,313
    Given: 1,960

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by liamliam View Post
    opposite!!!! opposite!!! opposite!! I have a lot of Irish mates, and they are all also for the most part very intruged when they see an exotic looking beautiful brunette. They would probably be more intrigued by her rather than an Irish woman on a night out, who they are used to.
    I think in Mexico happens something similar but what I've observed is that in spite of a "exotic face" might be occasionally more interesting, most of the people tend to look a person who resembles him/her when they want to have a serious relationship or they want to marry. That doesn't mean there aren't interracial relations but they're minory.

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by liamliam View Post
    Why am I not surprised? LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information