Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Patton Prayer.

I don't know where else to put this. A memorable scene from a memorable movie.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YMKpScUe8[/youtube]

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

This kind of prayer cuts across religious boundaries. People tend to forget that Jehovah is also a war God: the Lord of Hosts, which is how one of Odin's titles (Heerfather) is sometimes translated. Patton is addressing his God not as a supplicant but as, you might say, a war-chieftan seeking victory over the enemy.

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Salute, General George S Patton Jr.

Great General, talented man, fierce warrior and a good father.

My great uncle, John "Jackie" Ryan, was a sergeant in an engineering battalion that supported Patton's 3rd Army.

I had gone to the VFW club with him to apply for entry into a speech competition (I was in 10th grade). Afterward, he treated me to dinner in the barroom. He over heard a fellow WW II vet at the next table talk in a disparaging manner about General Patton. Knowing the fellow had served in a unit outside of the 3rd army, Uncle Jackie cold-cocked him. "The general may have been a son of a bitch Sam, but he was our son of a bitch." I knew my Great Uncle had a temper, but had not seen it on display before.

On the ride home, I asked Uncle Jackie what serving in the war was like. This is the only answer I ever got from him, "Stevie, we were all of us, sons of bitches. Some was worse than others, but we were all of us, whatever country, sons of bitches. I pray to God you never have to know what it's like."

I later in life found out (when reading his obituary) that Uncle Jackie had been awarded the Silver Star (twice, 3rd highest US Military Honor for Valor), Bronze Star with V (twice, 4th highest US Military Honor for Valor) and Purple Heart (thrice, combat wound), among other decorations, while supporting the 3rd Army, in combat, as an engineer. Hell, I also didn't know he had a Master's in metallurgy and was considered one of the top 5 tool and die designers in the northeastern US.

He was always just Uncle Jackie, a lovable tough, who always smelled faintly of whiskey, especially after Aunt Elsie died, but put all 6 kids through college.

When I was a military cadet in college, George S. Patton III was a trustee of the school.

He was up one day to visit his old friend, our Commandant of Cadets, who was a retired USMC Colonel. I was brought before Colonel La Fond to answer his questions about why I had 27 specifications against me before a cadet court martial. Gen Patton was sitting in on the interview because I held the school record for charges, was fuming and threatening to see that I was brought on to active duty under the terms of my ROTC contract so I could be brought before a regular military court martial. The Colonel got him calmed down; "Georgie, this is one of my boys, I'll handle it, like I did in Korea when one my boys acted up." (Which is where they met and warred together.)

I answered the charges, which were all dropped and some senior class officers lost their rank over it. General Patton took me to the senior class club for dinner that night in apology.

Two of my brushes with noble men over the course of my life thus far, one a hard-drinking Irish-American Sergeant, the other an aristocratic Virginian and flag rank officer.
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    11-08-2012 @ 08:49 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

0 Not allowed!

I remember, as a soldier, when the "bug" was praying.....we would laugh. We all knew it was an empty promise. It was a joke. Praying before combat showed you were were a pussy. None of my comrades were religious anyway. Then, again, the Triple Nickle of Fort Hood was ready to kick ass anyway...

Last Online
    04-13-2024 @ 02:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British, French, Polish, German
    Ethnicity
    85% NW, 15% E, 100% European
    Ancestry
    Paradis, Bembenek Stewart, Traylor Traced to 720 BC
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Y-DNA
    Possibly RM269 (R1b)
    mtDNA
    X2
    Taxonomy
    Atlandid, Dinarid
    Politics
    The Kingdom of God
    Hero
    The Son of God
    Religion
    The Way
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 246

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
    I remember, as a soldier, when the "bug" was praying.....we would laugh. We all knew it was an empty promise. It was a joke. Praying before combat showed you were were a pussy. None of my comrades were religious anyway. Then, again, the Triple Nickle of Fort Hood was ready to kick ass anyway...
    Then the ones who didn't pray were also cowards because they were afraid to look like cowards by praying and/or had no plan past the life they were about to lose?
    "Virtue grows stronger at the wound"
    "There is safety in discrimination"
    "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the 12 tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting." James 1:1

Thread Information