View Poll Results: Should We Judge Others?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is perfectly normal & in the best interests of society to judge others.

21 61.76%
  • No, it is intrusive & hyprocritical to judge others.

9 26.47%
  • I have no opinion, I'm apathetical.

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Judging Others

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Judging Others

Inspired by comments in this thread. Is it ok to make judgements about the way others lead their lives? And to voice those opinions? Or is it wrong to make judgements about how others lead their lives?
    Last edited by Æmeric; 08-24-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Corrected link.

Last Online
    08-27-2009 @ 08:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Austrian
    Country
    Austria
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Judging is normal and natural. Everyone who says they don't do it are lying to themselves, because ther is a subject everyone is sensible about.

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by St Matthew, Chapter 7
    1 Judge not, that you may not be judged, 2 For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    Aug.: Since when these temporal things are provided beforehand against the future, it is uncertain with what purpose it is done, as it may be with a single or double mind, He opportunely subjoins, “Judge not.”

Pseudo-Chrys.: Otherwise; He has drawn out thus far the consequences of his injunctions of almsgiving; He now takes up those respecting prayer. And this doctrine is in a sort of continuation of that of the prayer; as though it should run, “Forgive us our debts,” and then should follow, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.”

Jerome: But if He forbids us to judge, how then does Paul judge the Corinthian who had committed uncleanness? Or Peter convict Ananias and Sapphira of falsehood?

Pseudo-Chrys.: But some explain this place after a sense, as though the Lord did not herein forbid Christians to reprove others out of good will, but only intended that Christians should not despise Christians by making a show of their own righteousness, hating others often on suspicion alone, condemning them, and pursuing private grudges under the show of piety.

Chrys.: Wherefore He does not say, ‘Do not cause a sinner to cease,’ but do not judge; that is, be not a bitter judge; correct him indeed, but not as an enemy seeking revenge, but as a physician applying a remedy.

Pseudo-Chrys.: But that not even thus should Christians correct Christians is shewn by that expression, “Judge not.” [p. 265]

But if they do not thus correct, shall they therefore obtain forgiveness of their sins, because it is said, “and ye shall not be judged?” For who obtains forgiveness of a former sin, by not adding another thereto? This we have said, desiring to shew that this is not here spoken concerning not judging our neighbour who shall sin against God, but who may sin against ourselves. For whoso does not judge his neighbour who has sinned against him, him shall not God judge for his sin, but will forgive him his debt even as he forgave.

Chrys.: Otherwise; He does not forbid us to judge all sin absolutely, but lays this prohibition on such as are themselves full of great evils, and judge others for very small evils. In like manner Paul does not absolutely forbid to judge those that sin, but finds fault with disciples that judged their teacher, and instructs us not to judge those that are above us.

Hilary: Otherwise; He forbids us to judge God touching His promises; for as judgements among men are founded on things uncertain, so this judgment against God is drawn from somewhat that is doubtful. And He therefore would have us put away the custom from us altogether; for it is not here as in other cases where it is sin to have given a false judgment; but here we have begun to sin if we have pronounced any judgment at all.

Aug., Serm. in Mont., ii, 18: I suppose the command here to be no other than that we should always put the best interpretation on such actions as seem doubtful with what mind they were done. But concerning such as cannot be done with good purpose, as adulteries, blasphemies, and the like, He permits us to judge; but of indifferent actions which admit of being done with either good or bad purpose, it is rash to judge, but especially so to condemn.

There are two cases in which we should be particularly on our guard against hasty judgments, when it does not appear with what mind the action was done; and when it does not yet appear, what sort of man any one may turn out, who now seems either good or bad. Wherefore he should neither blame those things of which we know with what mind they are done, nor so blame those things which are manifest, as though we despaired of recovery.

Here one may think there is difficulty is what follows, “With what judgment ye judge ye shall be judged.” [p. 266] If we judge a hasty judgment, will God also judge us with the like? Or if we have measured with a false measure, is there with God a false measure whence it may be measured to us again? For by measure I suppose is here meant judgment. Surely this is only said, that the haste in which you punish another shall be itself your punishment. For injustice often does no harm to him who suffers the wrong; but must always hurt him who does the wrong.

Aug., City of God, xxi, 11: Some say, How is it true that Christ says, “And with what measure ye shall mete it shall be measured to you again,” if temporal sin is to be punished by eternal suffering? They do not observe that it is not said “the same measure,” because of the equal space of time, but because of the equal retribution - namely, that he who has done evil should suffer evil, though even in that sense it might be said of that of which the Lord spoke here, namely of judgments and condemnations. Accordingly, he that judges and condemns unjustly, if he is judged and condemned, justly receives in the same measure though not the same thing that he gave; by judgment he did what was unjust, by judgment he suffers what is just.
    From the commentaries on the New Testament compiled by St Thomas Aquinas !

Regards,
    Eóin.
    [Signature Pending]

Everything is Beautiful WinterMoon's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-19-2010 @ 03:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

0 Not allowed!

We all judge. It is in our nature. Even if we are not aware of it, we all make snap judgements about people and situations all the time.

I also think it is only natural for us to see a contradiction and file it away for future reference. Some are just more verbal about pointing out these things out.

I do think that correcting another could be done privately, as I do not believe it is our duty to publicly point out the sins of another.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

The nonsense of the literalist Christians about not judging others is hypocritical. For the first few decades of its existence, literalist Christians judged the Jews and Judaizers, Gnostics and Pagans. In the words of Celsus, a Pagan neo-Platonic philosopher:

"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each other. They slander each other constantly with the vilest forms of abuse and cannot come to any sort of agreement in their teaching. Each sect brands its own, fills the head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect little pigs of those it wins over to its side."

Sadly, this quote comes from a book by Origen, the Against Celsus, which reproduces large tracts of Celsus' own True Word. What happened to True Word? Well, all copies of it were judged works of the Devil by literalist Christians and tossed into the bonfires of Christly love. AWESOME!
    Last edited by Cato; 08-24-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Last Online
    05-15-2014 @ 10:49 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavo-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Polish/Anglo-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Michigan
    Politics
    Imperialismo Pagano
    Religion
    Hyperborea or Oblivion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Judgments are inevitable. Rejection of judgment is rejection of value.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split."

-Robert E. Howard

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

I can criticize, tease, insult and so on, but no mortal can judge.
    It's normal not to like someone's way of live, appearance, ideas, personality and to start arguing/making arguments against that person. But judging...It's too strong word we often use out of place.
    P.S. These days I'm often accused of judging others. Looks most people can't bare criticism and exposing different ideas.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

It is *natural* if you may but I don't approve of it being done in an open and outright manner, especially if the judgement comes from complete strangers.

I mean, I may read or hear something and judge that person but I will keep my opinion to myself if it is a stranger, or voice my opinion directly to this person if it is a friend or relative.

Last Online
    06-27-2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

Live and let the others to live!

no judging, no criticising from me, could be hurted but I always get over.

Amor Patriae Suprema Lex Ariets's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-17-2012 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pussian
    Ethnicity
    Drunken Prussian Cat
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

I can judge or critize others or whatever, I'll not say do that, do this, change your life or something, cause personally I don't care about lives of other people much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information