Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the easiest Slavic language to learn?

Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 01:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    OxiClean
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

Typical Slavic thing, 'bragging' how their language it the hardest one to learn lol

Last Online
    06-27-2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

From this summer Montenegrin language will be different we got two new letters (voices)

Sj and Zj (don t ask me for transcription, for first one we all know how it sounds, but this second one is a pure mystery)....
    Last edited by Amarantine; 09-08-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

0 Not allowed!

I'll echo Svarog, and unsurprisingly say Russian - for those whose mother tongue is English, at least.

Our Srbski drug is quite right about the greater opportunities for practice and acquisition of necessary materials. Added to that is the great variety of materials available. I dare say that more has been translated into and from Russian than all the other Slavonic languages put together, perhaps with Polish as a distant runner up, so you can at least have fun figuring Russian out by reading your own favourite book! I actually struggled through a great deal of Egil's Saga as one of my first attempts at really getting to grips with Russky! And oddly enough, one of the last full books I read in Russian was on Suibne Geilt (Mad Sweeney), including lengthy translations from the original Old Irish sources...

The 'RuNet' is also an enormous resource in Russian's favour. There are, for istance, MILLIONS of Russian 'anekdoty' or 'jokes' out there to puzzle your head over once you've learnt the basics!

Looking at the language itself, there's a lot of things already familiar to a British eye, or at least FAR more than with the other Slavonic tongues. We know a few Russian words from history and politics, so have at least a little foothold to help us.

More importantly, the phonetics are not too impossible. I have trouble with Russian R, but then again, my English one isn't perfect! Щ and ы will present some difficulty, but far less so than anything you'll find in the northwestern Slavonic languages. No - Polish for me will never be anything other than something to read, I'm afraid...

The grammar is quite fiendish, but you'll find that for all these languages. Bulgarian is a curious exception, being more a kind of 'pidgin' almost, in so far as how it has lost the case system due to its adoption by large numbers of non-Slavs. It's a little like English in that respect.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,737
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    Bulgarian is a curious exception, being more a kind of 'pidgin' almost, in so far as how it has lost the case system due to its adoption by large numbers of non-Slavs. It's a little like English in that respect.
    I'd say that "Bulgarian" is the closest to the original tongue spoken by the first wave of Slavs in the Balkans. No offence to the Bulgars on the board but the reason why I put Bulgarian in brackets is because there was no Bulgarian nation back then, neither were there "Serbs" okay?

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    I'd say that "Bulgarian" is the closest to the original tongue spoken by the first wave of Slavs in the Balkans. No offence to the Bulgars on the board but the reason why I put Bulgarian in brackets is because there was no Bulgarian nation back then, neither were there "Serbs" okay?
    Hmm, the ethnonym Bulgarian exist hundreds of years before the Serbian one, no matter you like it or no. However, Serbs always had problems recognizing the different ethnic origin of their neighbouring nations. Guess why...

Slavs...There are no evidences of Slavic predominance here.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,737
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabiti View Post
    Guess why...
    You misunderstood me. I was talking about the languge spoken by the first wave of Slavs, before the arrival of Bulgars from Asia or Serbs from southern Poland, okay?

I can't guess, please tell me.Oh wait, you mean Macedonia? Your nation can have it but hurry!, Albanians are gaining ground.

In denial? Get your head out of the clouds. You're a Slav.
    Last edited by Guapo; 02-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Eee... I foolishly promised to answer here, but am pretty tired... So here's my rubbish post:
    I'd say that "Bulgarian" is the closest to the original tongue spoken by the first wave of Slavs in the Balkans.
    Hmmm... What do you mean, though? The language of the Slavs in Thrace at what time?

Nowadays, Slavonic languages there are possibly the furthest from that of the proto-Slavs. From a grammatical point of view, the modern day Bulgarian has lost its case system to such an extent that my eyes popped out of my head when I first read some of it! The lexica has connections with the Eastern Slavonic languages, as well as those to Bulgaria's immediate west, but a whole host of regional (Palaeo-?)Balkan features have been grafted onto it, most notably the suffix -to, that acts rather like English 'the', so far as I can tell.

The dialect spoken in Kirill and Mefodiy's day was far more in line with the rest of Slavdom in terms of its inflectional complexity and archaic phonetics, but even so it had already been subject to some changes from the Common Slavonic of the late migration period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabiti View Post
    Hmm, the ethnonym Bulgarian exist hundreds of years before the Serbian one, no matter you like it or no.
    Hmm... the Serbian one didn't appear suddenly out of the blue though! If its Sarmatian links are real, it could be just as old as 'Bulgar'. If it's Slavonic (and I favour the link with the Ukrainian term 'paserbitisya' or 'adopt', implying a fusion of tribes or the like), then it may simply have evaded record in its earlier days.
    Of course; the Romano-Thracians were just sent thousands of 'Teach Yourself Slavonic' book and cassette sets...
    The apostles of the Slavs down in Salonika spoke great Slavonic, and thought it a suitable language to use to convert the non-Greeks to the north. That must surely imply some ethnocultural predominance.
    In denial? Get your head out of the clouds. You're a Slav.
    In so far as I'm a 'Germanic', our dear Артышка is indeed a Slav. Even if most of your ancestors were already in your homeland in Alexander's day, the Bulgars have still switched language, and thereby absorbed a lot more in terms of 'mental furniture' that comes with the language.

Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 07:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Corded
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Sleswig, Silesia, Rzeczpospolita
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Schleswig
    Y-DNA
    N1c
    Taxonomy
    Robust horseface with a touch of mong
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 92

0 Not allowed!

but a whole host of regional (Palaeo-?)Balkan features have been grafted onto it, most notably the suffix -to, that acts rather like English 'the', so far as I can tell.
    It is unusual (systematically used as article), but it is not non-Slavic in origin. It evolved from common Slavic pronoun "to" ("that"), which is present in nearly all modern languages (Czech, Polish, Russian...), Lithuanian "ta", Avestan "ta" et cetera. Bulgarian was the only one to start using it as an article (and respective flexive system), but there are some rudimentary similar uses like that, for example, in Russian - "Slona-to ja i ne zametil", "Ty idiosh domoj-to?" et cetera.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    It is unusual (systematically used as article), but it is not non-Slavic in origin.
    Sure, I realise that, but isn't its appearance as so systematic a feature (barely a sentence is without it in the Bulgarian books I've flipped through) in the Balkans of all places rather a pointer to a non-Slavic impulse? The lexical element itself is Slavonic, but its habitual use is observed to be a regional thing, no? I don't know which other languages there use it, but I read once that its present in several if not all of these; Rumanian (both in 'Dacian' and the southern varieties), Albanian and Greek. COuld you put me right there?

Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 07:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Corded
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Sleswig, Silesia, Rzeczpospolita
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Schleswig
    Y-DNA
    N1c
    Taxonomy
    Robust horseface with a touch of mong
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 92

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    Sure, I realise that, but isn't its appearance as so systematic a feature (barely a sentence is without it in the Bulgarian books I've flipped through) in the Balkans of all places rather a pointer to a non-Slavic impulse? The lexical element itself is Slavonic, but its habitual use is observed to be a regional thing, no? I don't know which other languages there use it, but I read once that its present in several if not all of these; Rumanian (both in 'Dacian' and the southern varieties), Albanian and Greek. COuld you put me right there?
    Yes, postpositional article is an areal feature, most of the Balkan sprachbund members show it in some variant or another. But the articles themselves etymologically are native to respective languages.
    Last edited by Cail; 02-03-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information