Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropologique View Post
    Quite impressive.
    Yeah, it is. She's really melancholy about it a lot, though. She keeps on lamenting that she's one of the last of a dying race.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Yeah, it is. She's really melancholy about it a lot, though. She keeps on lamenting that she's one of the last of a dying race.
    Where was she born and bred?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Treffie View Post
    Where was she born and bred?
    Strait out of the Highlands. It's somewhere near Inverness, I can't remember it's name though

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

How Celtic are you?

Basically most of Western and Central Europe could call themselves Celtic if they base it on ancient history, it looses it's appeal when it becomes synonymous with 'Generic European'.

Ireland to Turkey, Scotland to Portugal, it's quite a large area.

Last Online
    12-19-2019 @ 07:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gallo-romance
    Ethnicity
    Savoy/Piedmont
    Ancestry
    Occitan/Piedmont
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Piemonte
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    How Celtic are you?
    Ireland to Turkey, Scotland to Portugal, it's quite a large area.

Well, no.

This crap of "from Ireland to Turkey" should stop. A thing is the sporadical presence of Celts on a given territory ; another one is a process ofdemographic colonization.

These days (as never happened even in the recent past), the personal genomics gives us the possibility to know with reasonable approximation our biological roots, so , at a reasonable extent, we can know (%) how celtic are we.
    If we define "celtic" as populations with high amonut of a determinate component (peaks in Ireland Cornwall, etc.) then TURKEY isn't celtic at all.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2012 @ 09:59 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    A Celto-Germanic-Manic ;)
    Ethnicity
    Thrones
    Taxonomy
    Bitch-oid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

0 Not allowed!

I'm just curious as to why she has four arms But I can't wait till I move to Inverness and "go home".
    It's a form of art. How come Inverness is your home? I thought that you said you didn't know where in Scotland your ancestors were from and then later after said that they were from Argyll (your name). I've never heard you mention anything about Inverness until I told you that I was going there in a week in the chat box not too long ago . Did my telling you this help you discover your true home and ancestral origins? Hope so

I see that you are also not "pure celtic" any longer and you have made the discovery of being "very slight germanic" as well .
    Last edited by Boudica; 10-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well, no.
    Yes.

This crap of "from Ireland to Turkey" should stop. A thing is the sporadical presence of Celts on a given territory ; another one is a process ofdemographic colonization.

These days (as never happened even in the recent past), the personal genomics gives us the possibility to know with reasonable approximation our biological roots, so , at a reasonable extent, we can know (%) how celtic are we.
    And most people use the very daft approach of equating R1b with Celts when R1b is common as muck across a huge area.
    The subclades don't come into it for most people, but on saying that it is extremely doubtful that ancient Celts would have just belonged to a few types, rather many subclades of various haplogroups.

So what exactly is this "Celtic gene" you are hinting at? The one which enables us to see the difference between say the Irish and the Normans?

If we define "celtic" as populations with high amonut of a determinate component (peaks in Ireland Cornwall, etc.) then TURKEY isn't celtic at all.
    Celtic can't be based on genetics which is the point I was hinting at, it's culture-only.
    Galatia was a Celtic region... once. Some claim they spoke Celtic until the 1500s, a similar time to when Scotland reached it's peak with the annexing of the Northern Isles.

No part of Turkey is Celtic, but if we base being Celtic on Celts having lived in a place in the past as many people appear to be doing, then we find it becomes quite ridiculous.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

'How Celtic are you?' is like asking a chicken if it's a duck. It can't tell you and wouldn't know anyway.

That best describes many people who describe themselves as Celtic, Germanic or whatever.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Boudica View Post
    It's a form of art. How come Inverness is your home? I thought that you said you didn't know where in Scotland your ancestors were from and then later after said that they were from Argyll (your name). I've never heard you mention anything about Inverness until I told you that I was going there in a week in the chat box not too long ago . Did my telling you this help you discover your true home and ancestral origins? Hope so

I see that you are also not "pure celtic" any longer and you have made the discovery of being "very slight germanic" as well .
    I DO know that my ancestors came from the Highlands. But I have felt the strongest call to Inverness for the longest time. I know it sounds stupid, but it feels as though if I were to go there and stay, I would feel exactly at home.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I DO know that my ancestors came from the Highlands. But I have felt the strongest call to Inverness for the longest time. I know it sounds stupid, but it feels as though if I were to go there and stay, I would feel exactly at home.
    Go there, stay for a week and you'll probably find that's in your imagination and you'd miss home.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information