Spaniard
    Country
    Spain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,867
    Given: 4,236

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HillY35 View Post
    I was in college for 5 years studying English as a major, and I can say I don't know what the heck you're talking about in terms of a phobia of certain speak-ways. Now, classes of people speak differently, sure... But I don't know how much of that is a result of a "phobia."
    Fobia=rejection, preference about not use those words because sound priggish.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

Probably because there isn't much need to now, and it would put English at a disadvantage.

As i said in another thread (i think it was on this forum?) English is basically a West Germanic/north German dialect with a lot of non-Germanic vocab. However the amount of non-Germanic vocab changes on who is speaking, in what situation and what they are speaking about. For example a middle-class lecturer talking about something technical or complex (perhaps even lecturing in English!) will usually use a lot more than your average Joe going to the shop to buy something or just talking to a friend about ordinary things. However the lecturer will use more Germanic words when doing more ordinary things, so there is a both a 'class' split (social background more like) and a circumstance split. I bet you I've used a ton of Latin or French words in this paragraph.

It's also worth considering that English is a bit of a mix between West Germanic and North Germanic (at least according to some who have proposed the idea over the years) and it is also possible that there is Celtic influence in the way that we speak, although i haven't yet heard that linguists have found any really solid ground with that (although it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is the case, it would make sense). All this in the second paragraph is non-lexical, and based purely on how things are spoken, rather than the words used.

But basically i think there isn't purism because there is no advantage to it, and now we have got used to having the language how it is, and so has a lot of the world.

It's pretty interesting think how different things could be on just a couple of events in the past. For example if the Danes had won out over the Normans in the 11th century here, we'd most likely be speaking a hybrid West-North Germanic language with much less French-Latin influence, although i think that the language may well have not been global in the way that it is now, or not as much.

HillY35

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Empecinado View Post
    Fobia=rejection, preference about not use those words because sound priggish.
    That's the most sense I could make out of your remarks. I think such people are rarely found in academic circles, in polite society, or in any prominent place.
    Very, very generally speaking America is not a culturally refined place, and has never championed refinement. But education survives here, and with it comes advancement. May it ever come.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In regards to some of the comments above - While i wouldn't call it a phobia, there's definitely a big difference between 'posh' speak and normal speak. It's pretty easily noticeable, especially when there is a posh person from the south vs a non posh person from elsewhere in the country.

Last Online
    07-17-2022 @ 03:58 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Français
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Ancestry
    Français
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Français
    Politics
    France
    Religion
    France
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,481
    Given: 6,982

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    It's also worth considering that English is a bit of a mix between West Germanic and North Germanic (at least according to some who have proposed the idea over the years)
    This is the key point. English was from day one a mixed language that absorbed lots of specifically Danish words and grammatical traits, which made Middle English a completely new medium, and granted it with a tremendous ability to absorb novations borrowed from other languages.

Any "purism" would aim at returning to a previous stage of development, which is a sheer impossibility, unless you want to revive a grammar that would be akin to German, Frisian or Dutch.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouistreham View Post
    This is the key point. English was from day one a mixed language that absorbed lots of specifically Danish words and grammatical traits, which made Middle English a completely new medium, and granted it with a tremendous ability to absorb novations borrowed from other languages.

Any "purism" would aim at returning to a previous stage of development, which is a sheer impossibility, unless you want to revive a grammar that would be akin to German, Frisian or Dutch.
    Well put.

Plus i think it's a good thing having these Romance words, they make the language more versatile in my opinion.

Last Online
    07-04-2015 @ 12:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 426

0 Not allowed!

Plus i think it's a good thing having these Romance words, they make the language more versatile in my opinion.
    Maybe, but it is also possible to create new words from Germanic roots.

Have you visited this page?

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Maybe, but it is also possible to create new words from Germanic roots.

Have you visited this page?
    True true. Actually yeah i've stumbled across that before, cheers for re-linking it though i haven't been to the page in a while. It's pretty interesting that.

To be honest it is could to read what English could sound like, but in terms of changing it now it's pretty unfeasible, but it's good that people are experimenting with it in that regard at least.

My Countship is not of this world Comte Arnau's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-18-2015 @ 02:38 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European (Romanic)
    Ethnicity
    Catalan
    Ancestry
    Pyrenean
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Catalunya
    Taxonomy
    W/S Europid
    Politics
    Sovereigntism
    Religion
    Cult to Pyrene
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,755
    Given: 1,407

0 Not allowed!

I'd say there's also a difference between Latinisms, which are often obvious, and those Romance words coming from Norman or French that adopted an English taste of their own. For instance, how many would identify catch - caught - caught as Romance in origin? After all, the contact with Latins and Neolatins in England has been higher through the centuries than that of other Germanic nations.
    < La Catalogne peut se passer de l'univers entier, et ses voisins ne peuvent se passer d'elle. > Voltaire

Communism Is So Bourgeois
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 07:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germano-Celto-Judean
    Ethnicity
    Scythian-Jewish, Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    Ashkenazi + Anglo-Celtic
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Y-DNA
    Q1b Scythian/Khazar (Indigenous Central-Asian)
    mtDNA
    U5b2a3 Mesolithic European (Indigenous European)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    كافر
    Hero
    Charles Martel, Winston Churchill, Fjordman, Allen West & Robert Spencer
    Religion
    Jewishish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,012
    Given: 11,416

0 Not allowed!

Probably because there isn't much need to now, and it would put English at a disadvantage.

As i said in another thread (i think it was on this forum?) English is basically a West Germanic/north German dialect with a lot of non-Germanic vocab. However the amount of non-Germanic vocab changes on who is speaking, in what situation and what they are speaking about. For example a middle-class lecturer talking about something technical or complex (perhaps even lecturing in English!) will usually use a lot more than your average Joe going to the shop to buy something or just talking to a friend about ordinary things. However the lecturer will use more Germanic words when doing more ordinary things, so there is a both a 'class' split (social background more like) and a circumstance split. I bet you I've used a ton of Latin or French words in this paragraph.

It's also worth considering that English is a bit of a mix between West Germanic and North Germanic (at least according to some who have proposed the idea over the years) and it is also possible that there is Celtic influence in the way that we speak, although i haven't yet heard that linguists have found any really solid ground with that (although it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is the case, it would make sense). All this in the second paragraph is non-lexical, and based purely on how things are spoken, rather than the words used.

But basically i think there isn't purism because there is no advantage to it, and now we have got used to having the language how it is, and so has a lot of the world.

It's pretty interesting think how different things could be on just a couple of events in the past. For example if the Danes had won out over the Normans in the 11th century here, we'd most likely be speaking a hybrid West-North Germanic language with much less French-Latin influence, although i think that the language may well have not been global in the way that it is now, or not as much.
    The Normans were basically Danes too don't forget.
    Spoiler!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information