Thread: Celtic Tales

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Celtic Tales

We can't have Celtopia without something about its myths and legends, now, can we? There are lots of interesting ones out there, so feel free to post here!

This website has some interesting ones:
    Celtic Fairy Tales

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

I can recommend this:

Inspiration and vision are the foundation of Celtic myth. These myths were first told by the ancient bards who went through an arduous training of up to 20 years. This gave them, they believed, powers of divination, shape changing and the ability to travel to the "other world". It also supplied them with an unrivalled knowledge of the natural world of animals and plants and the authority to heal, order and judge. This higher knowledge was held as precious beyond price, and not written down. The bards would not speak openly, but instead encoded their knowledge, incorporating it into teasing riddles and into their tales. These myths were not read; they were told and sung. Claire Hamilton recreates the experience of the Celtic listeners in the way she frames the myth with the teller, the teller with his/her audience. The accompanying CD captures the enchanting and sometimes strange beauty of the music that would have accompanied the tales. Introductions are given to the Celtic societies, particularly those of Ireland, Wales and Scotland, as well as the music of the Celts and their use of the harp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Celtic...2434038&sr=8-8
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I'd recommend the tales of the Mabinogion. The stories have been told since before the Romans arrived in Britain, but it wasn't until the 10th century that they were put into script.

http://www.mabinogion.info/

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

I finished reading an excellent book called "Celtic Myths and Legends". I'll supply the author when I gets me on home. Excellent book. Goes over a great number of Gaelic, Cornish, Manx, Welsh, Breton, and Scottish Gaelic myths and legends. In a lot of these tales I find that they act as a sort of daily news as the myths often reflect the times, these legends often mentioning Norsemen, Saxons, and such.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Barreldriver
    I finished reading an excellent book called "Celtic Myths and Legends".
    It wasn’t by Peter (I hate the English, they slept with my sister before I had a chance, if it wasn’t for the “Saxon” Ireland would have ruled the world, it was an English Empire never a British Empire, by the way did I mention I hate the English in the last sentence?) Beresford Ellis was it?

If you want a laugh I would recommend this:

Celt & Saxon

Peter Berresford Ellis charts the struggle for the supremacy of Britain between the invading ancestors of the English and the British Celts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saxon-Celtic...2960963&sr=8-1

To say this man has a "chip on his shoulder" as one critic does is like saying Hitler had a slight problem with Jews.....
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

puttin' in yer windies Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2013 @ 04:14 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Windie fister
    Ethnicity
    rabble derble derk dable
    Ancestry
    somethin'
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    It wasn’t by Peter (I hate the English, they slept with my sister before I had a chance, if it wasn’t for the “Saxon” Ireland would have ruled the world, it was an English Empire never a British Empire, by the way did I mention I hate the English in the last sentence?) Beresford Ellis was it?
    Na, it wasn't by him. It was just a compilation of old tales, I did not have the compiler in my memory at the moment and I have to go home and see the inside cover of the book lol. It was a female though that compiled the book I read.

Thread Information