Gnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,898
    Given: 4,604

0 Not allowed!

lI

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    Duda was an important musical instrument in Belarusian culture in the past. For some unknown reason lesser popular musical instruments were chosen as national Belarusian musical instruments in the 30s. Duda was forgotten during Soviet era.
    The reason seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Soviets wouldn't have liked these to look too similar, would they?

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to see at least the Lithuania's post stamp the way it is - in spite of Soviet's habit to distort history, folklore - everything they could lay their hands upon, really - in spite of that the Lithuanian representation just looked perfect, they didn't screw it up it at all - I mean, they didn't spam it with crappy accordions, drums or bandoneons...

Each bagpipe performer has his or her own style. Some play melodic tunes, other energetic or more rhythmic.
    My question was about that specific tune rather than some general style. I was wondering about it because it's very popular in Lithuania but it's more energetic than average and there's this reference in the lyrics, so I was curious if maybe it could have been borrowed from Belarusians? So far, having listened to all those videos I haven't heard Belarusians playing it though.

This particular tune is more rhythmic. There are other bagpipe performers on the video playing some interesting tunes. There are also performers from Estonia and Latvia towards the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaaDeef580&t=3m15s
    And a Lithuanian too! Incidentally, the Lithuanian part seems gloomier than Estonian.

Belarusian ensemble ESSA is playing a Lithuanian song. It doesn't sound energetic.
    Compared to the authentic Lithuanian version of that song, the hell it does - more expressive, dramatic, melodic as opposed to rhythmic, monotonous!
    http://youtu.be/jAPLx1liWVo?t=6m54s
    Last edited by lI; 09-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 01:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    -----
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 349
    Given: 200

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    in spite of Soviet's habit to distort history, folklore - everything they could lay their hands upon, really - in spite of that the Lithuanian representation just looked perfect, they didn't screw it up it at all - I mean, they didn't spam it with crappy accordions, drums or bandoneons...
    I read somewhere Belarus wasn't the only republic that didn't get to keep all their traditional musical instruments. I can't comment any further as I don't remember the details. So, Lithuanians have been more fortunate keeping their instruments.

My question was about that specific tune rather than some general style. I was wondering about it because it's very popular in Lithuania but it's more energetic than average and there's this reference in the lyrics, so I was curious if maybe it could have borrowed from Belarusians? So far, having listened to all those videos I haven't heard Belarusians playing it though.
    Sorry, linkus. I was multitasking. I don’t know if there was or there wasn’t a similar tune in Belarus. Duda was popular in Vilenskaja and Vitebskaya gubernia and North-western Belarus. So, maybe ... If I come across a tune similar to the one you posted earlier I will post it here.

Last Online
    12-04-2022 @ 10:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Ancestry
    Moravia+Silesia+Bohemia=Czechia
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Moravia-Silesia
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a (R-M512)
    mtDNA
    V (V7a)
    Taxonomy
    Europithecus
    Politics
    of the all azimuths
    Hero
    Viktor Mihály Orbán
    Religion
    ČCE
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 4,545

0 Not allowed!

In the Czech republic are bagpipes tied mostly from southern Bohemia, especially with the town of Strakonice.
    Czech kind of bagpipes are not blow from mouth but the bag is pushed by the arm:
    IMG_9849.JPG

In Strakonice taken place a International Bagpipe Festival, every year
    http://www.dudackyfestival.cz/index....ome&hl=english
    1984 was A Warning Not A Manual

Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 08:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Dalmatia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,371
    Given: 558

1 Not allowed!

Last Online
    12-04-2022 @ 10:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Ancestry
    Moravia+Silesia+Bohemia=Czechia
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Moravia-Silesia
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a (R-M512)
    mtDNA
    V (V7a)
    Taxonomy
    Europithecus
    Politics
    of the all azimuths
    Hero
    Viktor Mihály Orbán
    Religion
    ČCE
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,808
    Given: 4,545

1 Not allowed!

From Czech movie Strakonický dudák (Bagpiper of Strakonice)
    1984 was A Warning Not A Manual

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -----
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The reason seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Soviets wouldn't have liked these to look too similar, would they?

I found a good picture of traditional Belarusian musical instruments. I felt like posting it. There are other musical instruments too.

lI

1 Not allowed!

I found a good picture of traditional Belarusian musical instruments. I felt like posting it. There are other musical instruments too.

Are you sure that all of those are traditional Belarusian musical instruments? Two drums in the lower left corner and two weirdly shaped bubbles towards the upper left corner don't strike me as traditional looking.
    However, if all of them really are genuine BY folk instruments, it's interesting that your pan flutes are tied together for solo performing like those of Latvians rather than loose and meant for communal polyphony like the Lithuanian ones (when playing them, there has to be a group of at the very least 3-4 people and each holds one or two pan flutes skudutis - http://youtu.be/wyBgXqVgOdw?t=52m24s ).
    Could you find some recording to show what the Belarusian pan flutes sound like? And what are they called?

Also, I found this scheme of the distribution of Baltic psalteries:

1 - of the 1th type of psalteries
    2 - of the 2nd type of psalteries
    3 - of the 3rd type of psalteries
    4 - the limit of Narva culture
    (E - Eastern, N - Nothern, W - Western variants)
    5 - the limit of Nemunas culture.

It would imply that originally only the 1st type of psalteries was known in Belarus and only in the far North-Western fringe.
    Is there some reliable material for reading up on the Belarusian psaltery? This documentary contained some utterly bizarre stuff like claims that it came there from Scandinavia in the 12th century, so I don't think it can be trusted.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -----
    Country
    Bhutan
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Are you sure that all of those are traditional Belarusian musical instruments? Two drums in the lower left corner and two weirdly shaped bubbles towards the upper left corner don't strike me as traditional looking.
    I am not sure if all instruments on the picture are traditional Belarusian. I found the picture in an advertisement made by a musician playing psaltery and the Belarusian duda. The maintainer of the group who posted the picture was implying the musical instruments are 'ours'. The drum (бубен) is one of the Belarusian traditional instruments which can be found in museums. One of the 'weird shaped bubble' at the top looks like Ocarina which was also played in Belarus according to the ''Unusual enclypedia of belarusian traditiional instruments'. Ocarina instrument comes in different shapes. I found another picture showing a bubble shaped instrument among Belarusian traditional instruments. I can't recognise the unusual looking green colour instrument on the left of the 1st picture.

The picture of Ocarnia from personal collection of a guy who wrote the encyclopedia.

However, if all of them really are genuine BY folk instruments, it's interesting that your pan flutes are tied together for solo performing like those of Latvians rather than loose and meant for communal polyphony like the Lithuanian ones (when playing them, there has to be a group of at the very least 3-4 people and each holds one or two pan flutes skudutis - http://youtu.be/wyBgXqVgOdw?t=52m24s ).
    Could you find some recording to show what the Belarusian pan flutes sound like? And what are they called?

I searched on pan flutes in traditional Belarusian folkore music and I couldn't find very much. There are some pictures displaying it as a Belarusian traditional instrument. I saw the instrument in the collection among other Belarusian instruments by the guy who wrote the aforementioned book on the Belarusian traditional musical instruments in which he didn't include the pan flute. I am assuming pan flute is more common in eastern and south-eastern Belarus. The instrument is more common in the neighbouring countries: Russia, Lithuania and Latvia. The Russian name of the instrument is Кугилы, Кувилы, флейта пана. Кугилы being the most common.

It'd be played in solo.

Also, I found this scheme of the distribution of Baltic psalteries:

It would imply that originally only the 1st type of psalteries was known in Belarus and only in the far North-Western fringe.
    Is there some reliable material for reading up on the Belarusian psaltery? This documentary contained some utterly bizarre stuff like claims that it came there from Scandinavia in the 12th century, so I don't think it can be trusted.

There is more information on Belarusian psalteries than on the pan flute. The website states 7 different types of psalteries found in Belarus all in Vitebskaya Gubernia (present Viciebsk and part of Mahiliou region in Belarus) in the 19th begenning 20th century. Two pictures and references are provided. The psalteries are held in a St Petersburg museum now. Two psalteries listed on the website were also used in Latgale and Pskov region. Also, Stary Olsa list their musical instruments on their website. As per the information on the website, one psaltery was mentioned in literary work of the 12th century. Another psaltery is made for the band in Latgale by a Latvian maker. One more psaltery the band is playing is a copy of that found in Viciebsk region. See images of psalteries on Stary Olsa's website.

Several pictures of traditional musical instruments in a museum : http://zhlobin-museum.com/master-iz-...dlya-oksforda/
    Last edited by inactive_member; 09-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information