Thread: Danes propose tunnel to Sweden

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I think it already exists. I'll look it up tomorrow (unless I forget), but I think some ferry companies do link up with train services. Also there are the Euro routes which take ferry crossings into account too.
    Not to the Netherlands. There are regular ferry services though.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan Belanda View Post
    Not to the Netherlands. There are regular ferry services though.
    http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. That's quite a reasonable prices actually, maybe that trip I've wanted to make to NL can be done on a tight budget after all.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. That's quite a reasonable prices actually, maybe that trip I've wanted to make to NL can be done on a tight budget after all.
    Strange. I remember going with Stena Line last year and there was no train on board. It's probably that people have to get off the train at Harwich or at Hook of Holland. The train doesn't actually board the ship. The socalled Dutchflyer is a boat train service but not a train ferry (there is a difference between the two).

I mean like this (in Denmark):

We don't have that here.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Strange. I remember going with Stena Line last year and there was no train on board. It's probably that people have to get off the train at Harwich or at Hook of Holland. The train doesn't actually board the ship.

I mean like this:

(in Denmark).

We don't have that here.
    Ah, I see. I don't quite see the point though - why not just have a train terminal near the port? Most port towns have a railway station anyway, I think using ferry services and railways in conjunction is a very good idea, but not actually transporting the train - I just think that's odd.

On that service I posted people take the train to the port town, cross on the ferry and then catch the train at the town they dock in.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Ah, I see. I don't quite see the point though - why not just have a train terminal near the port? Most port towns have a railway station anyway, I think using ferry services and railways in conjunction is a very good idea, but not actually transporting the train - I just think that's odd.

On that service I posted people take the train to the port town, cross on the ferry and then catch the train at the town they dock in.
    I actually think that it would be a good idea to have a luxury service running from Amsterdam (via Rotterdam) to London which would be literary transported by the ferry so train passengers don't have to walk to the ferry and from the ferry any more (they arrive late at night or in the early morning when there is no direct connection by train so.. it's poorly planned).

But then again: it could be that there is a difference in railway gauge between Britain and the Netherlands so that's where we could have a problem.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I actually think that it would be a good idea to have a luxury service running from Amsterdam (via Rotterdam) to London which would be literary transported by the ferry so train passengers don't have to walk to the ferry and from the ferry any more (they arrive late at night or in the early morning when there is no direct connection by train so.. it's poorly planned).

But then again: it could be that there is a difference in railway gauge between Britain and the Netherlands so that's where we could have a problem.
    I don't know, I think it's a load of hassle just to save a few minutes walking to the train station really. If it was that much bother then a branch of the train station could go directly to the port and trains could wait there.

As for rail gauge - I thought we used the same as the rest of Europe? Narrow Gauge is only on Mountain railways like on Snowdonia or the Isle of Man.
    I'm pretty sure High Speed 1 and 2 (if it gets built) will be compatible with Dutch lines. Then again I don't think I'd want such a train on a ferry,i it wouldn't work.

At the moment the cheapest and easiest option would be to link train and ferry services. This would be a good compromise for the time being anyway.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Then again I don't think I'd want such a train on a ferry,i it wouldn't work.
    It worked in a lot of countries for a long, long time. It would just be new for many British. The thing is though that the trip from the Hook to Harwich takes 6 to 8 hours and I always found it surprising that the Calais to Dover route never became a train ferry as both ports are within half an hour distance from each other. Instead: they build this ridiculously expensive chunnel.

At the moment the cheapest and easiest option would be to link train and ferry services. This would be a good compromise for the time being anyway.
    Agreed. But then the timetables of the ferry and train services would have to match because people should not have to wait on freezing cold platforms during the night or early morning. It might also be possible to create a kind of jet bridges from the station to the place where the ferry docks (basically like what you see on airfields) and to the custom services.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information