View Poll Results: What is Richard Dawkins to you?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a hero of humanism and free thought

16 57.14%
  • He's a disrespectful person who should shut up

6 21.43%
  • Richard who?

6 21.43%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Richard Dawkins - What do you think of him?

taking a break. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,120
    Given: 2,371

0 Not allowed!

I've read his writings, I've seen him speak, but I don't think about him at all. He is irrelevant to me and how I live my life. Same with the late Hitchens.
    [img]http://************.com/uploads/ignore2.jpg[/img]

Ah, per fortuna un uomo può sognare... un uomo può sognare.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alfieb View Post
    I've read his writings, I've seen him speak, but I don't think about him at all. He is irrelevant to me and how I live my life. Same with the late Hitchens.
    Lucky you!
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-02-2013 @ 09:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jew
    Ethnicity
    Nomad
    Ancestry
    Jew Hell
    Country
    Adyghea
    Taxonomy
    Hook-nosed Bears
    Politics
    Left and Right Nazi Sympathizers Hunting
    Religion
    Inglourious Bastard
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 454
    Given: 662

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayalet View Post
    He is lacking in philosophy, which is an important flaw, as the existence of god is a philosophical and not a scientific matter. This was especially apparent in his debate with that Archbishop of Canterbury.
    Trivially the existence of anything is a matter of philosophical dispute.
    Definitively, most professional philosophers are not only not religious or even agnostic, but atheists (and most by a tiny margin Naturalists).
    It isn't an argument, but theists should know by now two things, scientists won't come for the rescue - philosophers won't too, and the middle ages are behind us and philosophers are not any more slaves to theology. If you want a decent debate search for Austin vs Craig.
    Last edited by Sblast; 07-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Bear Jew. "Pacifism is objectively pro-Fascist…bourgeois illusion bred of money and security…
    the psychological processes by which pacifists who have started out with an alleged horror of violence end up with a marked tendency to be fascinated by the success and power of Nazism..‘I am just as anti-fascist as anyone, but—’. The result of this is that so-called peace propaganda is just as dishonest and intellectually disgusting as war propaganda."
    - Gorge Orwell

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 01:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 895
    Given: 497

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sblast View Post
    It isn't an argument, but theists should know by now two things, scientists won't come for the rescue - philosophers won't too, and the middle ages are behind us and philosophers are not any more slaves to theology.
    I don't really care who comes forth to rescue theism, I'm more of a strong agnostic these days. Still, it's a bit annoying to see Dawkins concede that he doesn't know what would prove the existence of god (by extension, he would be saying that the non-existence of god is unfalsifiable) and then expect natural phenomena (i.e. scientific) evidence from the opposing camp.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jew
    Ethnicity
    Nomad
    Ancestry
    Jew Hell
    Country
    Adyghea
    Taxonomy
    Hook-nosed Bears
    Politics
    Religion
    Inglourious Bastard
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I don't really care who comes forth to rescue theism, I'm more of a strong agnostic these days. Still, it's a bit annoying to see Dawkins concede that he doesn't know what would prove the existence of god (by extension, he would be saying that the non-existence of god is unfalsifiable) and then expect natural phenomena (i.e. scientific) evidence from the opposing camp.
    I think he does know, scientific or well defined daily pragmatic evidence.
    Scientific as "natural phenomena" is a problematic statement, by now standard. Science deals with good explanations in general regardless of their metaphysics and settings an a-priori limit to science is a dangerous game, that's where theism fails so far, producing good explanation. Arguably of course.
    Bear Jew. "Pacifism is objectively pro-Fascist…bourgeois illusion bred of money and security…
    the psychological processes by which pacifists who have started out with an alleged horror of violence end up with a marked tendency to be fascinated by the success and power of Nazism..‘I am just as anti-fascist as anyone, but—’. The result of this is that so-called peace propaganda is just as dishonest and intellectually disgusting as war propaganda."
    - Gorge Orwell

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 01:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Country
    Turkey
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 895
    Given: 497

0 Not allowed!

I think he does know, scientific or well defined daily pragmatic evidence.
    No, he doesn't. When posed a question like "What would it take you to believe in a god?", he said something along the lines of "I used to think I would believe if I saw god walk down from the sky, but now I think I would assume I was hallucinating instead." I actually agree with him too. A man walking down from the sky doesn't mean he is omnipotent, omnipresent and/or omniscient. In fact, nothing means that. Those adjectives are, by definition, beyond our perceptions (hence my strong agnosticism). It is Dawkins who doesn't quite realize what logical ramifications his statement has.

Scientific as "natural phenomena" is a problematic statement, by now standard. Science deals with good explanations in general regardless of their metaphysics and settings an a-priori limit to science is a dangerous game
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm of course aware that anti-metaphysical 19th century positivism is now obsolete and realize philosophy and science can be continuous, but that doesn't mean they are ultimately indistinct and interchangeable.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jew
    Ethnicity
    Nomad
    Ancestry
    Jew Hell
    Country
    Adyghea
    Taxonomy
    Hook-nosed Bears
    Politics
    Religion
    Inglourious Bastard
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It is Dawkins who doesn't quite realize what logical ramifications his statement has.
    It's not an issue for me, he isn't Clergy whom I have his honor to protect, I take the good and leave the bad.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm of course aware that anti-metaphysical 19th century positivism is now obsolete and realize philosophy and science can be continuous, but that doesn't mean they are ultimately indistinct and interchangeable.
    I apologize for the vagueness.
    Both Theists and Naturalists see an historical problem with a [B]naive /B] basing basing of naturalistic metaphysics (physicalism basically) on science given it's history, especially physics. When Newton introduced his notions of forces working from a distance it was utterly new compared to the Aristotelian common-sensical physics that claimed that in order for something to move it needs a pusher (oversimplied, I know, but the point is Newton's science was called occult. Quantum physics is just mind bending and very different than classical physics.
    So, given this history we could not advance (or change paradigms) in physics if we dogmatically hold a strong metaphysical view based on our current science. hence it is dangerous to science itself. Some philosophers have more intricate arguments and try to avoid this pit (like Alexander Rosenberg).

As far as what I mean by good explanations; I think it's great to see philosophy on TED
    - Gorge Orwell

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information