Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: I’m Not Mad; I’m an Introvert

Peyrol

3 Not allowed!

I'm extrovert, but i can say that introversion isn't a ''social disease'' as many idiots thinks, It's only a way of being.

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 09:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Palestine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,015
    Given: 1,308

3 Not allowed!

Very interesting reads, I've thought about the way humans are supposed to fall into either the introvert vs. extrovert label but it always seemed too black-and-white. I mean unless you're certain that you're solely introverted or solely extroverted, wouldn't most people perhaps in the middle of the spectrum rather than on either extreme? I consider myself a hybrid, having traits from both "labels" - for e.g. I'm outgoing and I enjoy talking to people and being around them - being around people, even in jobs, is a comfort zone. yet I also need some time at the end of the day to just be with my own thoughts and activities. I'm also the same IRL as I am when I'm online - calmly enthusiastic, if that makes sense.

So I imagine many people fall in this "grey area", being a combo of both labels. I guess it's also now harder to truly judge given how social interactions have become heavily digitalized the past few years.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-17-2023 @ 08:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Maltese
    Country
    Malta
    Religion
    Zen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,058
    Given: 6,583

1 Not allowed!

For me it depends on the mood, on the times and on the people.

Last Online
    04-10-2023 @ 05:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Indo-Aryans
    Country
    Antarctica
    Region
    Moscow
    Politics
    Centre Left
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 632
    Given: 2,020

3 Not allowed!

People try and make introversion out to be some kind of handicap or disorder when it's not, it's just who you are as a person, it's not a big deal at all, the worst thing you can do is let either yourself or others tell you that.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,591
    Given: 16,990

0 Not allowed!

Default 5 Ways This Introvert Responds at a Social Gathering

5 Ways This Introvert Responds at a Social Gathering

It’s the holiday season again. I love the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really do.

But, for us introverts, it can also be a very difficult season. We are far more likely to be placed in awkward, uncomfortable situations.

People have a hard time believing I am introverted. Certainly I’m not on Sunday. I intentionally try to meet as many people as possible. And, I have plenty experience in extroverted environments. I’ve even served in public office. I can work a room if I need to do so.

Introversion is a personality based on preferences. It’s how someone is wired by life. We don’t simply choose to be introverted. We are programmed that way in our core personality.

So, knowing this time of year can be uncomfortable at times, I thought recently about how I respond in social settings where I’m not the host or where I don’t know most everyone in the room.

This may not be true for all introverts, but it is for me. I had this discussion with a fellow introvert. He said he just avoids all parties this time of year. I don’t want to do that, but knowing my reaction will hopefully keep me from hiding out in my personality and missing fun I really do often want to have.

Here is my typical response:

Find the corner – I look for a place away from the crowds to adjust to that space. I do this before even looking around to see who is in the room. I’ve been told, “I waved at you when you entered the room”, but I didn’t see you. I promise. I wasn’t even looking yet.

Survey the room – After a pause, this is when I finally begin to process who is in the room. Who do I know? Where’s the “safe” place to begin conversation? It’s usually with people I somewhat know and can easily begin conversation.

Spot the extroverts
    - It’s not that I don’t want to talk to them. Possibly they are some of the ones I most want to talk to, but I need time to “warm up” first. Many times these people launch into heavy conversation as soon as an introvert hits the door. The thought that this might happen is many times one of our biggest fears…and a main reason we avoid the social gathering altogether.

Look for an opportunity
    - When can I best break into a conversation? Many times if I can get started I’m good. Getting started is the hardest part. I won’t interrupt. Introverts typically don’t do that. We are gentleman (and gentlewomen) communicators.

Decide whether or not to move forward
    – At this point, I will either make the best of it…and many times have a great time if I do…or flame out early…or never ignite at all. It’s sad, but true. I’ve gone through this routine countless times only to spend a few minutes at a gathering before exiting as quickly as possible.

So, introverts, let’s not miss the parties we want to attend this year. If you want to stay home…great. But, I am committing not to allow my introversion to stop me. I’ll do this by disciplining myself to attend, adjust, and engage.

Source: http://www.ronedmondson.com/2013/11/...gathering.html

Here’s to a more extroverted Christmas for this introvert! I’ll just take more naps during this season…recover energy in my introversion…and go at it again.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default True Confession: Life as an Introvert

True Confession: Life as an Introvert

Here’s a quick confession. I’ve told readers before that I’m an introvert. That’s not the confession. I’ve learned lots of pastors are introverted.

In fact, I can appear fairly extroverted at times.

When I have a definite purpose and responsibility, I can be the most extroverted person in the room. On Sunday, for example, I work the crowd, shake tons of hands, and talk non-stop. It’s hard for people to believe I’m really an introvert. I go home exhausted on Sunday and need hours to recuperate. When I’m speaking at a conference, I work the room well.

Unfortunately, my introverted personality kicks in when I’m simply attending a gathering, especially with people I may not know.

Here’s the confession:

I’ve missed a few social gatherings due to my introversion.

Not only that…it gets worse…

There have been times, if attendance is optional, and Cheryl isn’t with me, I’ve intended to go to a social gathering, driven to the event, pulled into the parking lot, sat in my car for a few minutes, decided to drive around a little while, never went in…and missed the party completely. I skipped the fun, the opportunity to connect, and only left disappointed in myself.

Don’t misunderstand. I love people. I love meeting new people. I’m always glad when I go. I simply can’t push through the introversion sometimes.

This time of year, it’s easy for me to allow my introversion to keep me from enjoying the season.

Here’s my advice…

This is to me and anyone else who will admit to being this introverted:

Push through the introversion. Put your party hat on and do the social gathering. You’ll be glad once you did. I always am.

Source: http://www.ronedmondson.com/2011/12/...introvert.html

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    08-29-2014 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Wood elf + pixie and nymph influences
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,112
    Given: 2,045

3 Not allowed!

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic / Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Taxonomy
    West Baltid
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Default How an Introvert Handles Awkward Situations

How an Introvert Handles Awkward Situations

One thing middle age has done for me is make me more aware of who I really am and how I respond to life. I can wish I was wired differently, I can somewhat adapt my personality to my environment, and I can’t use my personality as an excuse for bad behavior, but I am coming to terms with how God made me. He made me an Introvert. In recent years I have come to terms with how the public side of me behaves in an extremely extroverted world. On Sundays, because I know and love our people and have a Kingdom mindset, I’m the extroverted pastor, but as my Myers Briggs indicates, I’m actually a preferred Introvert. (BTW, it amazes me how many pastors I know who are Introverts.)

To most Extroverts entering a crowded room of unknown people is not an awkward setting, but to someone wired like me, entering that same room, when not purposefully “working”, forces me into my introverted shell.

Here’s how I tend to respond when I enter a room full of people I don’t know:

• I find something to occupy my time – Play with my phone, doodle on paper, read my Kindle (you wonder why I carry this stuff…)
    • I pretend I don’t see people…often I don’t…but I’m likely to pretend just in case.
    • I hide in the lobby until the last possible moment…
    • I find someone I do know and latch on to them…
    • I secretly hope some likable Extrovert will approach me and break the ice… (Really, it’s not that I don’t want to talk, it’s just starting the conversation that’s often difficult.)

The fact that an Introvert is in crowds of people does not mean he or she is comfortable beginning conversations. It also doesn’t mean the Introvert has no care or concern for the people in the room or that he or she doesn’t like being around people. It doesn’t even mean the Introvert has nothing to say, although he or she would probably prefer not to be put on the spot to say it. It’s that an Introvert’s preferred interaction with people is often more of listening than it is of talking and more one-to-one than speaking in large groups at the same time. For some reason, that I don’t understand, an Introvert can speak to a large crowd (the larger the better), but when it comes to having group conversation, an Introvert is more likely to feel awkward. (Hopefully some other Introverts will help me out with this post.)

Source: http://www.ronedmondson.com/2010/03/...ituations.html

Last Online
    02-25-2020 @ 04:07 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ignorant
    Ancestry
    Nobody cares.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Kansas
    Taxonomy
    Ignorant
    Politics
    Unaffiliated
    Religion
    Non religious
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,443
    Given: 2,251

3 Not allowed!

I feel just like you. I feel harassed by extroverts. It is not that I don't like you all, I just find it a chore to coming up with stupid senseless chit chat all the time. I rather be left alone in a quite place.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ironic
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Country
    Georgia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    wasted to care
    Taxonomy
    MUH TEBID
    Politics
    are the problem
    Hero
    danishmend
    Religion
    is a private matter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,250
    Given: 19,152

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticwolf View Post
    I'm introvert big time, I think most people who frequent sites on the net are. Extroverts are annoying as hell.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread Information