Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do so many Dutch people cycle?

Banned
    Last Online
    12-11-2014 @ 07:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Cosmopolitan
    Ancestry
    Humans, chimps
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Classical liberalism, republicanism, Western hegemony, new world order
    Hero
    N. Machiavelli, F. A. von Hayek, H. Kissinger
    Religion
    Christian, me and my other self are still divided over this
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,412
    Given: 1,141

0 Not allowed!

actually, pulling with bike to the edge of the road, so that cars may pass is a bad idea (unless its a wide road). drivers then often pass only centimeters from the biker which is distressing (at least for me). the best thing is to force the driver to handle the biker as any other car. remember that, as a biker, you are always in the weaker position. when you pull to the edge, you risk, when you stay in lane, none of you is in risk.
    and piss on nervous drivers rushing somewhere. their time isnt more valuable than your health/life.

i also dont see what you ppl have against hills. going up is ok and going down is awesome

p. s. lol @ slovakia being 9th. biking on a busy road in slovakia is real adrenaline. in cities we almost always have to bike on pedestrian pavements.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    It's because road tires, for bikes are very thin & you take the risk of hitting a drain or pothole & flying over the handle bars.
    Well get proper tires then, my bike doesn't do that because it isn't some flimsy thing meant for the Tour de France like a great deal of cyclists seem to ride these days.

He means bicyclists riding side by side, and blocking the road, which as vehicles, they should not do.
    And that. Happened the other day - two cars wouldn't do it, two bikes shouldn't. It's reckless and selfish, taking up a lot of the so cars have to pass wider, risking a head on collision with another car. British roads are narrow as it is without bikes making them worse.

Riding on the pavement is another fault of many bicyclists. They belong on the left of the road and they also need to drive into the centre of any roundabout and indicate when they intend to turn, unless it is the next turning along!
    Well here we have some good cycle lanes - ones where a very wide path has been divided and half in red for cyclists, yet they don't always use it. They'll just continue down the narrow road alongside cars.
    I was in a car with a mate the other day, stuck in traffic. A guy just comes cycling by, very close to the car indeed, my friend tells him there's a cycle path and suggests he should use it, the cyclists got hissy and said we could take it to the police station if we liked.
    The smug, self righteousness of some cylists really pisses me and a lot of other people off.

Have you tried cycling here Fortis? Flat roads & paths are so rare. lol Lots's of weeeeeee! & fuck this hill!!!
    Same here.

actually, pulling with bike to the edge of the road, so that cars may pass is a bad idea (unless its a wide road). drivers then often pass only centimeters from the biker which is distressing (at least for me). the best thing is to force the driver to handle the biker as any other car. remember that, as a biker, you are always in the weaker position. when you pull to the edge, you risk, when you stay in lane, none of you is in risk.
    and piss on nervous drivers rushing somewhere. their time isnt more valuable than your health/life.
    Well yes, it is. Me getting to work on time (having set out at a decent time to get there) is more important than interrupting someone having a leisurely cruise on a bike. They might not be in a hurry to get somewhere, but it doesn't mean the other ten car drivers behind them aren't needing to be somewhere.
    If the road is big enough, cars should pass and bikes should get over. On narrow roads then cars just get stuck behind bikes and it is unavoidable.

Last Online
    12-23-2013 @ 03:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Circassian
    Ancestry
    Caucasus
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Vermont
    Politics
    liberal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 11

1 Not allowed!

I don't really buy the environmental or safety explanations in this case.. I think they're maybe just a bit stingy and don't want to pay for gas.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,955
    Given: 45,025

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by holdthemayo View Post
    I don't really buy the environmental or safety explanations in this case.. I think they're maybe just a bit stingy and don't want to pay for gas.
    I think the most important reason for them is because cities and towns are small, compact and flat ... and crowded. Also, it's good exercise. And of course saves money. There is no need for a car.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information