Faroes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,889
    Given: 12,843

0 Not allowed!

Default Chinese perceptions of Europeans: “Fat” ladies and “handsome” men

“Fat” ladies and “handsome” men

By Jonna Wibelius

I’ve been given a countless number of nicknames during my three years in China. “Big nose,” “big bones,” “fatty,” and “tall girl” are probably some of the most memorable ones. Hearing these names probably misleads you into thinking that I am quite a big lady, but truth be told, I’m not. I happen to be 175 cm tall and weigh around 60 kilos. Unfortunately for me, those numbers are way higher/heavier than the average Chinese woman's.

And while I’ve been receiving gibes and hints about the fact that I might want to “lose” some of my “excess baggage,” my boyfriend (who’s also Scandinavian) has become the King of the City. He’s 185 cm tall, blonde, blue-eyed and fairly fit. Back home, no one would look twice at him (he’s simply too ordinary looking); but in China, he’s a “10-pointer.” The men like him because he looks fit and handsome and the women love his height and his exotic features.

My boyfriend and I are no special exceptions in China. Most western couples experience the same things we do. Western ladies in China are often told that they look “fat and big” while the men are treated like gods. It doesn’t matter if the man isn’t fit, he’s still considered attractive, not to mention most-wanted, on the meat market.

During my early days in China, I had a big problem with accepting all of this. I found all the staring and whispering annoying and I hated when the shop assistants in clothing stores handled me clothes in the sizes L or XL. Every time I reached for my normal size (Medium), they would shake their heads or look at me with disbelief.

When I eventually learned Chinese and started to understand what people were actually saying about me, it got even worse.

“Look at that foreign girl, what a big bum she has!” I once overheard a shop assistant tell another while I was standing outside the changing room, inspecting myself in the mirror. I quickly escaped back into the changing room and promised myself to never, ever use a public mirror in a clothing store again.

When I complained to my boyfriend I received little or no compassion. “Is it really that bad? Are you sure you’re not exaggerating? In my opinion all people here are so nice and encouraging,” he said.

Easy for him to say. Once, the two of us went to a large shop. I ended up spending five minutes walking around looking for a shop assistant before I finally found them all gathered around my boyfriend and taking turns complimenting him.

“Oh, your biceps are so big!” one male shop assistant said.

“Can I feel them?” a second one asked.

“What a handsome man,” an older woman said.

“Excuse me, can I get some help?” I asked, an inquiry that didn’t raise any enthusiasm among my boyfriend's new fans.

“Sure,” one of the assistants reluctantly offered. “What can I do for you?”

“Your head is getting so big that I’m scared it’s going to blow up soon,” I later told my boyfriend.

It’s been some years now and fortunately for all of us, my boyfriend’s head is still intact. He’s actually gotten a bit fed up with all the attention he gets, or at least that’s what he tells me. I, on the other hand, have learned to laugh at the comments I receive. It’s not uncommon amongst Chinese people to comment on each other’s looks, weight and height.

The comments are actually meant to show that you care for the other person. Having learned that, I nowadays sometimes feel flattered when I realize that strangers are talking about me. Just think about it: In Sweden, I’m completely anonymous; meanwhile in China, I am looked at everywhere I go. Also, contrary to what I first believed, not all comments are negative.

To be “big nose” in China is considered something good. Many Chinese have expressed their dissatisfaction regarding their own, sometimes a bit flat, nose. To have a “big bum” isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Many Chinese girls wish they had more curves. And as for being “tall girl?” Well, that one I’m actually happy with. I could never be bothered to walk around in 5-inch heels everyday like every second Chinese woman does in order to look taller.

http://gbtimes.com/travel/blogs/fat-...d-handsome-men
    Last edited by Elsa; 08-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,948
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

That's very interesting. Here is another article about why Chinese women are attracted to foreign (read: European) men:

Understanding Chinese Women's Attraction to Foreign Men

In previous editions of the guide, we had asserted an unqualified, ubiquitous and pervasive preference for foreign men over Chinese men for most women in China. However, based on new data derived from a current research study in progress of 302 Chinese young adults, ranging in age from 16 through 30-years old (Mavrides, 2009), it appears that those claims were overstated—or, at the very least, need to be better qualified.

In our current study, not one of the 144 female respondents indicated a strong or exclusive preference for dating and marrying a foreign man and only 4.2% indicated even a moderate preference for dating and marrying a Westerner. About 32% stated that it didn't matter either way (no preference based on race or culture) and another 48.6% indicated a preference for a Chinese man but stated that they would consider a foreigner "if the right one came along" (ibid). The most common reasons stated for these findings were "parents would never agree to a foreigner," "too many cultural differences leading to problems later on," and "difficulty communicating."

In light of this new evidence, what we now believe is that foreign men provide a very attractive alternative to those Chinese women who feel they are not competitive for the most desirable and sought after Chinese men. This group of women primarily include:

Women who are considered to be relatively unattractive or just mediocre in appearance by Chinese standards (see unit Understanding Chinese Women, for a complete discussion of the discrepancy between Western and Chinese standards of beauty). This also includes women with darker-toned skin and probably all minority women. This is not to suggest that these women are truly unattractive, it's just that they might not be regarded as pretty in China. Keep in mind that Chinese actresses Lucy Liu (who has attained sex symbol status in the States) and Zhang Ziyi (who was voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People magazine) are both considered to be "a little ugly" in China.

Women over the age of 30 and those who are no longer virgins, irrespective of marital status. While age and virginity were the least important assets in men sought after by women, they ranked in 6th and 7th place for the male respondents in the study (followed by profession and height in 8th and last place, respectively).

Women who are divorced especially, but not only, if they have a child.

Women from poor families, especially those whose parents are farmers and transient workers and were not born in a first-tier city. Chinese men ranked the girl's education and family background as 4th and 5th in order of importance, exceeded only by character, health and appearance in first, second and third place, respectively.

Finally, and quite cynically, unscrupulous women who are otherwise quite competitive for the most desirable Chinese men but who are Western-bound at any cost and are primarily, if not only, interested in the foreign man's visa.

However, having just written this, it should be kept in mind that approximately 65% of China is still agricultural and, therefore, the majority of women in China today do come from relatively poor families and the countryside. In addition, the vast cultural differences in definition and perception of Asian beauty have created a rather large pool of available Chinese women who are more than eager to seek comfort and affirmation of their self-worth and desirability as women from men with "big eyes" and "tall noses," even if they can't speak a word of English.

Consequently, within this aforementioned and relatively large sub-group of women, it is not unusual to see Western men coupled with girls 25 to 35 years their junior, irrespective of their overall appearance, weight, height, intelligence, personality, level of education, financial assets, work history or any other attribute that would be a determining factor in mate selection in the West. Completely aside from those who may harbor or be primarily driven by ulterior motives, e.g., a visa to a Western country, a better life, guaranteed lifetime financial support for the family, an opportunity to practice one's English language skills in pursuit of some other, higher goal, etc., some girls are simply and genuinely attracted to the more open and direct manner that characterizes most Western men when compared to that of the average Chinese man. As one girl explained: "My ex-boyfriend was always telling me to 'shut-up,' that I was 'too noisy'. I really like you because I can talk freely and I always know how you feel."

In the countryside, as well as in the poorer provinces, domestic violence is rampant: Girls from these environments will feel deeply loved if only they are not beaten. It will take little more than that for you to win their hearts—that and a little bit of genuine kindness. A very pretty 24-year old girl, in response to being asked if she truly loved her obese and well below-average looking foreign boyfriend, more than twice her age, who was a chronic alcoholic and clearly suffering from Korsakoff's syndrome (symptoms include memory loss, confabulation, poor insight, meager content in conversation and apathy), responded, without hesitation, that she did and to my look of utter disbelief she explained: "Every day he tells me that he loves me and I know that he means it." Most Chinese men and women have never heard, not even once, their parents express the words "I love you." Our current study revealed that the less competitive a girl perceived herself to be as a marital choice, the more likely she was to value romanticism and demonstrative affection in a man, especially if she was not raised in an upper middle-class family.

Finally, and it's a point worth mentioning here, as most Chinese girls expect to have a child one day and particularly given how Western physical characteristics (i.e., "big eyes," "tall nose") are perceived as highly desirable in China, many girls will deliberately seek a foreign man with the physical appearance of their future child in mind. During your stay in China, you will hear many girls comment on how interracial babies born to Chinese-Western parents are "so beautiful" and "very clever." Although we don't consider this to be a major factor in their attraction to foreign men, it is a thought that definitely enters into the minds of Chinese women of child-bearing years as an added benefit to having a Western husband.

Fear of Abandonment

The divorce rate is soaring in China and conservative estimates now place it at 22 to 25% (Xinhua, 2006). The reasons stated for this recent increase include the incorporation of simplified divorce procedures in 2003 (it now costs only 10 yuan and takes less than 20 minutes to get a divorce at a local civil affairs department), increased affluence for both husbands and wives, and the greater influence of Western values. Chinese women, particularly the younger ones, appear far more willing to divorce their husbands for infidelity than ever before and highly successful Chinese men, whose fathers and grandfathers lived during a time when second wives and concubines were still permitted by law, psychologically view such indulgences as their inalienable birthright.

So great is this fear among Chinese girls of being cheated on and later abandoned by their husbands for a much younger woman once they reach middle-age, most Chinese girls prefer to work and accumulate their "own money" in preparation for such an event, irrespective of how wealthy the husband may be (and, often, especially if he is wealthy, as Chinese men with money are far more likely to cheat on their wives than those who are poor). In fact, this fear of future abandonment and inevitable divorce may account for why only 53.8% of our study's female respondents indicated definite intentions of eventually getting married.

Consider the following personal account of a 55-year old Chinese woman who strongly suspects that her husband is cheating on her, but ultimately succumbs to the fear of what life would be like for her if she were to divorce:

Although Ms. Liu is 55 years old now, she seems more fashionable and younger. In the eyes of other people, she has a happy family since her husband is a leader of an enterprise with high pay and her son is also an outstanding student studying in a key university. However, she is the only one who tastes the bitterness of family life. Her husband seldom comes back home for supper but says he is out socializing. Therefore, she worries her husband is having extramarital relations. Her son, who always looks indifferent, has a luxurious life and often gets angry with her.

Troubled by these family problems, she received counseling. She confessed she was afraid of her husband divorcing from her. "Although women are encouraged to enjoy an independent life, I still worry about the reality after divorce. It is very hard for women like me aged 50 to make a living in a competitive society. We had a tough childhood and experienced three years of natural disaster. Our work was also interfered by the Cultural Revolution. When we became old, many of us faced the problem of unemployment. Taking into account of all these experiences, I dare not divorce," she said (The Evening News, 2007, translated from Chinese by the Women of China).

Given the pervasive fears of abandonment that most Chinese women seem to have, it is not difficult to understand why much older foreign men who hold the promise of long-term devotion, fidelity, and dependability, provide them with the opportunity to receive "double-love," i.e., the love of husband coupled with that of a father and, as an added bonus, also find them to be genuinely beautiful (when most Chinese men do not) would be so desirable to them in China.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 02:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 35

0 Not allowed!

If you get insecure about yourself because some asians think you look strange its your own fault. First of all why are they living in China? Obviously you are going to stand out either way thats a no brainer. There are many asian men who like western women with long legs and blond hair-blue eyes you can even see it in their cartoons though if she gets so many rude comments she must be more on the sturdy side. Keep in mind the average height in central europe is about 5'5 and in northern Europe 5'7 so she is definitely huge to an asian person especially compared to the women. But as I said thats nothing to feel bad about because you are in the minority over their you should feel special. All my experience with asians are positive in the sense they really admire my looks it makes me feel superior too you cant help it.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
    If you get insecure about yourself because some asians think you look strange its your own fault.
    This is nothing about insecurity, it's just fascinating to observe these perceptions. Some are positive and others negative.

Last Online
    09-21-2015 @ 06:25 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finland-Swede
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 465

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
    All my experience with asians are positive in the sense they really admire my looks it makes me feel superior too you cant help it.
    Well, they do indeed admire the looks of White people because they try to make themselves look more Caucasian with plastic surgery.

Personally I never liked the Asians, they bad-mouthed you as soon as you turned your back to them.
    Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Last Online
    04-05-2015 @ 11:13 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Altaic
    Ethnicity
    Ahiska/Karaim/Türkmen
    Ancestry
    Caucasus/Central Asia/Ukraine
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Khazar pride worldwide
    Hero
    Seraya Shapshal
    Religion
    Sunni Islam
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,867
    Given: 9,929

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    Well, they do indeed admire the looks of White people because they try to make themselves look more Caucasian with plastic surgery.

Personally I never liked the Asians, they bad-mouthed you as soon as you turned your back to them.
    Nice way of generalising over 2 billion people.

Last Online
    03-04-2017 @ 11:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English, German
    Ancestry
    N/A
    Country
    England
    Taxonomy
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,878
    Given: 2,438

0 Not allowed!

So let me get this straight, if I go to China I become king?

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SammySnake View Post
    So let me get this straight, if I go to China I become king?
    You'll get a lot of free p*ssy.

(✿´‿`) ~(˘▾˘~) Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nymph
    Ethnicity
    Dryad
    Country
    Faroes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,889
    Given: 12,843

0 Not allowed!

Bump

Last Online
    04-27-2024 @ 10:23 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,095
    Given: 10,128

0 Not allowed!

Interesting, i've heared, that asians, as blacks got view on the white girls as social status thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information