Two ships have run aground in the past two weeks, of which one sank today.

Bulk Carrier MV Smart Has Split in Two After Running Aground in South Africa

Update 20 August -

The MV Smart has fully split in two overnight and authorities are scrambling to put together a plan to offload the fuel oil and cargo from the wreck perched on a sandbar just off a popular surfing beach at Richards Bay, South Africa.

A spokesperson for the South African Maritime Safety Authority (Samsa) has said there is an estimated 1,769 tons of fuel oil and 129 tons of diesel on board, but there is no immediate threat of a spill. The salvage will focus on the removal of the fuel first, the spokesperson said.

The ship had just finished loading 147,650 tonnes of coal at the Richards Bay Coal Terminal (RBCT) when she ran aground in 10 meter swells.

The Panamanian-flagged ship is registered to Alpha Marine Corp., Reuters reports. After loading at Richards Bay it was intended to deliver its cargo to a port in China, according to Thomson Reuters data.

Experts from the SA Maritime Safety Authority and salvage company Subtech are currently on board the Smart assessing the situation according to reports.

Source: http://gcaptain.com/bulk-carrier-mv-...-richards-bay/

The Kiani Satu Has Sunk [UPDATE]

Update (21 August)
-
As of 0400 local time, the Kiani Satu has sunk according to a statement by the Kynsna Municipality in South Africa. She went down in waters approximately 1000 meters deep, 100 nautical miles from shore.

Update (20 August) -

The above image via Windward Maritime Analytics Services Company shows the southerly track of the SMIT AMANDLA, which holds the Kiani Satu under tow while making about 2 to 5 knots of speed over the ground. As of last night, the two vessels were already 100 nautical miles from shore

Windward notes that the dogleg to the southeast was due to the need to avoid the Ensco 5001 rig, circled in blue.

Earlier update (19 August) -

With huge breaking surf crashing all around, the 165-meter bulk carrier Kiani Satu was pulled free from a South African beach this weekend by the SMIT Amandla, a large ocean-going tug. It seems however, that although the beach has now been spared from further environmental damage, the ship itself is doomed to a watery grave.

South Africa Maritime Safety Authority spokesperson, Captain Nigel Campbell, notes that the SMIT Amandla is currently making best speed south toward deep water as the sea continues to leak into the vessel.

In a report obtained by South African news company Algoa FM, Captain Campbell notes,

“I have just now flown back from the ship, she is 70 nautical miles off shore in about 300 meters of water. We had a salvage team on board during an assessment this morning, but from the plane I could tell that there is more water going into the ship. I have told them to take the salvors off and then the tug is to make best possible speed south. I think she is going to sink.”

Source: http://gcaptain.com/kiani-satu-sinking/