Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Default Top Africa cardinal: next pope could well be black

VATICAN CITY – A prominent African cardinal said Monday there was no reason why the next pope couldn't be black, particularly following the election of President Barack Obama.

Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson of Ghana is playing an important role in guiding a three-week meeting at the Vatican on the challenges of the Catholic Church in Africa.

At a news conference Monday, Turkson was asked whether he thought the time was right for a black pope, especially in light of Obama's election.

"Why not?" Turkson replied. He argued that every man who agrees to be ordained a priest has to be willing to be a pope, and is given training along the way as bishop and cardinal. "All of that is part of the package."
    SOURCE

So, what is your take on this? Would you accept an African Pope? Would you accept any non-European as Pope?

Personally, right now in this day and age I would not anticipate a non-European with excitement. I stand by this due to the fact that I do not believe that a non-European Pope could fully appreciate the state of the Faith in Europe today and Europe's great need for the Catholic Faith. As Belloc said, Europe is the Faith and the Faith is Europe. Europe will either come back to the Faith or she will perish.

What truly troubles me however, is those Catholics who support a non-European Pope because we apparently need a black or brown Pope! Disgusting!

Then there are the comments suggesting that an African Pope would relax the Church's posistion on contraception because the Church's posistion is of course wrong, and the poor Africans need contraception!

You can see my post here to see how wrong this rubbish is.

But it does raise an interesting point that the liberal media doesn't seem to understand quite yet. They have dreams of an Obama-type revolution in the Church, to promote homosexuality and contraception etc., and yet the majority of the African clergy are very conservative. So much so in fact, that I would perfer an African Pope over even most of the European clergy it if wasn't for the baisic fact that an African Pope could not be sensitive to Europe's needs right now!

Anyway, that's my opinion. What's yours?

Regards,
    Eóin.

P.S. Non-Catholics are welcome to post in this thread as well, but remember this is primarily a Catholic issue. But your opinions on the socio-political impact the election of a non-European Pope could have, are welcome.
    [Signature Pending]

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

So, what is your take on this? Would you accept an African Pope? Would you accept any non-European as Pope?
    I couldn't care less about skin colour of the future Pope. The only thing that matters are the personal qualities of the candidate, his dedication to the faith and the solidity of theological knowledge.

Personally, right now in this day and age I would not anticipate a non-European with excitement. I stand by this due to the fact that I do not believe that a non-European Pope could fully appreciate the state of the Faith in Europe today and Europe's great need for the Catholic Faith. As Belloc said, Europe is the Faith and the Faith is Europe. Europe will either come back to the Faith or she will perish.
    One should first do a research to determine the exact percentage of European Catholics (and Europeans in general) who are racial fetishists (being thus predisposed to attach vast deal of attention onto the pope's skin colour).

What truly troubles me however, is those Catholics who support a non-European Pope because we apparently need a black or brown Pope! Disgusting!
    It's disgusting, in as much as the skin colour of a pope should be regarded as irrelevant. It is as disgusting as the insistance that pope must of necessity be "white". Two forms of raci(ali)sm, the "positive" and the "negative" one.

Then there are the comments suggesting that an African Pope would relax the Church's posistion on contraception because the Church's posistion is of course wrong, and the poor Africans need contraception!
    These comments are probably very ignorant since, to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic Church in Africa displays a vast array of opinions on the matter, from "conservative" to "liberal".

But it does raise an interesting point that the liberal media doesn't seem to understand quite yet. They have dreams of an Obama-type revolution in the Church, to promote homosexuality and contraception etc., and yet the majority of the African clergy are very conservative.
    Right.

So much so in fact, that I would perfer an African Pope over even most of the European clergy it if wasn't for the baisic fact that an African Pope could not be sensitive to Europe's needs right now!
    Debatable.

I think that it isn't even the normal state of affairs that the Catholic Church and faith be centered around the personality of a pope who in some given moment sits on St. Peter's chair, or around the Vatican as such. It is more of a modern development.
    Last edited by Poltergeist; 10-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Last Online
    08-29-2010 @ 12:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    You tell me
    Ancestry
    Mother Lacedaemon, Father Macedonia
    Country
    Greece
    Politics
    Fascist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't appreciate it but I'd still have to accept a black pope as the patriarch if the council elected him.
    Democracy, which is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequaled alike. - Plato

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 20

0 Not allowed!

Frankly, I think I'd be relieved with any Pope who espoused a more traditional, pre-Vatican II form of Catholicism. I'm no sedevacanist, but I lean more toward the traditional end of the spectrum. No liturgical dancing for me!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

This is inevitable result end result of Catholic universalism, not that a black pope is terrible and bothering thing to my mind- as long as he's not given the same ridiculous pageantry that Ombongo has been given. Overall, what Catholics do within their own religious foundations isn't really a major concern of mine.

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Æsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eóin View Post
    SOURCE

Christianity originated outside of Europe and Jesus is supposedly the saviour of ALL people so why can´t a non-European be pope???

It would be a contradiction to disallow a man to become Pope based on his race or nation of origin.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf Kraki View Post
    Christianity originated outside of Europe and Jesus is supposedly the saviour of ALL people so why can´t a non-European be pope???

It would be a contradiction to disallow a man to become Pope based on his race or nation of origin.
    Many people must still think of Christianity as a specifically European religion which, as you point out, is not true.

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamedes View Post
    Many people must still think of Christianity as a specifically European religion which, as you point out, is not true.
    not just untrue, but complete bullcrap.

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

I have no objection to a black Pope based on race. I have an objection to a non-European Pope at this time because I do not believe a non-European Pope can be sensitive enough to the problems facing the Faith in Europe at this time.

However, I trust in God. I don't believe he will allow Europe to perish, and if a non-European Pope goes toward helping save the Faith in Europe I will welcome him with open arms.

Regards,
    Eóin.
    [Signature Pending]

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nooumenon View Post
    not just untrue, but complete bullcrap.
    It packages itself as a universal religion with a universal message, which I find a contradiction in terms since religions are, usually, the product of a single folk's innate genius. It takes a truly sublime doctrine to be considered universal and, quite honestly, I don't find a lot about Christian doctrines to be either unique (not that I see very many Christians claiming this) or especially sublime. The partnership between man and the divine is, for example, a part of multiple religious belief systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information