Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Odal lands of the North American French: Île d'Orléans

Île d'Orléans has been inhabited forever. The Native Indians were the first people to be drawn to the island due to the abundance of fish and game, and were undoubtedly attracted to "Minigo", "the Enchantress", as they called it, because of its mysterious charm. The fertile soil then attracted the first settlers who established one of the first colonies of New France. 300 families, now living in other parts of the American continent, can trace their roots back to Île d'Orléans (See First Coming Families). The island is described as the "microcosm" of traditional Quebec and as the birthplace of francophones in America. Today, Île d'Orléans is recognized as being the most important district of Quebec.

The island, situated 5 kilometres down-river from Quebec City, is cradled between the Laurentian Plateau or Canadian Shield and the Appalachian Mountains. Its eastern point marks the boundary between the St. Lawrence and its estuary. The layout of the land reminds us of the island's seigneurial past. Today with its 7000 inhabitants, the island maintains its longstanding agricultural tradition producing a wide range of products and also offers an exceptional concentration of horticultural diversity. Its rich natural elements interspersed with its outstanding architectural treasures offer a diverse collection of charming and surprisingly moving landscapes.

Known as the "Garden of Quebec", the Island has for many years provided nearby Quebec City with fresh produce such as seasonal fruit and vegetables, cereals, maple products, as well as farm produce and boasts of a long-standing reputation for quality and authenticity. Tourism has become an integral part of the island's economy, offering an undeniable escape from every day life to more than 600,000 visitors each year. Ïle d'Orléans offers each visitor first class accomodation from a vast choice of quality B&Bs and inns, excellent regional cuisine and local produce all sold in local shops and roadside stands, a rich cultural heritage, pastoral scenery, the works of local artists and craftsmen, and, of course, the ever present majestic St. Lawrence.

Up to 1935, the island was cut off from the rest of the continent by the St. Lawrence seaway thus retaining its traditional rural way of life. For the first three hundred years the colony experienced great hardships and many mishaps; in spite of this it maintained its pastoral image its reputation as a peaceful haven and its history of mysterious legends. With the inauguration of Taschereau Bridge visitors would discover time and time again the ancestral heritage and historical treasures that until then had been carefully preserved by the islanders.
    Source: http://www.iledorleans.com/eng/portr...e-dorleans.asp

Cheers!...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Aemma, I remember passing this place on my way to QC about six years ago. It was mid February and the place looked beautifully austere. After my visit to Quebec I've become besotted with the province.

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

A most excellent topic Aemma

I would like to submit a few candidates for French-Canadian Odal lands that are specifically Acadian:

Île Saint-Jean (aka Prince Edward Island)

Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine

and Île Miscou

Although none of these were the original homelands of the Acadians, that would be Grand-Pré and Port Royal, but these are some of the only ethnic lands that've been held principally by Acadians since Le Grand Dérangement.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post

I would like to submit a few candidates for French-Canadian Odal lands that are specifically Acadian:

Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine

and Île Miscou

Although none of these were the original homelands of the Acadians, that would be Grand-Pré and Port Royal, but these are some of the only ethnic lands that've been held principally by Acadians since Le Grand Dérangement.
    Ahh very excellent mon confrère! We are indeed rich in odal lands, are we not? up

...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sveyn View Post
    Aemma, I remember passing this place on my way to QC about six years ago. It was mid February and the place looked beautifully austere. After my visit to Quebec I've become besotted with the province.
    Ohhh glad to hear that you enjoyed La Belle Province Sveyn! Mid Feb to boot? My but you are indeed a brave soul!

Come back any old time Sveyn up

Cheers!...Aemma

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post

Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine

and Île Miscou

Don't forget Clare. One of the oldest settlements and home of one of the largest Acadian archives in the world.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    Don't forget Clare. One of the oldest settlements and home of one of the largest Acadian archives in the world.
    What's this then? A newcomer to the forum??!! Mais vraiment??? Fantastique!

Bienvenue Dragon Rouge!

Ahh and yes please add more to the odal lands thread...write-ups and pics would be nice too, eh les boys? Hint! Hint!

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Thread Information