In The Fallout
October 9, 2009
This morning, Americans were greeted with a shocking example of real-life Orwellian doublethink. We found out that Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.
Here is a list of President Barack Obama’s deeds in the pursuit of peace on Earth:
* Issued an order to close the prison facility at Guantanamo Bay, but has not approved any plans to actually do so.
* Oversaw a reduction in actual US troops in Iraq, only to replace them with private mercenaries
* Expanded the war in Afghanistan into Pakistan by increasing the number of air attacks in its border regions
* Increased the number of US troops in Afghanistan by tens of thousands, with many more on the way
* Established a US military presence on Colombian military bases
* Refused to lend even the most superficial support to the political opposition in Iran, even as the regime there publicly executed dissidents
* Stood idly by as police and National Guard troops engaged in one of the most vicious crackdowns against free-speech in recent memory while attending the G20 summit in Pittsburgh, PA
* Has spoken glowingly (particularly during his campaign) of China, and refused to criticize its government’s ever-lengthening list of human rights abuses.
* Continues to allow Blackwater (now Xe) to be awarded defense contracts, even in light of reports of child prostitution rings being run out of it’s facilities in Iraq.
…and the list will continue to grow.
Recently, his administration has begun beating the drums of war with Iran, not in defense of its oppressed citizens of course, but because of claims that the country is developing weapons of mass destruction. Claims that stand in direct contrast to information provided by the International Atomic Energy Agency and even internal US intelligence reports. While there are legitimate reasons to engage in some kind of action against the current Iranian regime–WMD’s are the least of them. Clearly this President isn’t interested in aligning himself with free citizens of a truly liberated Iran, he prefers liberation of the Bush/Cheney variety–more commonly known as starving them with sanctions and then blowing the hell out of them.