View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am NOT Albanian or Greek and I think there is a significant difference.

11 26.83%
  • I am NOT Albanian or Greek and I think they don't look that different.

7 17.07%
  • I am Greek and I think Albanians look different than us.

5 12.20%
  • I am Greek and I think Albanians look like us most of the time.

0 0%
  • I am Albanian and I think Greeks look different than us.

16 39.02%
  • I am Albanian and I think most Greeks look not too different than us.

2 4.88%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: How different do Albanians and Greeks look?

Last Online
    10-30-2021 @ 01:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Balkan
    Country
    Greece
    Y-DNA
    E1b
    Taxonomy
    SlavoVlachoid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,325
    Given: 2,975

0 Not allowed!

to be honest kastrioti, I don't know we can say for certain what are ancient epirote customs, or that such customs were uniform. I do know Albanian invasions into Epirus are recorded in the Middle Ages. In addition, if Tosks are descendants of Illyrians as Ghegs, then there should be Illyrian toponyms in Greece, especially in Epirus, but there aren't. Ok, maybe 2 or 3... but otherwise, there are far more Thracian toponyms in Greece than Illyrian. Furthermore, we know that Halstatt culture of Illyrians does not transfer to Epirus, at least not the territories of what are today Greek Epirus and Albanian "Northern Epirus".

...Nor was this Greek speech derived from the Corinthians and Corinthian colonists; for the dialect of the inscriptions was not Corinthian Doric (indeed even the alphabet was not Corinthian). It was evidently their own traditional Greek, probably West Greek, as some recorded inquiries as Dodona seem to show.
    p. 434, The Cambridge Ancient History, by D. M. Lewis,John Boardman,Simon Hornblower,M. Ostwald ,1994]

Now, since some here define everything solely by blood, I do not deny that Tosks clearly have Epirote "blood"...but that the culture of ancient Epirotes was distinctly Greek, not Illyrian. I guess I am willing to stand corrected on this, but I do think the evidence is stacked against it.

“You are so... 11:59” Kalimtari's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mollusca-Cephalopoda-Octopodiformes-Octopoda
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Tirol
    Hero
    Cthulhu
    Religion
    Cthulhu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,601
    Given: 6,731

1 Not allowed!

I don't regard Greeks as bad looking. They enjoy enough food/nutrients, good health care + that special "Mediterranean pep" in their look. Younger generations are quite handsome in general.

gone
    Last Online
    12-31-2013 @ 09:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    The Greatest Race Ever
    Ethnicity
    Greek
    Country
    Greece
    Religion
    Ultra Orthodox
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 86

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by iNird View Post

Stick to licking Enver Hoxha's balls.
    This only shows your poor character, and the ghetto mentality of those who found it worthy of a thumbs up.
    I wish I was born Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenas replying to "nordic" Solin View Post
    You are still thieves, nothing can change that. Also, if we ask of copyrights for using our civilization, you must give us all of your money and return back in caves from were you came out as well. You owe us much more than we owe to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellenas View Post
    others the perfection of the ancient Greek language that activate unexplored areas of the brain

“You are so... 11:59” Kalimtari's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mollusca-Cephalopoda-Octopodiformes-Octopoda
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Tirol
    Hero
    Cthulhu
    Religion
    Cthulhu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,601
    Given: 6,731

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Scholarios Chiotis View Post
    to be honest kastrioti, I don't know we can say for certain what are ancient epirote customs, or that such customs were uniform. I do know Albanian invasions into Epirus are recorded in the Middle Ages. In addition, if Tosks are descendants of Illyrians as Ghegs, then there should be Illyrian toponyms in Greece, especially in Epirus, but there aren't. Ok, maybe 2 or 3... but otherwise, there are far more Thracian toponyms in Greece than Illyrian. Furthermore, we know that Halstatt culture of Illyrians does not transfer to Epirus, at least not the territories of what are today Greek Epirus and Albanian "Northern Epirus".

...Nor was this Greek speech derived from the Corinthians and Corinthian colonists; for the dialect of the inscriptions was not Corinthian Doric (indeed even the alphabet was not Corinthian). It was evidently their own traditional Greek, probably West Greek, as some recorded inquiries as Dodona seem to show.
    p. 434, The Cambridge Ancient History, by D. M. Lewis,John Boardman,Simon Hornblower,M. Ostwald ,1994]

Now, since some here define everything solely by blood, I do not deny that Tosks clearly have Epirote "blood"...but that the culture of ancient Epirotes was distinctly Greek, not Illyrian. I guess I am willing to stand corrected on this, but I do think the evidence is stacked against it.

would like to ask you your opinion about the origin of ancient Epirotes, because there is a debate between Greeks and Albanians about this issue, and I have confused. I have read the arguments of Greeks and Albanians about the origin of ancient Epirotes.

The arguments of Greeks
    1. Herodotus, the father of History, wrote that ancient Epirotes were Greek Dorians.
    2. Archeologists have found ancient transcripts in Epirus written in Greek Dorian. So ancient Epirotes were Greek and their language was Greek.
    3. Ancient Epirotes worshiped in ancient Greek gods.
    4. Ancient Epirotes had Greek names.
    5. The coins of ancient Epirotes were Greek.
    6. All the modern historians, linguists and archeologists accept that ancient Epirotes were Greeks.
    7. The majority of the population of Epirus in 19th century AD were Greeks, and these people were descendants of ancient Greek Epirotes.
    8. Greeks lived and still live in north Epirus, but Albanians have eliminated them now.

The arguments of Albanians
    1. The ancient Greek historian Thoucydides wrote that Epirotes were barbarians. The term barbarian means that they didn't speak Greek and they were not Greeks.
    2. The ancient geographer Strabo did not consider Epirus as a part of Greece.
    3. Other ancient Greek geographer wrote that the first Greek city was Acarnania, and that this city located after Epirus.
    4. An ancient geopgrapher wrote "After Illirians and Epirotes, Greeks exist''. So Epirotes were not Greeks.
    5. The Greek transcripts in Epirus does not prove that Epirotes were Greeks. Epirotes were Illyrians/Albanians and they were influenced from the Greek Corinthians, a Dorian tribe of south Greece, who colonized Epirus. So Epirotes learnt Greek and adopted to ancient Greek religion.
    6. If Epirus was a Greek land, why ancient Greeks made colonies in Epirus?
    7. Descendants of Illyrians are Chams Albanians, who lived in south Epirus. Chams were the majority of the population in south Epirus, and especially in Chameria. Modern Greeks expelled them, they brought Greeks in these territories and in this way Epirus became Greek.

What do you think? Who is right?
    In Wikipedia it says that ancient Epirotes were Greeks.

First of all it is irrelevant what Greeks and Albanians say in forums. Modern politics have nothing to do with archaeology and linguistics. You just stick to what the mainstream academia and logic says.

Now, lets start with the basics:

1) Greece was not originally a place of Greek-speakers

There were language(s) of the neolithic era that were spoken in Greece such as Minoan or whatever is rendered in Linear A and Cretan hieroglyphics. North Western Greece has now documented findings of such a culture.

2) Proto-Indoeuropean ancestors of the Greek, Phrygian and Armenian speakers settled in the Balkans (Northern Greece, South-East Albania, South FYRO Macedonia) between 2400-2200 B.C. Illyrians didn't reach the current Greek borders before 900 B.C. If Epirus had other ethinicities except from Greek-speakers, there are other hotter candidates than the Illyrians.

3) There's a dialect group of Greek called North-Western Greek which is undecided whether it is a subgroup of Doric or a separate group. The dialects that are included in North-Western Greek are: Epirotan,Acarnanian,Aetolian,Locrian,Phocian,Elean . All of those dialect are well documented nowadays and date from archaic years. There's no doubt they are Greek.

4) Initially V. Georgiev placed proto-Greek mainly in Epirus. This is the common accepted view today amongst linguists. Minor modifications on the original model have been made in relation to the total area proto-Greek spread initially.

Click the image to open in full size.

5) Eleans were named barbarians most of the times by other Greeks, nevertheless, they spoke a vulgar Greek dialect and they were the ones to decide if your ass was Greek enough to participate in the Olympics. Foreign mother? Sorry dude, you're not Greek enough according to the Eleians.

6) It is highly improbable that such a religious sanctuary as Dodone, would be placed outside the Greek world.

7) The placename Ήπειρος - ɛːpeiros and the ethnic Ἠπειρῶται - ɛːpeirɔːtae are an exact match in Greek and mean "mainland" - "inhabitants of the mainland".

8) The name Molossos, is a pre-Greek name. It is neither Greek or "Illyrian". Most people called Molossos are attested in Asia Minor. All the -ssos, -ssa, -ssia, -nthos, -arna etc placenames are pre-Indo-European, shared between Greece and Western Anatolia.

http://historum.com/ancient-history/...albanians.html

Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 07:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Ancestry
    Dardania
    Country
    Kosovo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

This is how Kosovar Albanians look

A crowd video from Prishtina

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 07:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Lost Aryans
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Ancestry
    Steppe.
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Alberta
    Politics
    Honorable Extreme Right Wing
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,168
    Given: 4,910

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ushtari View Post
    This is how Kosovar Albanians look

A crowd video from Prishtina
    That vidio is a good representation, I saw a lot of faces that look like my cousins or relatives, but There are a lot of non-ethnic albanians there since Prishtina is a capital, these 3 vidios where you have only ethnic albanians are much more of better examples:

Banned
    Last Online
    04-03-2015 @ 05:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,564
    Given: 5,232

0 Not allowed!

Albanians are more Alpine,Dinarid and Pontid, Gheg Albanian look more Borreby/Dinarid/Pontid.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

Albanians are pred Neolithic farmers with all that E1b(EV13)there,Greeks have a good amount of E1b too but significantly less.

If Albos claim to be the "Ancient Illyrians" which is about as legit as Fyromians being ancient Macedon,they would have no problem being typical in a Greek crowd.

Last Online
    02-20-2024 @ 08:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyrian
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Ancestry
    Malesor
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    E1b-V13>CTS5856 (subclade-predictor)
    mtDNA
    J1
    Taxonomy
    Alpine-Pontid
    Hero
    Lekë Dukagjini, Gjon Buzuku, Gjergj Kastrioti
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 622

1 Not allowed!

Tbh I don't think Albanians and Greeks look all that similar. I can distinguish a Greek from an Albanian, fairly easily. There is some overlap though, which both Greeks and Albanians can't deny.
    GenePlaza K29 Admix : 90.8% Greek-Albanian

23andme v5 : 99.8% Balkan

DNA.LAND : 100% Balkan

K36 Using 1 population approximation:
    1 Kosovo @ 10,443345 2 Albanians_Montenegro @ 10,594414

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information