A Throng of Fifty Warriors Routed by a Single Scholar : An Exercise in Ogham Decipherment

The discovery of an Ogham stone during an episode of the cult British archaeology programme, Time Team, is something that I have been longing to blog about ever since I saw the first broadcast on January 14th last year. But the only images of the stone and its inscription available on the Time Team website are pitifully small and utterly useless, so I was unable to do anything meaningful ... that is, until the programme was repeated last week, and thanks to 4oD (Channel 4's TV and Film on Demand service) on Monday I was able to download the programme to my computer and take some good quality screen shots of the stone and its inscription.

The Ogham stone in question is a smallish slate slab (about 32cm x 20cm in size) that was found within the subsoil near a grave in Trench 2 of the Time Team excavation at the Speke Farm keeill (chapel) by the seventh fairway of the Mount Murray golf course five miles southwest of Douglas in the south of the Isle of Man. The keeill was built in about the early 11th century on the site of a Christian cemetary (with burials dating from as early as the late 6th century), which itself was on the site of a bronze age burial ground.
Source....http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2008/...routed-by.html