Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a larger divide between Western/Eastern Europe or Northern/Southern Europe?

Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard
    Ancestry
    Castilla la Vieja
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Politics
    nationalism
    Religion
    España
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,976
    Given: 1,059

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula View Post
    Much more north/south than east/west.

The debate over the Eurozone economy is a prime example, with Germany, Netherlands and other northern European countries on one side (including Estonia), and Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Greece on the other. These countries extend from Portugal & Spain on the far western end of Europe to Greece on the far eastern end. The differences over economy arise from basic cultural differences.
    Ireland has more economic problems than Spain & Portugal, not to mention Iceland went bankrupt, and btw Germany is not northern Europe, but Central Europe.
    Last edited by Ibericus; 01-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Lord Protector of Spain, Septimania and Galicia Raikaswinþs's Avatar
    Last Online
    03-10-2017 @ 03:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Escobarian
    Ancestry
    Spain, Poland, Americas
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Taxonomy
    Criollo
    Politics
    San Escobarian Patriot
    Religion
    National Escobarian Church
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,613
    Given: 356

0 Not allowed!

I´d say that there are 5 very well defined european groups of countries.

The Core: France, Germany, Iberia, Italy ,the British Isles and the Benelux.
    The countries that have shaped the history of europe and the world and what we consider the core of the Western Civilization.

The Nordics: Scandinavia and their satelite nations. Who, despite being demographically smaller and having less international impact, during the last decades have developed some of the most egalitarian and succesful societies in the world. Making a smart use of their resources and a very high investment in education and research

The Eastern Borders. Those slavic and baltic nations (with Estonia somehow in between the nordic world and the baltic and slavic) standing between Europe and the Empire. Whose societies have been shaped by the constant strugle between those two civilizations.
    Countries that were erased and redrawed from the maps , proud peoples with a rich and colourful story, although more painful and hard than the average

Similar story with the other group of nations, the ones composing the Balcans and the southern borders , where east meets west, or, in most of the times, where europe clashes with asia.
    It is indeed one of the hottest areas of Europe in terms of climate, but also in terms of political convulsion, wars, ethnic conflicts, religion wars. Diversity, beauty and all in one. Probably the most extreme region of europe. Europe would not exist without the Balcans and their constant defend of those borders.Also some of the most important traits of european civilization were born here

finaly the central european nations, the core of the old austrio -hungarian empire. With relative stable and prosperous nations from several origins , such as slavic, germanic and mediterranean, interlinked again after half century of cold war.

Probably the biggest contrast in europe can be found between the Core Western countries and the Nordic countries when compared with the Eastern and Southern borders .Although essentially, the five groups live in very different contexts . Those contexts however aren´t isolated from one another. There is a constant flock between them.They affect each other. They are part of the same big thing called Europe
    Last edited by Raikaswinþs; 01-17-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-11-2022 @ 10:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula View Post
    Much more north/south than east/west.

The debate over the Eurozone economy is a prime example, with Germany, Netherlands and other northern European countries on one side (including Estonia), and Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Greece on the other. These countries extend from Portugal & Spain on the far western end of Europe to Greece on the far eastern end. The differences over economy arise from basic cultural differences.

It doesnt make too much sense considering that Ireland and Iceland are more fucked up than Italy, Spain or Portugal. Both northern countries were already rescued and It-Sp-Pt not. And about Estonia, Spain or Italy have a GDP per capita twice higher than them, the economic gap is pretty big. It´s easier to grow faster when your economy is not developed yet . You can check China or Brazil and compare their growth with USA or Japan.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by celtabria View Post
    Yep, even little Wales (not part of England) is split between North and South with regional differences - the Northerners are called "Gogs" or something, I forget what the Southern Welsh are called, but to the English they're both the same
    Hwntws!

As for differences in Europe, one can't say that east is more different from west, than south is to north. Europe is labyrinthine.

Last Online
    09-17-2023 @ 02:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 911
    Given: 1,954

0 Not allowed!

Speculative Main Migration Routes Map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speculative Main Migration Routes Map.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	6823  

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-11-2022 @ 10:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

0 Not allowed!

Talking about economy again, I´ve forgotten to say that the differences West-East are much more important than North-South.
    For example, France is richer than Spain and Austria is richer than Italy but the gap between Germany-Poland or Finland-Estonia is way bigger. Also Spain, Portugal or Italy are richer than any northeastern country by far (Baltic countries, Ukraine... or any other ex-commie country)

Last Online
    02-14-2015 @ 01:48 PM
    The true West Europe, Core of the Atlantic Facade.
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtibero, Old Westerner, Atlantic Facade and 100% pure Iberian.
    Ethnicity
    Cantabri, Tierruca.
    Ancestry
    Mother Spain, father Spain ect....Until the first amoeba.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Conquistador 100% Pure Iberian
    Politics
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Religion
    Spanish Inquisition.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,607
    Given: 3,171

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Inese View Post
    Hm i dont know but some people here talk bad about Nordicists when users have a focus for Northern European countrys and Nordic traits in European people!! You know , there are more Southern Europeans than Northern European at Apricity and it is hard sometimes --- they come often as a group and attack the opinion. I dont like it but i dont retreat with my opinion, it is my right!! I am Northern European and the Northern countrys are more important to me than Southern countrys , to understand the logic behind it does not need a genius!! ^_^
    "Is there a larger divide between Western/Eastern Europe or Northern/Southern Europe?"

Some people are blind to reality.

Espada tengo. Lo demás, Dios lo remedie.

In the west almost all Spain had been subjugated, except that part which adjoins the cliffs where the Pyrenees end and is washed by the nearer waters of the ocean. Here two powerful nations, the Cantabrians and the Asturians, lived in freedom from the rule of Rome.")
    — Lucius Anneus Florus , Epitome de T. Livio Bellorum omnium annorum DCC Libri duo Bellum Cantabricum et Asturicum

Ethnicity of the Celts/Iberian. Tribes: Avariginos, Blendi, Concanos, Coniscos, Orgenomescos, Plentusios, Tamáricos and Vadinienses.--->http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...40#post3047240

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

There are definetly divides in Europe.
    From a Nordic perspective we are definetly not the same as Greeks, Italians or Spaniards. They have a different mentality from us which we could call the "manana, manana and siesta"- culture. Southerners are viewed as pushy with a broader concept of morality. (Think: Italian footballplayer filming great pain and agony)
    Also there is a very significant east/west divide. Nordic peoples view Bulgarians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Russians e.t.c. as dispensable, with a lower morale and are untrustworthy partners in negotiations. (Think; organised crime and broken agreements)

Last Online
    12-22-2013 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Slavo-Illyrian Serb
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 272

0 Not allowed!

I would have to say more on the East/West divide. But then again, how do we define in this context the northern and the southern, the eastern and the western? Every country looks at its neighbor in funny way.

Last Online
    10-04-2017 @ 04:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hap Groups: Pat: I1* Mat: U2e1a
    Ethnicity
    American of 100% Euro Descent
    Ancestry
    Northern France Pas-de-Calais (French Flanders, Douai) Various parts of England
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Acadiana
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized Keltic-Nordid
    Politics
    Undone
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

This is great thread, I was actually thinking about the OPs question a few days ago.

I think the most interesting aspect is discussing WHERE the lines are drawn (if they are to be drawn at all).

As an American I feel a bit out of place offering my opinion regarding the cultural aspect (for obvious reasons) but I'd IMAGINE they'd be more difference from an East-to-West gradient (or vice-versa) due to the Soviet Era.

From a genetic standpoint it gets even trickier due to even more overlapping, so it's hard to draw any clear cutoff line. However, from most testing results I've seen, The Alps seem to be commonly used as a geographic mark to separate Europeans into a N/S/E/W divide. This gives us four subsets: Northwest Europeans, Southwest Europeans, Northeast Europeans, and Southeast Europeans.

Personally I find this to be the most agreeable compromise I've seen even though it splits some countries in half.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information