Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Guide gives ‘rude’ Scots a rough ride

Scots are rude and superstitious, Ben Nevis, Britain’s tallest peak, is a “biggish hill” and Loch Ness is a “dull waterway”. Welcome to Scotland, according to a new guide aimed at American visitors.

Culture Smart! Scotland bills itself as the definitive guide to the country and its customs. However, the book, part of a series covering 60 countries that has sold hundreds of thousands of copies worldwide, paints an inaccurate and unflattering picture of Scotland and its inhabitants.
    The guide, which has just gone on sale in America and Canada, dismisses Scots as blunt, intemperate and quick to take offence. “To the unprepared such bluntness may seem downright rude,” it states. “Be warned that these same forthright people can be very touchy and extremely easily offended if you speak to them in the same vein.”

It adds: “Scotsmen can indeed be very intemperate. They often have very firm opinions and are prepared to defend them forcefully.”
    The book asserts that the sectarian divide means “some Protestants will not allow green objects in their home”.
    Scots are obsessed with the supernatural, it asserts. They refer to fairies as their “guid neighbours” and plant Rowan trees outside their homes to ward off witches, it claims.

Addressing food, the guide informs readers that porridge, followed by Arbroath smokies remains the “standard breakfast” and that “Highlanders have no great love for pork”.
    While promising readers advice on how to avoid making gaffes when visiting Scotland, the guide is littered with mistakes. It states that the country was once ruled by the “Steward” dynasty, misspells Shetland’s Viking pageant as “Up Helly Ya” and has the name of the Scottish founder of the Labour party as “Kier” Hardie.

The guide also puts Aberdeen in the Highlands.

Turning its attention to Scottish landmarks and icons, the guide states: “People speak of the ‘mountains’ of Scotland, but by international standards Ben Nevis and Ben Macdhui hardly count as more than biggish hills.” Loch Ness is one of Scotland’s “duller lochs”. Meanwhile, Robert Burns is described as having “nothing much to say about religion”. The poet’s 1785 work, Holy Willie’s Prayer, is widely regarded as one of the most eloquent denunciations of the hypocrisy of organised religion.
    Dealing with more contemporary matters, the book declares: “The recession demonstrated how much the success of the Scottish Parliament’s policies was based on subsidy from England. Most Scottish businessmen recognise London as the financial power base without which the Scottish economy would collapse.”

Mike Russell the culture minister, described the guide, which will also be sold in the UK, as “spectacularly ill- informed about the realities of modern day Scotland”.
    Last night the book’s author, John Scotney, a former London-based BBC producer and historian, apologised for the inaccuracies.
    “One does not like to make mistakes, but I take full responsibility,” he said. “I am not particularly worried about one or two of them, but I’m rather embarrassed about some of the others. I hope the people in Scotland will be kind and not think too badly of me.”

A spokesman for Kuperard, the book’s publisher, said: “These are embarrassing mistakes that will certainly be corrected in the next edition.”
    Source

“spectacularly ill- informed about the realities of modern day Scotland”.
    Hang on: "Scots are rude and superstitious", "blunt, intemperate and quick to take offence", "very firm opinions and are prepared to defend them forcefully", "some Protestants will not allow green objects in their home" and “The recession demonstrated how much the success of the Scottish Parliament’s policies was based on subsidy from England. Most Scottish businessmen recognise London as the financial power base without which the Scottish economy would collapse"

I'd say it nearly hits the mark. I say nearly, because I can be 'rude and superstitious' and take offence at the drop of the hat, but then I realised that I was wrong; apologised to myself profusely and looked around to see if anyone wanted to have my seat.

fair of skin and dark of heart
    Last Online
    11-20-2011 @ 11:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Atlantis
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

did geistfaust write it?

Banned
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 09:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-Irish-Scot 1/8th Italian
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Master Morality/Prussianism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by moonmaiden View Post
    did geistfaust write it?
    Sounds like something I would write the Scottish Brunns and redheads are definitely creating an issue with the population they are too intemperate and wild that they are giving foreigners a bad concept of Scotland. This is because these peoples represent the most primitive and archaic elements of the British Isles and they do not feel happy that their mystique and primitive instinct is being messed around with by tourist who do not quite understand themselves. The Scottish Brunns are the most misunderstood individuals in human history or at least they perceive it to be that way that is why they are inclined to violent outbursts at times to display their frustration with the poor sense of understanding garnered between their less mystical and spiritual British Isle or tourist counterparts.

Last Online
    11-06-2016 @ 01:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Finland
    Region
    Alberta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Are you sure it wasn't a spoof? Sounds like spoof material.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Co. Mayo, Baden, Hessen Darmstadt, Rhine-Hessen, Berliner, Co Monaghan, Lower Saxony, and Co. Cork
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I have read this a lot must be the Norse influences in the Scottish people that have made them like this Scotch Irish and Ulster Scots had similar temperates to the Scottish people. I know for the Scotch Irish and the Ulster Scots this temperament was necessary in being able to found the USA and get it off the launching pad. There were some Scots who emigrated to Prussia and they explained how the Prussian/Scottish mix produced a very internally passionate individual who was not expressive of their deep spiritual fervor but who took their opinions very ferociously and would defend them even to the point of violent outbursts. This stereotype with the Scottish people is sort of true but I think its more of a positive than a negative personality trait because they are very territorial and are not afraid to speak on behalf of their traditions and cultural opinions more people should emulate the Scots. up

Banned
    Last Online
    05-02-2012 @ 09:24 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Arab
    Ethnicity
    Palestinian
    Country
    Australia
    Politics
    SSNP
    Religion
    Islam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

GeistFaust you are batshit insane.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    GeistFaust you are batshit insane.
    Yes I know I was just trying to find a anthropological sub type in Scotland for the above listed issues tourist had with Scottish people I doubt it would be the Halstatts, North Atlantics, Tronders so I thought I would blame it on a Cro Magnon variant since everyone is blaming the Cro Magnons for being too violent or criminally oriented.

Last Online
    02-08-2013 @ 03:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Leinster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GeistFaust View Post
    Yes I know I was just trying to find a anthropological sub type in Scotland for the above listed issues tourist had with Scottish people I doubt it would be the Halstatts, North Atlantics, Tronders so I thought I would blame it on a Cro Magnon variant since everyone is blaming the Cro Magnons for being too violent or criminally oriented.
    No, no they're not. People in the real world rarely if ever mention European racial sub types, much less work them into their fantasy image of social and political issues.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Lower Saxony
    Taxonomy
    Faelid+North Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarianism
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    No, no they're not. People in the real world rarely if ever mention European racial sub types, much less work them into their fantasy image of social and political issues.
    I was just joking around I think this topic is sort of spoofish and I was just trying to show those who are familiar with my Anthropological romanticism the typical obsession I have with sub types and attitudes and behaviors.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-05-2013 @ 10:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

0 Not allowed!

Not accurate at all. But the male Scots having super opinions....sounds like me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information