Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Anger as white woman wins black college beauty pageant

Nikole Churchill, 22, won the contest at the college town in southern Virginia, but while she was all smiles, not everyone in the community was happy about the victory, the Times reports.

As well as the walkout, Miss Churchill had to contend with scowls, rather than the traditional sunny smiles, when she posed for a portrait with the runners up. All nine of the other contestants in the competition were black.

The following day Miss Churchill was heckled at a college football game and a previous Miss Hampton University said she was "very shocked" there was a white winner. "We've never had one before," Patrece Parson said.
    In response, Miss Churchill, whose father is from Guam, wrote an open letter to President Barack Obama, saying: "I feel as though you could relate to my situation.

"I am sad to say that my crowning was not widely accepted . . . the true reason for the disapproval was because of the colour of my skin.
    "I am not African-American."
    The letter also caused offence, with Brittany Riddock, a second-year student, telling The Washington Post there was "no comparison between a black man becoming President and a white woman winning a beauty pageant at a black school".

Hampton University, at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, is one of more than 80 historically black colleges in the US whose student populations are only gradually coming to reflect the diversity they exist to promote, largely because non-blacks have been slow to apply to them.
    Source

Apparently you can't be racist towards white people!

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

To be fair, she was probably the prettiest one there.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Some very beautiful black woman can be errr, okay, still I'd rather take a whole average European chick.

Congrats to her.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Last Online
    04-14-2011 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Krauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

She isn't white, she's hapa.

When Barack Obama left Hawaii to go to college at Occidental College, he quickly abandoned Hawaii's broadly favorable cultural attitude toward 'mixed' marriages in order to embrace "authentic black experience"

...let's meet the newly minted beauty queen, Nikole Churchill who, like Obama, grew up in Hawaii and upon leaving for college for the first time encounters racial attitudes on the Mainland.

Nikole Churchill is hapa (Hawaiian for 'mixed'), so why is she labeled "white" by AP?

source

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

I don't understand why anyone would take their anger out on the girl who won. She didn't choose herself, it was up to the panel of judges and if there aren't any rules stating that non-whites can't compete, there's nothing stopping the judges from choosing a non-black contestant. Heckling her for something she couldn't control makes no sense.

And anyway, the fact that institutions of higher-learning still support ridiculous beauty pageants is the most disturbing thing of all about this story IMO.

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymaus View Post
    She isn't white, she's hapa.
    I was thinking that she doesn't look allwhite.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    I was thinking that she doesn't look allwhite.
    Or beautiful.

Mystic Oracle of Nordicist Purity ikki's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-27-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aldebaran
    Ethnicity
    Finnswede
    Country
    Finland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

But the competition esp on the far-right... lol

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    Or beautiful.
    I wouldn't say that. She still has beauty.

Here's the letter to Obama in full too. Very heart wrenching stuff

Aloha Mr. Obama!
    My name is Nikole Churchill, a senior nursing major at Hampton University. This past Friday October 9, 2009, I was honored to be crowned Miss Hampton University 2009-2010. It truly was the best night of my life! With that being said, I am sad to say that my crowning was not widely accepted and many negative comments regarding my win have been shared throughout my campus.
    It would be much easier to say that possibly some were not accepting of the news because I wasn’t the most qualified contestant; however, the true reason for the disapproval was because of the color of my skin. I am not African American. Despite the unfortunate beliefs that some are saying I should not have won, I am desperately trying to focus on those who believe in me and support me and my goal to represent this beautiful, multicultural campus the very best way that I can. I would love your help!
    I am hoping that perhaps you would be able to make an appearance to my campus, Hampton University, so that my fellow Hamptonians can stop focusing so much on the color of my skin and doubting my abilities to represent, but rather be proud of the changes our nation is making towards accepting diversity. People are even nicknaming me, “lil Obama” because of various reasons. This is truly an honor as well!
    I am also from Hawaii (Wahiawa) and I am hoping that you can assist me in opening some closed minds and help share some aloha spirit throughout my campus. I feel as though you could relate to my situation, which is why I immediately wanted to contact you. I was interviewed last night at the HU vs. HU football game by news channel 13 and I mentioned how individuals such as you and myself are making changes in hopes people can stop placing so much focus on our skin color by letting that define what we can, cannot, should, and/or should not do. Dr. Harvey welcomed me last night to the family with open arms and I was beyond honored when he told me that he is behind me 100%. I am proud to represent Hampton University and I am so proud having you to represent our home, our country. Your support with my crowning as Miss Hampton University 2009-2010 would be graciously appreciated. Please reply, I will be looking forward to it!
    -Nikole Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information