PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
quotes that describe the character of your ethnicity (from books, articles, old interviews, etc.) - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: quotes that describe the character of your ethnicity (from books, articles, old interviews, etc.)

korkolola

2 Not allowed!

Apparently nearly all countries breed great soldiers.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

3 Not allowed!

Taken from another site:

An exceprt from The English Longbowman 1330-1515.

"Perhaps the best description of English archers we have is from a Spanish chronicle from the end of the 15th century, especially important as it was written by an impartial foreign observer. It is valuable because it illustrates the attitude of the English soldier and his behavior in battle and proves the exceptions to the normally accepted ratio of men-at-arms to archers and the way of fighting.
    In 1486 Sir Edward Woodville took a retinue of 200 men-at-arms and 100 archers to Spain to help fight the Moors in the conquest of Granada. Friar Antonio Agapida, when writing his 'chronicle of the conquest of Granada' described the the Englishmen thus : 'This cavalier was from the island of England and brought with him a train of his vassals, men who had been hardened in certain civil wars that had raged in their country. They were a comely race of man but too fair and fresh for [the appearance] of warriors. They were huge feeders and deep carousers and could not accommodate themselves to the sober diet of our troops, but must fain eat and drink after the manner of their own country. They were often noisy and unruly, also, in their wassail and their quarter of the camp was prone to be a scene of loud revel and sudden brawl, they were withal great pride, yet it was not like our inflammable Spanish pride... their pride was silent and contumelious. Though from a remote and somewhat barbarous island, they yet believed themselves the most perfect men on earth... With all this, it must be said of them that they were marvelous good men in the field, dexterous archers and powerful with the battle-axe. In their great pride and self will, they always sought to press in their advantage and take the post of the danger... They did not rush in fiercely, or make a brilliant onset, like the Moorish and Spanish troops but when into the fight deliberately, and persisted obstinately and were slow to find out when they were beaten'.

And later, in recording an action during the siege of the Moorish city of Loja, the friar continued 'He [ i.e. Woodville] was followed by a body of his yeomen armed in a like manner [that is, with swords and battle axes] and by a band of archers with bows made of the tough English yew tree. The earl turned to his troops and addressed them bluntly according to the manner of the country. "Remember my merry men all" he said, "the eyes of strangers are upon you. You are in a foreign land, fighting for the glory of God and the honour of Merry Old England!" A loud shout was the reply. The earl waved his battle-axe over his head. "St.George for England" he cried. they soon made their way into the midst the enemy but when engaged in the hottest of the fight they made no shouts or outcries. they passed steadily forward dealing blows right and left, hewing down Moors, and cutting their way with their battle axes like woodmen in the forest, while the archers, pressing into the opening they made, plied their bows vigorously and spread death on every side'."

Eating all your Kings and Queens Atlantic Islander's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-29-2014 @ 05:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Azores
    mtDNA
    H1
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,204
    Given: 10,750

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by korkolola View Post
    Apparently nearly all countries breed great soldiers.
    Most of the quotes I posted were about farming and ingenuity. :icon_cheesygrin:

korkolola

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Islander View Post
    Most of the quotes I posted were about farming and ingenuity. :icon_cheesygrin:
    I was not referring to your posts.

Eating all your Kings and Queens Atlantic Islander's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-29-2014 @ 05:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Azores
    mtDNA
    H1
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,204
    Given: 10,750

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by korkolola View Post
    I was not referring to your posts.
    I know. I'm just saying that I'm one of the only ones that didn't post about warrior traits.

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic.
    Ethnicity
    Iberian/French/Native.
    Ancestry
    60% Spaniard, 25% French, 15% Native American (Guesstimated)
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Castilla
    mtDNA
    C
    Taxonomy
    "Atlantid/Atlantomediterranid and Cromagnid with a possible Alpinoid tendency".-Agrippa-
    Politics
    Center Left.
    Hero
    Francisco Vazquez de Coronado.
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,637
    Given: 12,702

6 Not allowed!

About México.

Salvador Dalí.

"There is no way I could return to Mexico. I hate being in a country that is more surreal than my paintings. "

The Battle of San Pasqual was a military encounter that occurred during the Mexican-American War in what is now the San Pasqual Valley community of the city of San Diego, California. On December 6 and December 7, 1846, the Californios, and their Presidial Lancers, led by General Don Andres Pico, (1810-1876), defeated Stephen W. Kearny´s US Army column of 150 men.

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 10:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic.
    Ethnicity
    Iberian/French/Native.
    Ancestry
    60% Spaniard, 25% French, 15% Native American (Guesstimated)
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Castilla
    mtDNA
    C
    Taxonomy
    "Atlantid/Atlantomediterranid and Cromagnid with a possible Alpinoid tendency".-Agrippa-
    Politics
    Center Left.
    Hero
    Francisco Vazquez de Coronado.
    Religion
    Catholic.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,637
    Given: 12,702

2 Not allowed!

"We have over Mexicans such superiority of race, organization, discipline, morality and elevated sentiments that I beg Your Excellency to tell His Majesty the Emperor that from now on, leading 6000 of his soldiers I own Mexico."

Count of Lorencez weeks before French army got defeated in batte of 5 de Mayo.

The Battle of San Pasqual was a military encounter that occurred during the Mexican-American War in what is now the San Pasqual Valley community of the city of San Diego, California. On December 6 and December 7, 1846, the Californios, and their Presidial Lancers, led by General Don Andres Pico, (1810-1876), defeated Stephen W. Kearny´s US Army column of 150 men.

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

2 Not allowed!

The "funny" thing here is I was searching for some of the old anti-Irish cartoons from 1800s and turns out this one is from an english paper in the 1980s.

It's funny how media is so catered to be pro-immigrant and pro-everything in England, except pro-Irish.

The ultimate in psychopathic horror Well true enough if you deserve it, I guess.
    Last edited by Prisoner Of Ice; 10-20-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Last Online
    06-10-2015 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 792

1 Not allowed!

The Arameans defended their nationality with the weapons of intellect as well as with their blood against all the allurements of Greek civilization and all the coercive measures of eastern and western despots, and that with an obstinacy which no Indo- Germanic people has ever equalled, and which to us who are Occidentals seems to be sometimes more, sometimes less, than human
    From Professor Theodor Mommsen's book The History of Rome.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

3 Not allowed!

"The sun never set on the British Empire, for God would not trust an Englishman in the dark" -some jealous Frenchman

"Sir, if I were not a Frenchman, I would wish to be an Englishman." French ambassador, c.1900
    "And if I were not an Englishman, I would wish to be an Englishman." British diplomat's response

"Ma'am, I have seen their backs before." -the Duke of Wellington to a sympathetic bystander, after French officers turned around and refused to acknowledge him at a political even in Vienna sometime after 1816
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information