Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,590
    Given: 16,990

1 Not allowed!

Default Students drop maths, science

Students drop maths, science

The report suggests an urgent review of school policies is needed to encourage more students to study maths and science.

Urgent review of HSC policy, including the reinstatement of maths and science as compulsory subjects, is needed in order to curb a "disappointing" decline in the disciplines over the past decade, a new report by University of Sydney researchers has found.

The report shows Australia risks falling even further behind in international educational benchmarks unless there are major reforms to boost the flagging number of students studying maths and science combinations in their HSC.

Honorary Associate Professor John Mack, from the School of Mathematics and Statistics, Dr Rachel Wilson from the Faculty of Education and Social Work, and the late Barry Walsh analysed data from all Year 8 cohorts in NSW between 2001 and 2011. The researchers analysed trends in subject choices to reveal the percentage of students who go on to study maths/science combinations for their HSC.

The authors found that some 1043 fewer students completed a maths/science combination in their HSC, despite the overall student cohort rising five percent over this same period. In 2011, just 16.2 percent of students went on to study mathematics plus at least one science subject in the HSC, compared with 18.3 per cent in 2001.

The declines were most pronounced among female students, with the proportion of girls undertaking these subjects falling from 16.8 percent in 2001 to 13.8 percent in 2011. Gender disparity has increased, with less female students undertaking maths/science combinations in their HSC now than in the 1980s.

Co-author Dr Rachel Wilson says the figures highlight wider issues of maths and science attainment inherent in the NSW education system.

"This is just another disturbing element of what is a pretty depressing picture," she says.

"Our paper shows there's a gender disparity, but there's complete stagnation of the male rate as well. The problem is more than one of gender."

Reintroducing compulsory maths and science subjects is necessary to help safeguard Australia's future prosperity, with these subjects at the centre of 21st century skills, Dr Wilson says.

"That seems like quite a steep requirement, but we must remember that it was in place until 2001. Even with the reinstatement of these subjects, we are still behind current international benchmarks in terms of the sorts of curriculum covered for high school graduation."

She points to South Korea, Japan, China and Finland as examples of countries that require all university entrants to have attained mathematics abilities.

"If we're to remain economically competitive, we must make some tough decisions about this issue," she says.

Honorary Associate Professor John Mack says the report also raises significant questions over the preparedness of school-leavers for entry into university, especially in maths, science and engineering fields.

"An ATAR by itself won't necessarily enable you to make up the knowledge and skills gaps in these 'barrier' first year subjects," he says.

"In my experience, short-term bridging courses, offered over the summer break, rarely provide a coverage sufficient to provide that extra knowledge and understanding that can make all the difference to a first-year experience."

The authors call for universities to reintroduce appropriate HSC prerequisites for normal entry into selected degree programs, as well as public education programs on the importance of these disciplines, as a way to redress the stagnation and decline in student participation rates.

Source: http://mail.sciencealert.com.au/news...210-24920.html

Fuhrer
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 05:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )
    Ethnicity
    ( º ͜ʖ ͡º)
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    Lord Howe Island
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,336
    Given: 685

0 Not allowed!

Not surprising, Math/Science requires brain power and i can't say many people have this gift

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-22-2017 @ 09:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 87

0 Not allowed!

Interesting that Math and Science classes aren't compulsory there. In Germany you have to take math in all classes and at least several years of science subjects.
    To reach university admittance you also have to pass extensive math exams (or at least exams in sciences, depending in which state you are)

Last Online
    03-26-2017 @ 07:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    !
    Ethnicity
    !
    Country
    Estonia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 22

2 Not allowed!

I think most people have never been good at those things.

I had a hell of a shit time in school because of those subjects. Never used any of it again after graduation. Most people dont. You cant force interest nor talent.
    Peope are good at different things, and most people are mediocre at everything. According to some tests at school I am above average at language and creative stuff and waaaay below average at maths.

Last Online
    08-10-2015 @ 06:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Blueish
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Cavemen from Thrace.
    Country
    Brasil
    Politics
    No thanks.
    Religion
    Universe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

People should focus on what they are good and really interested at. While numeracy and basic knowledge of science, history and literature and so on are very important, if a person wants to be a musician they really don't need to get deep in these subjects.

I feel lightly humorous when I see someone thinking they know better what's the best for another person. Quite pretentious.

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 02:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican
    Ancestry
    Iberian (Spaniard), Native American (Taino), African (West African and North African [Guanche]).
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2
    mtDNA
    C1b4
    Taxonomy
    fine as hell
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,925
    Given: 1,401

0 Not allowed!

Alright science not so bad I can deal and I do well in my Biology courses. But holy fuck Math blows. Precalc sucks, Calc SUCKS, Calc 2 pray for me. College Algebra was easy as fuck though. But Calc SUCKS. SUCKS.
    Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 Oracle-x ------------------ McDonald results
    Spanish_Galicia 43.35% ------------------ Spain - 42.3%
    North_Amerindian 14.83% -----------French - 19.9%
    Spanish_Extremadura 8.70% --------Maya - 16.1%
    Bantu_S.E. 8.62% ------------- Moroccan - 13.9%
    Algerian 5.98% --------------------- Yoruba - 7.8%
    Portuguese 4.68%
    Orcadian 4.15%

Last Online
    08-10-2015 @ 06:50 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Blueish
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Ancestry
    Cavemen from Thrace.
    Country
    Brasil
    Politics
    No thanks.
    Religion
    Universe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 118

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropico View Post
    Alright science not so bad I can deal and I do well in my Biology courses. But holy fuck Math blows. Precalc sucks, Calc SUCKS, Calc 2 pray for me. College Algebra was easy as fuck though. But Calc SUCKS. SUCKS.
    Calculus is sometimes confusing. But a good training in Sets, Functions, Analytic Geometry would solve the problem.

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 02:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican
    Ancestry
    Iberian (Spaniard), Native American (Taino), African (West African and North African [Guanche]).
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2
    mtDNA
    C1b4
    Taxonomy
    fine as hell
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,925
    Given: 1,401

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuc View Post
    Calculus is sometimes confusing. But a good training in Sets, Functions, Analytic Geometry would solve the problem.
    Its the Trig parts that KILL ME. Im good at the Algebra based parts but the Trig blows. lol
    Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 Oracle-x ------------------ McDonald results
    Spanish_Galicia 43.35% ------------------ Spain - 42.3%
    North_Amerindian 14.83% -----------French - 19.9%
    Spanish_Extremadura 8.70% --------Maya - 16.1%
    Bantu_S.E. 8.62% ------------- Moroccan - 13.9%
    Algerian 5.98% --------------------- Yoruba - 7.8%
    Portuguese 4.68%
    Orcadian 4.15%

Insufferable by many Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Bros over hoes
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,166
    Given: 13,531

1 Not allowed!

Calculus and Algebra are tought in math Gymansiums for the entire 12th grade starting with linear algebra in the 11th grade. The lecturing is of course not much concentrated on proves of theorems, but hat is how it should be everywhere, not only in math Gymnasiums.
    Last edited by Insuperable; 12-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information